Popups galore

Ian Johnston
I notice that Firefox's popup blocker is getting steadily less
effective, as sites designers find ways round it. See www.dilbert.com
for examples - no, I do /not/ wnat some sodding smileys. Is a more
cunning blocking algorithm in the pipeline?

Ian

Re: Popups galore

Lon Hooker
Ian Johnston wrote:
> I notice that Firefox's popup blocker is getting steadily less
> effective, as sites designers find ways round it. See www.dilbert.com
> for examples - no, I do /not/ wnat some sodding smileys. Is a more
> cunning blocking algorithm in the pipeline?
>
> Ian

I don't see any pop-ups at all there...

Do you use a "hosts" file?  Go here for a full explanation and download:
  <http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm>.  Don't let the "winhelp"
bit fool you...it's cross platform.

To use it, (1) put the line <SET USE_HOSTS_FIRST=1> in config.sys, and
(2) unzip the above "hosts" file to "..\mptn\etc\hosts" (overwriting any
existing "hosts" file).  Reboot.

The downloaded "hosts" file doesn't need to be changed ... it works as-is.

HTH

Lon

Re: Popups galore

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Ian Johnston wrote:
> I notice that Firefox's popup blocker is getting steadily less
> effective, as sites designers find ways round it. See www.dilbert.com
> for examples - no, I do /not/ wnat some sodding smileys. Is a more
> cunning blocking algorithm in the pipeline?

I don't know.  The pretty girl was nice, thou.

--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Popups galore

Steve Wendt
William L. Hartzell wrote:

>> I notice that Firefox's popup blocker is getting steadily less
>> effective, as sites designers find ways round it.

The Mozilla 1.8 (Firefox 1.5) code is supposed to have smarter blocking
code in it, although I'm not sure if it is enabled by default.

> I don't know.  The pretty girl was nice, thou.

If that's the same Flash ad I saw, you can use Flashblock to prevent
these from coming up.

Re: Popups galore

Jeroen Besse
Ian Johnston wrote:
> I notice that Firefox's popup blocker is getting steadily less
> effective, as sites designers find ways round it. See www.dilbert.com
> for examples - no, I do /not/ wnat some sodding smileys. Is a more
> cunning blocking algorithm in the pipeline?
>
> Ian

Firefox 1.5 beta 1 on the dilbert site: "Firefox prevented this site
from opening a popup window..." (or something like that).

--
Best regards,
Jeroen Besse

Re: Popups galore

Allodoxaphobia
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:22:27 -0700, Lon Hooker wrote:

> Ian Johnston wrote:
>> I notice that Firefox's popup blocker is getting steadily less
>> effective, as sites designers find ways round it. See www.dilbert.com
>> for examples - no, I do /not/ wnat some sodding smileys. Is a more
>> cunning blocking algorithm in the pipeline?
>
> I don't see any pop-ups at all there...
>
> Do you use a "hosts" file?  Go here for a full explanation and download:
>  <http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm>.  Don't let the "winhelp"
> bit fool you...it's cross platform.
>
> To use it, (1) put the line <SET USE_HOSTS_FIRST=1> in config.sys, and
> (2) unzip the above "hosts" file to "..\mptn\etc\hosts"

> (overwriting any existing "hosts" file).
Ahem!!!  I wouldn't do that!  _Append_ it to your existing hosts
file.  A Very Important Point if you're using fixed LAN IP addresses, or
anything-other-than-a-pure-dumbed-down DHCP setup.

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones     | jonz         | W3DHJ  |  linux
   Pueblo, Colorado  |  @           | Jonesy |   OS/2     __