Problem with this server?

Re: Problem with this server?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Phillip Jones wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>
>>> either =20 or %20 is correct representation of the space character
>>> see: http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm
>>>
>>> as shown here on that page: http://screencast.com/t/ZTNiN2Zi
>>
>> Neither of those apply. As already said many times, a sig delimiter
>> cannot have anything other than a (real) space after the dashes, and
>> on a line by itself.
>>
>> Your encoding only applies to web URLs for encoding spaces.
>>
> If that is the case why is SM and TB using =20 when you show source
> code from an html post?

Because it is not an URL .. a link to a web page. There's no other place
where an encoded space is needed, in the normal world.

   http://example.com/pics/My Grandma.jpg

needs a %20 to replace the space. You wouldn't put a %20 anywhere else
in HTML, you would just type a plain space.

As to why Larry's version puts =20 at the end of his sig, you'll have to
ask the developers.

--
   -bts

Re: Problem with this server?

PhillipJones
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Phillip Jones wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Neither of those apply. As already said many times, a sig delimiter
>>> cannot have anything other than a (real) space after the dashes, and
>>> on a line by itself.
>>>
>>> Your encoding only applies to web URLs for encoding spaces.
>>>
>> If that is the case why is SM and TB using =20 when you show source
>> code from an html post?
>
> Because it is not an URL .. a link to a web page. There's no other place
> where an encoded space is needed, in the normal world.
>
>     http://example.com/pics/My Grandma.jpg
>
> needs a %20 to replace the space. You wouldn't put a %20 anywhere else
> in HTML, you would just type a plain space.
>
> As to why Larry's version puts =20 at the end of his sig, you'll have to
> ask the developers.

Test case I did here in HTML when you show the source as shows this =20

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net/       mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Problem with this server?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Phillip Jones wrote:

> Test case I did here in HTML when you show the source as shows this
> =20

Yes, we know that.

--
   -bts

Re: Problem with this server?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> »Q« wrote:

> >>      <pre class=3D"moz-signature" cols=3D"105">--=20
> >>
> >> I still see it...
> >
> > That's just quoted-printable encoding of the trailing space.  It
> > should be decoded to a space before being handed to the html
> > renderer.
>
> Yes, we know that.  ;-)
>
> > If there's some reason to avoid the =20, setting the character
> > encoding to 6bit should do it, assuming that's possible in
> > Thunderbird.
>
> The reason to avoid is that the sig delimiter is ignored because of
> the extra content after the "-- " (as discussed somewhere earlier in
> this epic thread).

I guess I'd have to back up the thread to find out what is ignoring
it.

> But as far as choosing different encoding, it's probably not worth
> any further effort.

Probably.  html renderers also trim trailing space, so I wouldn't
expect either OE or Thunderbird to recognize sig delimiters in html.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                    ASCII Ribbon Campaign        \ /

Re: Problem with this server?

Daniel Barclay
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Larry Gusaas wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, I know what URLencoding is, and that =20 indicates a space. I
>>> write web pages, I need to know that.

Um... "=20" the encoding of a space in MIME's _Quoted_Printable_ transfer
encoding, not in any URL-encoding scheme.

Daniel

Re: Problem with this server?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Daniel Barclay wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Larry Gusaas wrote:

> Um... "=20" the encoding of a space in MIME's _Quoted_Printable_
> transfer encoding, not in any URL-encoding scheme.

Um... I figured you would have understood that I know the difference
between Quoted Printable and URL encoding, and between =20 and %20.

--
   -bts

Re: Problem with this server?

clay-14
clay wrote:
> Is the server or this NG bjorken?
> I looked in today and I see all these posts sniveling about HTML vs
> plain text from like five years ago...
> Must'a fell into the wayback machine.

Yup... it's broke.
Step aside Goodwin, there's a new sheriff in town, and his name is HTML.