Problems starting the JavaScript Debugger - Venkman

Problems starting the JavaScript Debugger - Venkman

Frank-28
Hi,

I'm using Mozilla version 1.7.12 and Venkman version 0.9.81 on a WindowsXP
machine.  This is my first time trying to debug JavaScript using the Mozilla
Platform, and the Venkman JavaScript debugger.  I have a simple JavaScript
that gets executed when a XUL window loads, using the onload event.  The
JavaScript is in a seperate .js file, and is included into the XUL file.  I
start Mozilla with the -console switch, and then start Venkman and press the
big red X in the upper left had conner, and it displays "...".  From reading
the FAQ this means the debugger will stop on the next JavaScript instruction
executes.  I then switch back to Mozilla, do a File->Open File and open my
XUL file, and no break points are hit.  This even happens when I load the
.js file into Venkman, and set a "Future Break Point".  However, when I look
at the Mozilla console I see this:

<top>
anonymous@54
jsdExecutionHook@262
onxblpopupshowing@157
[anonymous]@0
vnk: execution hook: function onxblpopupshowing(event=Event:{0}) in
<chrome://gl
obal/content/bindings/popup.xml> line 156
** ASSERTION FAILED: stopped in a filtered URL **
<top>
anonymous@54
jsdExecutionHook@262
onxblpopupshowing@156
[anonymous]@0
vnk: execution hook: function onxblpopupshowing(event=Event:{0}) in
<chrome://gl
obal/content/bindings/popup.xml> line 156
** ASSERTION FAILED: stopped in a filtered URL **
<top>

And this seems to repeat a whole lot.  Can anyone help me understand what is
going here, and what I can do to start debugging JavaScript in Mozilla using
Venkman.

Thanks,

-Frank

Re: Problems starting the JavaScript Debugger - Venkman

Alejandro Torras
Hi Frank,

Frank wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Mozilla version 1.7.12 and Venkman version 0.9.81 on a WindowsXP
> machine.  This is my first time trying to debug JavaScript using the Mozilla
> Platform, and the Venkman JavaScript debugger.  I have a simple JavaScript
> that gets executed when a XUL window loads, using the onload event.  The
> JavaScript is in a seperate .js file, and is included into the XUL file.  I
> start Mozilla with the -console switch, and then start Venkman and press the
> big red X in the upper left had conner, and it displays "...".  From reading
> the FAQ this means the debugger will stop on the next JavaScript instruction
> executes.  I then switch back to Mozilla, do a File->Open File and open my
> XUL file, and no break points are hit.  This even happens when I load the
> .js file into Venkman, and set a "Future Break Point".  However, when I look
> at the Mozilla console I see this:

I use to load the page first, then open the JS file in the
loaded-scripts window and finally set the breakpoints where I want.

Alternatively I use to open venkman and then refresh the target browser
window with <F5> to start the work with venkman.

Sometimes the way you correctly describe simply it doesn't works ;-)

Maybe, it's a venkman's hookings issue.

> <top>
> anonymous@54
> jsdExecutionHook@262
> onxblpopupshowing@157
> [anonymous]@0
> vnk: execution hook: function onxblpopupshowing(event=Event:{0}) in
> <chrome://gl
> obal/content/bindings/popup.xml> line 156
> ** ASSERTION FAILED: stopped in a filtered URL **

I don't debug XUL files but it seems that the last anonymous function
receives an URL that is not correct.

Maybe this URL has an illegal format or some kind of internal inconsistency.

I can't tell you more.

--
Alejandro Torras
http://dynamic-interactive.com