Profiles

Frosted Flake-2
There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
wife's old machine.
She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
machine).
1) I want to have the profiles located in a different place on that new
machine.  How do I get them to go to, or move them to, a different location?

2) After the profiles on the new machine are moved, I propose to copy
her existing profiles from the old machine to the new, moved ones.  Will
that work?

3) Anything to be aware of that might blow things up?

In the Seamonkey profile, she has many emails that she want to keep,
anything to worry about there?
--
Frosted Flake

Re: Profiles

WaltS48-5
On 3/16/17 8:24 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:
> There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
> wife's old machine.
> She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
> Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
> machine).
> 1) I want to have the profiles located in a different place on that
> new machine.  How do I get them to go to, or move them to, a different
> location?

So you started both SeaMonkey and Firefox which created new profiles for
each without any information?

You could create new profiles. I always use the default location.

For Firefox
<https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install-and-Update/Use-the-Profile-Manager-to-create-and-remove-Firefox-profiles/ta-p/2914#firefox:win10:fx51>

For SeaMonkey <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/profiles>

> 2) After the profiles on the new machine are moved, I propose to copy
> her existing profiles from the old machine to the new, moved ones.
> Will that work?

It should. Make backups in case that doesn't work.

> 3) Anything to be aware of that might blow things up?

Make backups.

> In the Seamonkey profile, she has many emails that she want to keep,
> anything to worry about there?

Probably not. Make backups.

--
Visit Pittsburgh<http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
Coexist<https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: Profiles

Frosted Flake-2
WaltS48 wrote:

> On 3/16/17 8:24 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:
>> There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
>> wife's old machine.
>> She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
>> Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
>> machine).
>> 1) I want to have the profiles located in a different place on that
>> new machine.  How do I get them to go to, or move them to, a different
>> location?
>
> So you started both SeaMonkey and Firefox which created new profiles for
> each without any information?
Yes.  Neither has anything of any importance except for a few settings
which are easily recreated.

> You could create new profiles. I always use the default location.
I really want them on a different drive with all the rest of her
personal stuff.

> For Firefox
> <https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install-and-Update/Use-the-Profile-Manager-to-create-and-remove-Firefox-profiles/ta-p/2914#firefox:win10:fx51>
>

> For SeaMonkey <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/profiles>
>

>> 2) After the profiles on the new machine are moved, I propose to copy
>> her existing profiles from the old machine to the new, moved ones.
>> Will that work?
>
> It should. Make backups in case that doesn't work.
>

>> 3) Anything to be aware of that might blow things up?
>
> Make backups.
>>

>> In the Seamonkey profile, she has many emails that she want to keep,
>> anything to worry about there?
>
> Probably not. Make backups.

I have backups of the old profiles.

Thanks

--
Frosted Flake

Re: Profiles

Ron Hunter
On 3/16/2017 8:06 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 3/16/17 8:24 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:
>> There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
>> wife's old machine.
>> She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
>> Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
>> machine).
>> 1) I want to have the profiles located in a different place on that
>> new machine.  How do I get them to go to, or move them to, a different
>> location?
>
> So you started both SeaMonkey and Firefox which created new profiles for
> each without any information?
>
> You could create new profiles. I always use the default location.
>
> For Firefox
> <https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install-and-Update/Use-the-Profile-Manager-to-create-and-remove-Firefox-profiles/ta-p/2914#firefox:win10:fx51>
>

> For SeaMonkey <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/profiles>
>

>> 2) After the profiles on the new machine are moved, I propose to copy
>> her existing profiles from the old machine to the new, moved ones.
>> Will that work?
>
> It should. Make backups in case that doesn't work.
>

>> 3) Anything to be aware of that might blow things up?
>
> Make backups.
>>

>> In the Seamonkey profile, she has many emails that she want to keep,
>> anything to worry about there?
>
> Probably not. Make backups.

Based on years of unfortunate experience, I don't recommend moving the
profile from the default position.  It WILL bite you eventually.  I
agree it is in a strange, and illogical place, but moving it is likely
to be more trouble in the end than the benefit.
However you decide to do this, the simplest approach is to let the
installer create a new profile, locate it, then copy the FILES from the
old computer into the newly created profile on the new computer.  This
is the most hassle-free method I have found after working with Mozilla
software from the beginning.

Re: Profiles

Daniel
On 17/03/2017 12:50 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 3/16/17 8:24 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:
>>> There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
>>> wife's old machine.
>>> She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
>>> Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
>>> machine).
>>> 1) I want to have the profiles located in a different place on that
>>> new machine.  How do I get them to go to, or move them to, a different
>>> location?
>>
>> So you started both SeaMonkey and Firefox which created new profiles for
>> each without any information?
> Yes.  Neither has anything of any importance except for a few settings
> which are easily recreated.
>

>> You could create new profiles. I always use the default location.
> I really want them on a different drive with all the rest of her
> personal stuff.
>

>> For Firefox
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install-and-Update/Use-the-Profile-Manager-to-create-and-remove-Firefox-profiles/ta-p/2914#firefox:win10:fx51>
>>

>> For SeaMonkey <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/profiles>
>>

>>> 2) After the profiles on the new machine are moved, I propose to copy
>>> her existing profiles from the old machine to the new, moved ones.
>>> Will that work?
>>
>> It should. Make backups in case that doesn't work.
>>

>>> 3) Anything to be aware of that might blow things up?
>>
>> Make backups.
>>>

>>> In the Seamonkey profile, she has many emails that she want to keep,
>>> anything to worry about there?
>>
>> Probably not. Make backups.
>>
> I have backups of the old profiles.
>

> Thanks

Frosty, I have my Win7 Hard Drive in three Partitions, the C:\ I try to
keep for System type stuff. D:\ is where I install my Executables, such
as the SeaMonkey program and E:\ is where I have my SeaMonkey Profile.
(I also use the Profile with my Linux installation of SeaMonkey ... when
I can connect to the Internet via Linux.)

With SeaMonkey open, select Tools->Switch Profiles, and in the next
screen that opens, select "Manage Profiles" and, on the next screen,
select "Create Profile".

That gets you into the "Create Profile" Wizard.

Read the screen, then select "Next" and give the Profile a Name, then,
towards the bottom of that screen, select "Choose Folder". At this
point, you should be able to select when on your Hard Drive/s you want
your Profile.

Then let the installation complete and you should have your (wife's)
profile where you want it!

If/when you want to copy files from your wives current profile/computer,
report back when you are at that stage.

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.46 Build identifier: 20161213183751

Re: Profiles

David E. Ross-3
On 3/16/2017 5:24 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:

> There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
> wife's old machine.
> She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
> Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
> machine).
> 1) I want to have the profiles located in a different place on that new
> machine.  How do I get them to go to, or move them to, a different location?
>
> 2) After the profiles on the new machine are moved, I propose to copy
> her existing profiles from the old machine to the new, moved ones.  Will
> that work?
>
> 3) Anything to be aware of that might blow things up?
>

> In the Seamonkey profile, she has many emails that she want to keep,
> anything to worry about there?

The following applies only to SeaMonkey, which must be completely
terminated.  This takes a bit of effort and care.  I have done this more
than once.  I am not sure about Firefox, which I never use; but I think
the process is similar.

Before you begin, you might want to delete all SeaMonkey extensions on
the old PC before copying the profiles to the new PC.  Then, when you
are done with this process, install the extensions in SeaMonkey on the
new PC.  Unless there are very few extensions, they will make step #5
horrific.

1.  Copy the profile folders from the old PC to where you want them on
the new PC.

2.  Locate file profiles.ini, which is likely at
[C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey], where *** is the
Windows account name.  This must NOT be moved.  (Note:  For Firefox,
there should be a separate profiles.ini, possibly at
[C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox].  Be sure you have
located the correct profiles.ini.)

3.  Edit profiles.ini in a plain-text editor (e.g., Notepad, Wordpad,
BUT NOT Word).  Change the "Path" values to point to where you put the
profile folders.  If there are spaces in the names of parts of the
paths, do not put the paths in quotes (unlike for Windows itself).

4.  In each profile, locate the file profile.js and copy (not move) it
to a different place.  This is for safety if you make a mistake in step
#5.

5.  In each profile, edit the file profile.js with a plain-text editor.
You want to locate ALL instances of preference variables that have
values that are paths and examine each one carefully.  If a path points
to where a profile resided on the old PC, it needs to be changed to
point to the location on the new PC.  Note that paths beginning with a
drive letter generally use the Windows convention with \ instead of /;
some might even use \\ or \\\.  However, some paths begin with "file:"
and use /.  If you installed SeaMonkey on the new PC in a different
location than it had on the old PC, paths relating to that must also be
changed.  THIS STEP CAN BE QUITE TEDIOUS.

6.  Launch SeaMonkey and try using all of the profiles.  It might be
necessary to terminate SeaMonkey and do more editing per step #5.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
*  Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
*  Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
*  If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
*  If your home has a mortgate, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??

Re: Profiles

NFN Smith
Frosted Flake wrote:
> There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
> wife's old machine.
> She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
> Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
> machine).

For Seamonkey, Firefox and Thunderbird, it's not difficult to move a
profile to a new machine.  For a Windows user, historically, using
MozBackup is a good tool to make it go fast (and you don't have to go
rooting around in the depths of files buried deep in the Windows
profile, in folders that are normally hidden), although that one is no
longer supported, and the writer indicates that there's newer
developments that the last iteration of MozBackup doesn't account for.
It may be that that's less of an issue for Thunderbird and Seamonkey,
but probably better not to go there.

To start, you need to know the location of each profile. For firefox,
that %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<salt>.default\* (where <salt>
is a random 8-character alphanumeric string) and for Seamonkey,
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\<salt>.default\*.  Use of the
%APPDATA% environment variable allows you to always find the location,
regardless of what version of Windows you're using, what your Windows
user name is, and any issues of whether the AppData folder is hidden, or
not.

Assuming that you don't have a LAN connection, copy each of the profile
folders to movable storage.

Then, on the new machine:

1) Open Firefox or Seamonkey. When you get to the initial configuration
wizard, cancel, and shut down.  The configuration wizard will create the
necessary profile (<salt>.default), although the contents of <salt> are
randomized, and will be different than they were on the old machine.

2) For each profile, copy the *contents* of the folder on the movable
drive into %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<salt>.default\ (for
Firefox).  Repeat the process for each Firefox and Seamonkey profile
that you want to move.

For this kind of thing, I know that there's some that insist that it's
necessary to use the same profile folder (by name), but in order to do
that, that requires extra steps of editing your profiles.ini folder, to
make sure that the content there matches the folder name used by the
profile on the old machine.

I've found that that's not really necessary.  As long as the profile
manager has created the profile, the name of the folder doesn't really
matter, just that you get the contents of the old folder into the new
folder.

After you've copied your profiles, then you'll want to start up Firefox
and Seamonkey and make sure that everything is working correctly.

Smith