Proposal to expose calendar view information to screen readers

Proposal to expose calendar view information to screen readers

Marco Zehe-3
Hi there!

At
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/CalendarExposure,
I've started a proposal to expose calendar view information such as the
one in the Lightning extension for Thunderbird, to assistive
technologies such as screen readers.

Since there is not much to go on in terms of previous implementations,
we're basically free to set the standard here, or as some would say who
have fought calendaring apps in the past, to finally set *a* standard.

It is hoped that this proposal, once formulated out and implemented in
Lightning, will also become part of other web-based calendars such as
Google Calendar.

I therefore encourage everyone interested or involved to take a look and
add to the page as I will most probably not have covered all features.
Being blind myself, there is a very good chance I'm missing out on a lot
of information.

Thanks!
Marco

Re: Proposal to expose calendar view information to screen readers

Aaron Leventhal-3
Marco,

What's an "item" that aria-calstatus, etc. would go on?

- Aaron

On 1/7/2009 8:02 AM, Marco Zehe wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> At
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/CalendarExposure,
> I've started a proposal to expose calendar view information such as the
> one in the Lightning extension for Thunderbird, to assistive
> technologies such as screen readers.
>
> Since there is not much to go on in terms of previous implementations,
> we're basically free to set the standard here, or as some would say who
> have fought calendaring apps in the past, to finally set *a* standard.
>
> It is hoped that this proposal, once formulated out and implemented in
> Lightning, will also become part of other web-based calendars such as
> Google Calendar.
>
> I therefore encourage everyone interested or involved to take a look and
> add to the page as I will most probably not have covered all features.
> Being blind myself, there is a very good chance I'm missing out on a lot
> of information.
>
> Thanks!
> Marco

Re: Proposal to expose calendar view information to screen readers

Marco Zehe-3
Hi Aaron,

On 07.01.2009 09:52, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> What's an "item" that aria-calstatus, etc. would go on?

An item within a day or month view. For example: If you have an all-day
appointment set for the 8th of January, and you navigate to that day in
the day view, the individual time slots would get that state set to
"busy" or "booked", or whatever we agree upon.

Likewise, in the month view, the item for that particular day would get
this status set to indicate that there is something going on on that day.

Marco

Re: Proposal to expose calendar view information to screen readers

Aaron Leventhal-3
What role do those items have?

I suggest we do this with ARIA extensibility, to lead the way to making
official extensions.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/JSON_ARIA
This means you need to write up the JSON description of each new role,
what they inherit from, and what new properties they support.

For example, a role of "calday" could inherit from "cell". By doing this
we can get started on a compelling example of how custom widgets will be
developed. It's a longer route than just throwing in new properties, but
much better in the long run.

- Aaron

On 1/7/2009 10:09 AM, Marco Zehe wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> On 07.01.2009 09:52, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>> What's an "item" that aria-calstatus, etc. would go on?
>
> An item within a day or month view. For example: If you have an all-day
> appointment set for the 8th of January, and you navigate to that day in
> the day view, the individual time slots would get that state set to
> "busy" or "booked", or whatever we agree upon.
>
> Likewise, in the month view, the item for that particular day would get
> this status set to indicate that there is something going on on that day.
>
> Marco

Re: Proposal to expose calendar view information to screen readers

Marco Zehe-3
Hi Aaron,

Are the infrastructural things in place to digest such JSON files? In
other words, do we do something with this yet in Firefox if we see it,
like turning properties into object attributes?

The problem is that the Calendar needs to be at least partially
accessible for Thunderbird 3.0/Lightning 1.0, which will be based on
Gecko 1.9.1. If we need to make changes to turn such JSON properties
into object attributes, there is no way we can make this happen for
Gecko 1.9.1 AFAICS.

In principle, I agree that this would be a great example for role
extensibility via JSON, since these will be things like gridcell, grid
etc. ARIA roles augmented with custom attributes.

Marco

On 07.01.2009 11:03, Aaron Leventhal wrote:

> What role do those items have?
>
> I suggest we do this with ARIA extensibility, to lead the way to making
> official extensions.
>
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/JSON_ARIA
> This means you need to write up the JSON description of each new role,
> what they inherit from, and what new properties they support.
>
> For example, a role of "calday" could inherit from "cell". By doing this
> we can get started on a compelling example of how custom widgets will be
> developed. It's a longer route than just throwing in new properties, but
> much better in the long run.
>
> - Aaron
>

> On 1/7/2009 10:09 AM, Marco Zehe wrote:
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> On 07.01.2009 09:52, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>>> What's an "item" that aria-calstatus, etc. would go on?
>>
>> An item within a day or month view. For example: If you have an all-day
>> appointment set for the 8th of January, and you navigate to that day in
>> the day view, the individual time slots would get that state set to
>> "busy" or "booked", or whatever we agree upon.
>>
>> Likewise, in the month view, the item for that particular day would get
>> this status set to indicate that there is something going on on that day.
>>
>> Marco

Re: Proposal to expose calendar view information to screen readers

Aaron Leventhal-3
Marco, at this point your attributes will be exposed, but the info in
the JSON won't be.

We can take a two-pronged approach -- short and long term access goals.
For access in Tbird 3 and Lightning 1 we can just hard code the meaning
of those things into the AT. However, we should still do the JSON file.
This is our chance to think things through and start on the long term
journey.

- Aaron