Proposal: Chainable do sugar

Paul Gray

Hello friends!

I’d love to discuss the potential for syntax sugar around a popular fp pattern, chainables!

I’ve written up a document here with the details.

I’ve also written a small Babel plugin that implements this. Here’s a codesandbox with it loaded up.

Thanks for your time!

- Paul Gray

Re: Proposal: Chainable do sugar

David Rajchenbach-Teller-2
Fwiw, generators can already be used as syntactic sugar for monads.

Cheers,
 David

THIS MESSAGE AND ITS IP ADDRESS HAVE BEEN LOGGED. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE
FROM YOUR COMPUTER. YOU WILL SHORTLY RECEIVE A VISIT FROM THE IMPERATIVE
BRIGADE.

On 18/01/2019 06:32, Michael Luder-Rosefield wrote:
> It's OK, you can say the m-word here. Monad. See? Nothing bad wi--
>
> -TRANSMISSION LOST

Re: Proposal: Chainable do sugar

Paul Gray

I would say "Monad" is a very precise term with lawful implications.I left it out since there is no requirement for the value to actually be a monad (Only that it has a chain and map method, hence 'chainable').

Not sure if it's worth being that precise, though.

"flatMap" is also another option, instead of "chain" (especially since arrays now have flatMap)

I believe generators only work for certain monads, as explained here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/32192145

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 7:42 AM Paul Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would say "Monad" is a very precise term with lawful implications.I left it out since there is no requirement for the value to actually be a monad (Only that it has a chain and map method, hence 'chainable').

Not sure if it's worth being that precise, though.

"flatMap" is also another option, instead of "chain" (especially since arrays now have flatMap)

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 5:52 AM David Teller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fwiw, generators can already be used as syntactic sugar for monads.

Cheers,
 David

THIS MESSAGE AND ITS IP ADDRESS HAVE BEEN LOGGED. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE
FROM YOUR COMPUTER. YOU WILL SHORTLY RECEIVE A VISIT FROM THE IMPERATIVE
BRIGADE.

On 18/01/2019 06:32, Michael Luder-Rosefield wrote:
> It's OK, you can say the m-word here. Monad. See? Nothing bad wi--
>
> -TRANSMISSION LOST

Re: Proposal: Chainable do sugar

Isiah Meadows-2
I feel JS should first have a concept of what a monad (or functor) is before it adds sugar for it. This just feels too early.