Problems publishing and repeated alarms

Andy_P
Hi this is an old problem, that caused me so much trouble that I
abandoned Calendar for a while.
However, I'd now like to have another go at sorting it out...

I am using Version 2005011112-cal on Netscape 7.2 (I know! there are
reasons :-)) and I have subscribed to a free remote server at icalx.com
All works fine except when I add a new event it often does not
automatically publish to the remote calendar. The event shows on screen
but if I reload the remote calendar the event vanishes.
I have ticked the box in Edit calendar that says "Automatically publish
to remote calendar".

Re: Problems publishing and repeated alarms

Andy_P
Andy_P wrote:

> Hi this is an old problem, that caused me so much trouble that I
> abandoned Calendar for a while.
> However, I'd now like to have another go at sorting it out...
>
> I am using Version 2005011112-cal on Netscape 7.2 (I know! there are
> reasons :-)) and I have subscribed to a free remote server at icalx.com
> All works fine except when I add a new event it often does not
> automatically publish to the remote calendar. The event shows on screen
> but if I reload the remote calendar the event vanishes.
> I have ticked the box in Edit calendar that says "Automatically publish
> to remote calendar".

Further experiments:
The  full text for the tick box I referred to in the edit calendar box is:
"Automatically publish your changes to the remote calendar? When
enabled, a fresh version of the calendar is downloaded before applying
any change you make. Your changes are then applied and the calendar is
uploaded back to the server."

When I try to add a new event, it looks as though a new copy of the
calendar IS downloaded (the animated red arrows appear next to the
calendar's name) and only then is the new event added on screen.
However, it then stops and the new version does not get uploaded.
I have tried the manual "Publish Entire calendar" command: this brings
up a box with the calendar URL and a "Publish" box to tick. Either it
then sits and does nothing, or a new "Enter username and password" box
appears (even though they are already stored in password manager), and
THEN it sits and does nothing.
Does this imply that it is the remote server not issuing the right
requests, or not receiving the password information, but not doing
anything about it? Should I try a different server. Any ideas?

Re: Problems publishing and repeated alarms

Rod Whiteley
On 06/03/2006 17:18, Andy_P wrote:
> ...a new "Enter username and password" box appears...

I recognize that part.  iCalX seems to have bad moods when it rejects
all passwords.  This makes Calendar think the password has changed, so
it puts up a new password prompt.  I updated one of my iCalX calendars
today and it was OK, but maybe I was just lucky.

Some people report better success with ifreebusy.com, but I have not yet
tried it myself.

--
Rod Whiteley

Rod Whiteley wrote:

> On 06/03/2006 17:18, Andy_P wrote:
>
>> ...a new "Enter username and password" box appears...
>

> I recognize that part.  iCalX seems to have bad moods when it rejects
> all passwords.  This makes Calendar think the password has changed, so
> it puts up a new password prompt.  I updated one of my iCalX calendars
> today and it was OK, but maybe I was just lucky.
>
> Some people report better success with ifreebusy.com, but I have not yet
> tried it myself.

Hey, ifreebusy seems to work just as I expect it should. That's the
trouble - you always assume its something you're doing wrong, when
really it is the other end screwing up! Many thanks for the help and ideas.