Power User Mode wanted for Firefox

Mumia W..-3
Firefox needs to have a "power user mode" that provides more
configuration options for the advanced Firefox users.

(That's the gist of my message. For background information read below.)

Many years ago, I used Microsoft Word. MS Word was a big and complicated
word processor; however, it had modes to accommodate both beginners and
power users.

In the "beginner" mode, menus and dialogs were simple, but power was
limited. In the "advanced" mode, a much larger number of options became
visible on menus and in dialog boxes.

It didn't take me long to figure out how good an idea this was because
it didn't take me long to "graduate" from beginner to "power"[0] user.
MS Word was a /really/ powerful word processor, but it didn't put off
beginners by unloading it's complexity onto them on day one, and it
didn't put off advanced users by restricting them to the electronic
equivalent of tricycling on the sidewalk.

Firefox needs this ability to switch UI complexity. There are many
configurable features of FX which mostly advanced users and longtime FX
users want, but which don't belong in the base "beginner" UI, so FX
needs a "power user" UI that can be enabled and disabled on the fly.

I would place the toggle for power user mode under the Edit menu, e.g.
Edit->Power User Mode.

------
[0] In this context, being a "power" user means knowing a h311 of a lot
more about the program than my boss would ever want to know.

Re: Power User Mode wanted for Firefox

Moz Champion (Dan)
Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

> Firefox needs to have a "power user mode" that provides more
> configuration options for the advanced Firefox users.

> (That's the gist of my message. For background information read below.)
>
> Many years ago, I used Microsoft Word. MS Word was a big and complicated
> word processor; however, it had modes to accommodate both beginners and
> power users.
>
> In the "beginner" mode, menus and dialogs were simple, but power was
> limited. In the "advanced" mode, a much larger number of options became
> visible on menus and in dialog boxes.
>
> It didn't take me long to figure out how good an idea this was because
> it didn't take me long to "graduate" from beginner to "power"[0] user.
> MS Word was a /really/ powerful word processor, but it didn't put off
> beginners by unloading it's complexity onto them on day one, and it
> didn't put off advanced users by restricting them to the electronic
> equivalent of tricycling on the sidewalk.
>
> Firefox needs this ability to switch UI complexity. There are many
> configurable features of FX which mostly advanced users and longtime FX
> users want, but which don't belong in the base "beginner" UI, so FX
> needs a "power user" UI that can be enabled and disabled on the fly.
>
> I would place the toggle for power user mode under the Edit menu, e.g.
> Edit->Power User Mode.
>

> ------
> [0] In this context, being a "power" user means knowing a h311 of a lot
> more about the program than my boss would ever want to know.

about:config isnt power enough for you?