Problems with Seamonkey 2.35a2

Peter Brown
Hi All

I have been using this build for a couple of weeks and have noticed
several problems:

1] Sometimes Seamonkey does not close/exit properly - Seamonkey is not
onscreen, not on the Windows list but when trying to start it a message
appears onscreen that Seamonkey is already running but not responding.
Sure enough, there it is in the Process list. Checking the Process list
shortly after closing/exiting Seamonkey does sometimes show Seamonkey
still running. I have tried to spot a possible reason and suspect Flash
as every time Seamonkey does not close/exit properly Flash has been in use.

I gather that Flash is not recommended as a plugin with this build of
Seamonkey but have no idea what to use to play Flash video when the
libav support files cannot handle Flash playback.

2] Seamonkey sometimes fails to start "cleanly": Seamonkey appears
onscreen, the Sidebar bookmarks get populated the cursor stops flashing
on the url entry line and Seamonkey has crashed. Killing that instance
of Seamonkey and restarting usually works OK. No idea on possible causes
as this happens even if Seamonkey is the 1st app run after system
startup as well as when the system has been up and running for a while.

Any thoughts on possible resolutions to the above?

Regards

Pete

Re: Problems with Seamonkey 2.35a2

Dave Yeo-3
Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have been using this build for a couple of weeks and have noticed
> several problems:
>
> 1] Sometimes Seamonkey does not close/exit properly - Seamonkey is not
> onscreen, not on the Windows list but when trying to start it a message
> appears onscreen that Seamonkey is already running but not responding.
> Sure enough, there it is in the Process list. Checking the Process list
> shortly after closing/exiting Seamonkey does sometimes show Seamonkey
> still running. I have tried to spot a possible reason and suspect Flash
> as every time Seamonkey does not close/exit properly Flash has been in use.

I've only seen similar a couple of times without Flash.
I thought there was now code to catch a hung exit and kill the browser.
May not be enabled on SM though or just broken.
I'll note a discussion on mozilla.dev.platform put crashes at exit close
to the top crash with out of memory (OOM) errors another top crasher.
The OOM crashes are often due to fragmented memory and the browser not
being able to allocate a big enough chunk.
These would be referring to FF46 or so.

> I gather that Flash is not recommended as a plugin with this build of
> Seamonkey but have no idea what to use to play Flash video when the
> libav support files cannot handle Flash playback.

Flash is known to be broken with recent releases and the developers have
no interest in fixing.
You might be able to present the browser as a mobile version (where
there is no Flash) to encourage sites to offer a Webm version of a video.

> 2] Seamonkey sometimes fails to start "cleanly": Seamonkey appears
> onscreen, the Sidebar bookmarks get populated the cursor stops flashing
> on the url entry line and Seamonkey has crashed. Killing that instance
> of Seamonkey and restarting usually works OK. No idea on possible causes
> as this happens even if Seamonkey is the 1st app run after system
> startup as well as when the system has been up and running for a while.
>

> Any thoughts on possible resolutions to the above?

Haven't seen that one. Possibly profile corruption
Dave

Re: Problems with Seamonkey 2.35a2

Peter Brown
Hi Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have been using this build for a couple of weeks and have noticed
>> several problems:
>>
>> 1] Sometimes Seamonkey does not close/exit properly - Seamonkey is not
>> onscreen, not on the Windows list but when trying to start it a message
>> appears onscreen that Seamonkey is already running but not responding.
>> Sure enough, there it is in the Process list. Checking the Process list
>> shortly after closing/exiting Seamonkey does sometimes show Seamonkey
>> still running. I have tried to spot a possible reason and suspect Flash
>> as every time Seamonkey does not close/exit properly Flash has been in
>> use.
>
> I've only seen similar a couple of times without Flash.
> I thought there was now code to catch a hung exit and kill the browser.
> May not be enabled on SM though or just broken.
> I'll note a discussion on mozilla.dev.platform put crashes at exit close
> to the top crash with out of memory (OOM) errors another top crasher.
> The OOM crashes are often due to fragmented memory and the browser not
> being able to allocate a big enough chunk.
> These would be referring to FF46 or so.
>

>> I gather that Flash is not recommended as a plugin with this build of
>> Seamonkey but have no idea what to use to play Flash video when the
>> libav support files cannot handle Flash playback.
>
> Flash is known to be broken with recent releases and the developers have
> no interest in fixing.
> You might be able to present the browser as a mobile version (where
> there is no Flash) to encourage sites to offer a Webm version of a video.
>

>> 2] Seamonkey sometimes fails to start "cleanly": Seamonkey appears
>> onscreen, the Sidebar bookmarks get populated the cursor stops flashing
>> on the url entry line and Seamonkey has crashed. Killing that instance
>> of Seamonkey and restarting usually works OK. No idea on possible causes
>> as this happens even if Seamonkey is the 1st app run after system
>> startup as well as when the system has been up and running for a while.
>>

>> Any thoughts on possible resolutions to the above?
>
> Haven't seen that one. Possibly profile corruption
> Dave

I guess it could be Profile corruption - but if it was surely the
problem would persist and further attempts to start SM would have the
same result.

Having just had 1 of these instances the only thing that I can add at
the moment is that the cursor is showing as a timer when positioned over
SM - probably indicating that something is not loading.

Just a thought: is Flash initialised at SM start? If "Yes" could that be
the culprit?

On 06/05/16 11:44 AM, Peter Brown wrote:
> Just a thought: is Flash initialised at SM start? If "Yes" could that be
> the culprit?

I believe so on our platform. Flash is just crashy and buggy which is
why Mozilla has gone to a lot of effort to sandbag it into its own
process so a crash just takes out one tab. Unluckily it is non-trivial
to get this working on our old platform and is disabled due to being broken.
Try loading SeaMonkey in safe mode to see if that helps. It can also be
due to extensions, sometimes conflicts between them. Once again safe
mode might allow narrowing it down.
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have been using this build for a couple of weeks and have noticed
>> several problems:
>>
>> 1] Sometimes Seamonkey does not close/exit properly - Seamonkey is not
>> onscreen, not on the Windows list but when trying to start it a message
>> appears onscreen that Seamonkey is already running but not responding.
>> Sure enough, there it is in the Process list. Checking the Process list
>> shortly after closing/exiting Seamonkey does sometimes show Seamonkey
>> still running. I have tried to spot a possible reason and suspect Flash
>> as every time Seamonkey does not close/exit properly Flash has been in
>> use.
>
> I've only seen similar a couple of times without Flash.

Would you have played any videos during your browsing session? Reason
for asking:-

Seems that the Seamonkey crashing at exit and staying on the Process
list is not the fault of the Flash plugin.

Having deleted the flash DLL files from the Plugins directory I started
Seamonkey.

I visited youtube to try out video playback without Flash.

I have to say it was most disappointing; the youtube html5 player used
to work fine (mainly) with earlier builds - pre 2.35 - even with Flash
installed but the best playback achieved was about a minute then the
video froze while sound continued playing; video url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Yp7lvzv4M

I closed that video and tried some others; none played. Suspecting a
problem that could be resolved by restarting Seamonkey I closed the
browser and started typing this report.

Several minutes later prior to restarting Seamonkey I checked the
Process list: seamonkey.exe is visible. I killed the process.

I restarted Seamonkey and retried the above video url with the same
result: video playback freezes after around a minute, audio continues,
closing that video and trying others results in no playback at all,
seamonkey.exe still showing in Process list several minutes later.

Looks like the crash on closing could be related to video playback using
the current media playback package.

Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Peter Brown wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I have been using this build for a couple of weeks and have noticed
>>> several problems:
>>>
>>> 1] Sometimes Seamonkey does not close/exit properly - Seamonkey is not
>>> onscreen, not on the Windows list but when trying to start it a message
>>> appears onscreen that Seamonkey is already running but not responding.
>>> Sure enough, there it is in the Process list. Checking the Process list
>>> shortly after closing/exiting Seamonkey does sometimes show Seamonkey
>>> still running. I have tried to spot a possible reason and suspect Flash
>>> as every time Seamonkey does not close/exit properly Flash has been in
>>> use.
>>
>> I've only seen similar a couple of times without Flash.
>

> Would you have played any videos during your browsing session? Reason
> for asking:-
>
> Seems that the Seamonkey crashing at exit and staying on the Process
> list is not the fault of the Flash plugin.
>
> Having deleted the flash DLL files from the Plugins directory I started
> Seamonkey.
>
> I visited youtube to try out video playback without Flash.
>
> I have to say it was most disappointing; the youtube html5 player used
> to work fine (mainly) with earlier builds - pre 2.35 - even with Flash
> installed but the best playback achieved was about a minute then the
> video froze while sound continued playing; video url
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Yp7lvzv4M
>
> I closed that video and tried some others; none played. Suspecting a
> problem that could be resolved by restarting Seamonkey I closed the
> browser and started typing this report.
>
> Several minutes later prior to restarting Seamonkey I checked the
> Process list: seamonkey.exe is visible. I killed the process.
>
> I restarted Seamonkey and retried the above video url with the same
> result: video playback freezes after around a minute, audio continues,
> closing that video and trying others results in no playback at all,
> seamonkey.exe still showing in Process list several minutes later.
>
> Looks like the crash on closing could be related to video playback using
> the current media playback package.
>

> Regards
>
> Pete

Of course the above video played back fine on a much later attempt. The
system was not rebooted between playback attempts so I have no idea why
playback failed on earlier attempts but worked fine later.

Peter Brown wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Peter Brown wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I have been using this build for a couple of weeks and have noticed
>>> several problems:
>>>
>>> 1] Sometimes Seamonkey does not close/exit properly - Seamonkey is not
>>> onscreen, not on the Windows list but when trying to start it a message
>>> appears onscreen that Seamonkey is already running but not responding.
>>> Sure enough, there it is in the Process list. Checking the Process list
>>> shortly after closing/exiting Seamonkey does sometimes show Seamonkey
>>> still running. I have tried to spot a possible reason and suspect Flash
>>> as every time Seamonkey does not close/exit properly Flash has been in
>>> use.
>>
>> I've only seen similar a couple of times without Flash.
>

> Would you have played any videos during your browsing session? Reason
> for asking:-

I don't have the bandwidth to download and play videos. I did test with
local videos and all that should have worked fine did. Now that I think
of it, I tried some videos that SM couldn't handle and did get some
hangs at exit.

> Seems that the Seamonkey crashing at exit and staying on the Process
> list is not the fault of the Flash plugin.
>
> Having deleted the flash DLL files from the Plugins directory I started
> Seamonkey.
>
> I visited youtube to try out video playback without Flash.
>
> I have to say it was most disappointing; the youtube html5 player used
> to work fine (mainly) with earlier builds - pre 2.35 - even with Flash
> installed but the best playback achieved was about a minute then the
> video froze while sound continued playing; video url
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Yp7lvzv4M

I tried this, good choice, just picked up a copy of Procol Harum
yesterday at the thrift store.
After about half an hour it made it to the 55 second mark and froze.
Turning scripting off and back on and it came back to life bit started
the download again. Crappy connection, could you have problems with the
connection?
SM closed fine.

> I closed that video and tried some others; none played. Suspecting a
> problem that could be resolved by restarting Seamonkey I closed the
> browser and started typing this report.
>
> Several minutes later prior to restarting Seamonkey I checked the
> Process list: seamonkey.exe is visible. I killed the process.
>
> I restarted Seamonkey and retried the above video url with the same
> result: video playback freezes after around a minute, audio continues,
> closing that video and trying others results in no playback at all,
> seamonkey.exe still showing in Process list several minutes later.
>
> Looks like the crash on closing could be related to video playback using
> the current media playback package.

Might be worth testing with FF and if the issue continues, opening an
issue though it may just be fragile.
Dave