Problems with folder names (Thunderbird + IMAP)

Problems with folder names (Thunderbird + IMAP)

sberry
I have now tried installing Thunderbird for the fourth time on the
third machine and am still having the same problem.

Because I have tried several different versions as well as windoze
machines I have determined that the problem must be something to do
with the mail server setup but have no idea what the problem could be.

When I go to subscribe to a folder, all of the folders come up as they
should (about 40.)  Then, I can subscribe to any one of them, hit okay
and everything is fine.  I can read email from the folder without any
problem.

But, as soon as I add a second folder to my subscribed folders I get
weird behavior.  Thunderbird subscribes to a folder that does not even
exists and is part of a real name of a folder on the server.

For example.  If I subscribe to "sent-mail" and "customer1" then I
might end up subscribed to "ai" and "customer1."  If I subscribe to
"customer1" and "customer2" then I might end up with "cus" and
"customer2."

The problem is inconsistent and very annoying.  I have been using
FireFox since v 0.1 and have been touting it as the savior of the world
and would like to have an equally powerful mail client as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Problems with folder names (Thunderbird + IMAP)

Moz Champion (Dan)
SMB wrote:

> I have now tried installing Thunderbird for the fourth time on the
> third machine and am still having the same problem.
>
> Because I have tried several different versions as well as windoze
> machines I have determined that the problem must be something to do
> with the mail server setup but have no idea what the problem could be.
>
> When I go to subscribe to a folder, all of the folders come up as they
> should (about 40.)  Then, I can subscribe to any one of them, hit okay
> and everything is fine.  I can read email from the folder without any
> problem.
>
> But, as soon as I add a second folder to my subscribed folders I get
> weird behavior.  Thunderbird subscribes to a folder that does not even
> exists and is part of a real name of a folder on the server.
>
> For example.  If I subscribe to "sent-mail" and "customer1" then I
> might end up subscribed to "ai" and "customer1."  If I subscribe to
> "customer1" and "customer2" then I might end up with "cus" and
> "customer2."
>
> The problem is inconsistent and very annoying.  I have been using
> FireFox since v 0.1 and have been touting it as the savior of the world
> and would like to have an equally powerful mail client as well.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not clear on what you mean by 'subscribe' to a folder?
open it? read it? what?