Porting embedding code from JS38 to JS45

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Porting embedding code from JS38 to JS45

Kent Williams
The changes to client code seem not to be insurmountable, and I'm going
to try and start over and keep detailed notes of the porting process,
but ...

What happened to JS_Init?  Has it been replaced by a more C++-ish
function? The documentation hasn't been changed to reflect its
disappearance yet.

I for one really look forward to a pure C++ API.

--

*Kent Williams*| C++ Developer
*CourseLeaf from Leepfrog Technologies *

/“The Process of Academic Change”
/319-337-3877 | courseleaf.com <http://www.courseleaf.com/>

/This message contains confidential information and is intended only for
the individual named. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of
the information in this transmission is strictly prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail
by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system./

_______________________________________________
dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Porting embedding code from JS38 to JS45

Jason Orendorff-2
This came as a surprise to me so I went and found it. JS_Init() is still
there, just moved to a different header (js/public/Initialization.h).

-j

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Kent Williams <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The changes to client code seem not to be insurmountable, and I'm going to
> try and start over and keep detailed notes of the porting process, but ...
>
> What happened to JS_Init?  Has it been replaced by a more C++-ish
> function? The documentation hasn't been changed to reflect its
> disappearance yet.
>
> I for one really look forward to a pure C++ API.
>
> --
>
> *Kent Williams*| C++ Developer
> *CourseLeaf from Leepfrog Technologies *
>
> /“The Process of Academic Change”
> /319-337-3877 | courseleaf.com <http://www.courseleaf.com/>
>
> /This message contains confidential information and is intended only for
> the individual named. If you are not the intended recipient of this
> transmission or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended
> recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of
> the information in this transmission is strictly prohibited. Please notify
> the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
> mistake and delete this e-mail from your system./
>
> _______________________________________________
> dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine
>
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Porting embedding code from JS38 to JS45

Kent Williams
I got our embedded app to compile and link.  Will do a full report.

Off the top of my head annoying things.

1. The esr45 branch on github.com won't compile, because of the JS
interpreter not being up to date with the API changes.
2. esr45 branch puts libjs_static.a in <build>/js/src where esr38
(correctly imho) puts it in <build>/dist/lib

Thanks for help from the folks on the #jsdev irc channel.  The
documentation on line doesn't reflect the API as it currently stands.

The #1 positive thing is that old remnants of the C language API are
going away.

On 3/17/2016 1:15 PM, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> This came as a surprise to me so I went and found it. JS_Init() is still
> there, just moved to a different header (js/public/Initialization.h).
>
> -j
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Kent Williams <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> The changes to client code seem not to be insurmountable, and I'm going to
>> try and start over and keep detailed notes of the porting process, but ...
>>
>> What happened to JS_Init?  Has it been replaced by a more C++-ish
>> function? The documentation hasn't been changed to reflect its
>> disappearance yet.
>>
>> I for one really look forward to a pure C++ API.
>>
>> --
>>
>> *Kent Williams*| C++ Developer
>> *CourseLeaf from Leepfrog Technologies *
>>
>> /“The Process of Academic Change”
>> /319-337-3877 | courseleaf.com <http://www.courseleaf.com/>
>>
>> /This message contains confidential information and is intended only for
>> the individual named. If you are not the intended recipient of this
>> transmission or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended
>> recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of
>> the information in this transmission is strictly prohibited. Please notify
>> the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
>> mistake and delete this e-mail from your system./
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine
>>
> _______________________________________________
> dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine

_______________________________________________
dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Porting embedding code from JS38 to JS45

Jeff Walden-2
In reply to this post by Kent Williams
On 03/17/2016 11:15 AM, Jason Orendorff wrote:
> This came as a surprise to me so I went and found it. JS_Init() is still
> there, just moved to a different header (js/public/Initialization.h).

FWIW, I remember pondering what to do for this in docs when I moved the function to its new location, then ended up not doing anything.  :-\  I just added #include "js/Initialization.h" to the MDN page now, with a '// previously "jsapi.h"' to note (what I remember as) the old spot.

Ultimately, docs won't be in good shape, ever, until we move them in-tree.  This is a process I *really* should at least *start*, then once it's started people will start naturally moving things over over time.  But until that happens, things will not be in a great state.

Jeff
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Porting embedding code from JS38 to JS45

Nick Fitzgerald-2
On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Jeff Walden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ultimately, docs won't be in good shape, ever, until we move them
> in-tree.  This is a process I *really* should at least *start*, then once
> it's started people will start naturally moving things over over time.  But
> until that happens, things will not be in a great state.
>

Just in case you don't already know: we have Debugger API docs in tree
already (js/src/doc/Debugger/*), along with a script to automate rendering
and uploading them to MDN.​ It would be pretty easy to reuse this
infrastructure for JSAPI docs.
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine