Porting my JS45 code to ESR52

Kent Williams
I have a working application embedding SpiderMonkey ESR45.  I am working
on updating it to ESR52.

What I'm discovering is that the API documentation is out of date. For
instance JS_ReportError is apparently removed from the API, and if I
look in the headers, it's replaced by a bunch of character-set-specific
JS_ReportError functions (JS_ReportErrorASCII, JS_ReportErrorUTF8, etc).

But there's no documentation on any of the new functions.

Am I looking the wrong place for documentation, or is the documentation
available on line simply not going to be updated?

Re: Porting my JS45 code to ESR52

Paul Bone
On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 03:36:24PM -0500, Kent Williams wrote:

> I have a working application embedding SpiderMonkey ESR45.  I am working on
> updating it to ESR52.
>
> What I'm discovering is that the API documentation is out of date. For
> instance JS_ReportError is apparently removed from the API, and if I look in
> the headers, it's replaced by a bunch of character-set-specific
> JS_ReportError functions (JS_ReportErrorASCII, JS_ReportErrorUTF8, etc).
>
> But there's no documentation on any of the new functions.
>
> Am I looking the wrong place for documentation, or is the documentation
> available on line simply not going to be updated?

I'm not certain but I think it's just that the documentation is out of sync
with the code.

--
Paul Bone
http://paul.bone.id.au

Re: Porting my JS45 code to ESR52

ISHIKAWA,chiaki
On 2017/09/26 14:24, Paul Bone wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 03:36:24PM -0500, Kent Williams wrote:
>> I have a working application embedding SpiderMonkey ESR45.  I am working on
>> updating it to ESR52.
>>
>> What I'm discovering is that the API documentation is out of date. For
>> instance JS_ReportError is apparently removed from the API, and if I look in
>> the headers, it's replaced by a bunch of character-set-specific
>> JS_ReportError functions (JS_ReportErrorASCII, JS_ReportErrorUTF8, etc).
>>
>> But there's no documentation on any of the new functions.
>>
>> Am I looking the wrong place for documentation, or is the documentation
>> available on line simply not going to be updated?
>
> I'm not certain but I think it's just that the documentation is out of sync
> with the code.

For ordinary third party developers who want to contribute, this is what
we usually call "outdated" or "not updated so far".

The question would be if there is an intention to "update" it by the
Mozilla community.

TIA

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 05:00:06PM +0900, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:

> On 2017/09/26 14:24, Paul Bone wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 03:36:24PM -0500, Kent Williams wrote:
> >>I have a working application embedding SpiderMonkey ESR45.  I am working on
> >>updating it to ESR52.
> >>
> >>What I'm discovering is that the API documentation is out of date. For
> >>instance JS_ReportError is apparently removed from the API, and if I look in
> >>the headers, it's replaced by a bunch of character-set-specific
> >>JS_ReportError functions (JS_ReportErrorASCII, JS_ReportErrorUTF8, etc).
> >>
> >>But there's no documentation on any of the new functions.
> >>
> >>Am I looking the wrong place for documentation, or is the documentation
> >>available on line simply not going to be updated?
> >
> >I'm not certain but I think it's just that the documentation is out of sync
> >with the code.
> >

> For ordinary third party developers who want to contribute, this is what we
> usually call "outdated" or "not updated so far".

I agree, and understand the frustration.

> The question would be if there is an intention to "update" it by the Mozilla
> community.

I honnestly don't know, sorry.

--
Paul Bone