Portable Firefox, CD launch

cleverman
Dear bloggers.

Do you know if there is a "lighter" version of FF that does not need to
save/launch/ any additional service files - such as profile, bookmarks
etc - eating additional space.

I desperately need a version of FF that could be launched from CD
without additional setup - all done rather quickly.

It would be wonderful to save it on CD together with HTML files - and
then open them through command line in our wonderful FF.

I know there is Firefox portable. But when launched from CD - it takes
from 40 sec to 1.5 minutes. Too slow for public demonstration of one of
my products.

If there is no such version - what will it cost to quickly develop it -
given that we have the open source code?

Re: Portable Firefox, CD launch

DJB-5
In a message on 07/30/2008 11:02, cleverman wrote:

> Dear bloggers.
>
> Do you know if there is a "lighter" version of FF that does not need to
> save/launch/ any additional service files - such as profile, bookmarks
> etc - eating additional space.
>
> I desperately need a version of FF that could be launched from CD
> without additional setup - all done rather quickly.
>
> It would be wonderful to save it on CD together with HTML files - and
> then open them through command line in our wonderful FF.
>
> I know there is Firefox portable. But when launched from CD - it takes
> from 40 sec to 1.5 minutes. Too slow for public demonstration of one of
> my products.
>
> If there is no such version - what will it cost to quickly develop it -
> given that we have the open source code?

Try PortableApps.com  They have a suite of apps including FF and TB as
well as Pidgin (IM) and Open Office.  They can be run from a CDRW (not a
regular CD), a flash drive, or even an iPod.
djb

In a message on 07/30/2008 11:54, DJB wrote:

> In a message on 07/30/2008 11:02, cleverman wrote:
>> Dear bloggers.
>>
>> Do you know if there is a "lighter" version of FF that does not need
>> to save/launch/ any additional service files - such as profile, bookmarks
>> etc - eating additional space.
>>
>> I desperately need a version of FF that could be launched from CD
>> without additional setup - all done rather quickly.
>>
>> It would be wonderful to save it on CD together with HTML files - and
>> then open them through command line in our wonderful FF.
>>
>> I know there is Firefox portable. But when launched from CD - it takes
>> from 40 sec to 1.5 minutes. Too slow for public demonstration of one
>> of my products.
>>
>> If there is no such version - what will it cost to quickly develop it
>> - given that we have the open source code?
>>
> Try PortableApps.com  They have a suite of apps including FF and TB as
> well as Pidgin (IM) and Open Office.  They can be run from a CDRW (not a
> regular CD), a flash drive, or even an iPod.
> djb
Oops.  Never mind.  Didn't read the line where you mentioned FF portable.
djb

Re: Portable Firefox, CD launch

Miles-4
* cleverman wrote, On 7/30/2008 08:02:

> Dear bloggers.
>
> Do you know if there is a "lighter" version of FF that does not need to
> save/launch/ any additional service files - such as profile, bookmarks
> etc - eating additional space.
>
> I desperately need a version of FF that could be launched from CD
> without additional setup - all done rather quickly.
>
> It would be wonderful to save it on CD together with HTML files - and
> then open them through command line in our wonderful FF.
>
> I know there is Firefox portable. But when launched from CD - it takes
> from 40 sec to 1.5 minutes. Too slow for public demonstration of one of
> my products.
>
> If there is no such version - what will it cost to quickly develop it -
> given that we have the open source code?

When traveling I have 2 versions of portable FX on a thumb drive, one is
my full version with everything which takes some time to open (perhaps
3.01 will be quicker, haven't yet tried), and the other is without
extensions and opens quite quickly.  (Bearing in mind some thumb drives
are much slower than others.)  I assume using a CD would be about the
same speed, although I haven't tried it either!)