Portable FF 1.5 won't work behind firewall

Portable FF 1.5 won't work behind firewall

Bobby-6
I've started to use FF (1.5) at home and would like to use it at work too.
But my company is an IE outfit.

So I tried to run Portable FF 1.5 off of a flashdrive.

I tested it at home and it was fine but it did not work behind the company
firewall.

Any advice? I really miss the tabbed browsing.

Bobby

Re: Portable FF 1.5 won't work behind firewall

Leonidas Jones
Bobby wrote:

> I've started to use FF (1.5) at home and would like to use it at work too.
> But my company is an IE outfit.
>
> So I tried to run Portable FF 1.5 off of a flashdrive.
>
> I tested it at home and it was fine but it did not work behind the company
> firewall.
>
> Any advice? I really miss the tabbed browsing.
>
> Bobby

Since you don't have access to permissions on the company firewall, I
don't think there are options.

Will they let you run a tab enabled IE shell, such as Maxthon?

http://www.maxthon.com/

Lee

Re: Portable FF 1.5 won't work behind firewall

Ron Hunter
Bobby wrote:

> I've started to use FF (1.5) at home and would like to use it at work too.
> But my company is an IE outfit.
>
> So I tried to run Portable FF 1.5 off of a flashdrive.
>
> I tested it at home and it was fine but it did not work behind the company
> firewall.
>
> Any advice? I really miss the tabbed browsing.
>
> Bobby

It likely that the company is using a proxy server.  Check the IE
tools/internet options for the name of the proxy server, and put that
into the FF connections dialog.

Re: Portable FF 1.5 won't work behind firewall

Bobby-6
Hi Ron. Tried that but Internet options is disabled in IE.

"Ron Hunter" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dpta4d$[hidden email]...

> Bobby wrote:
>> I've started to use FF (1.5) at home and would like to use it at work
>> too.
>> But my company is an IE outfit.
>>
>> So I tried to run Portable FF 1.5 off of a flashdrive.
>>
>> I tested it at home and it was fine but it did not work behind the
>> company
>> firewall.
>>
>> Any advice? I really miss the tabbed browsing.
>>
>> Bobby
> It likely that the company is using a proxy server.  Check the IE
> tools/internet options for the name of the proxy server, and put that into
> the FF connections dialog.

Re: Portable FF 1.5 won't work behind firewall

gwtc
Bobby wrote:

> Hi Ron. Tried that but Internet options is disabled in IE.
>
> "Ron Hunter" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:dpta4d$[hidden email]...
>
>>Bobby wrote:
>>
>>>I've started to use FF (1.5) at home and would like to use it at work
>>>too.
>>>But my company is an IE outfit.
>>>
>>>So I tried to run Portable FF 1.5 off of a flashdrive.
>>>
>>>I tested it at home and it was fine but it did not work behind the
>>>company
>>>firewall.
>>>
>>>Any advice? I really miss the tabbed browsing.
>>>
>>>Bobby
>>
>>It likely that the company is using a proxy server.  Check the IE
>>tools/internet options for the name of the proxy server, and put that into
>>the FF connections dialog.

Then look in the Control Panel and click on Internet Options from there.

Bobby wrote:

> Hi Ron. Tried that but Internet options is disabled in IE.
>
> "Ron Hunter" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:dpta4d$[hidden email]...
>> Bobby wrote:
>>> I've started to use FF (1.5) at home and would like to use it at work
>>> too.
>>> But my company is an IE outfit.
>>>
>>> So I tried to run Portable FF 1.5 off of a flashdrive.
>>>
>>> I tested it at home and it was fine but it did not work behind the
>>> company
>>> firewall.
>>>
>>> Any advice? I really miss the tabbed browsing.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>> It likely that the company is using a proxy server.  Check the IE
>> tools/internet options for the name of the proxy server, and put that into
>> the FF connections dialog.

That is a very strong indication that a proxy server is in use.  You
will have discover then name, and enter that into the FF connection
dialog if you hope to be able to use it there.