Plugin XPInstall broken for Firefox 1.5

Sherry Michael
This is probably an XPInstall question, but that forum seems to be
closed.  I just want to be able to install my plugin in Firefox 1.5.

I have an install package (XPI with install.js) to install my plugin DLL.
This installs correctly through the CODEBASE= attribute of an HTML OBJECT
tag on Firefox 1.0 (WinXP).  On Firefox 1.5 the install.log shows the
JavaScript traces of the install operations, but the plugin does not run
on the page.

Everything that should have been installed is in the correct place
 - proprietary software in C:\Program Files
 - Win Reg entries created
 - plugin DLL in Firefox \plugins folder
Looking at about:plugins shows the plugin is enabled.

I temporarily removed the plugin DLL, added an install.rdf to the XPI
file with em:type of 16 (plugin), and hit the page with the plugin object
again.  There are no traces from the install.js file indicating that it
did not run.  The install.log reports the install completed successfully,
and the Extension Manager shows the plugin as an extension, but the DLL
does not make it into the \plugins folder, even if I put it into the XPI
file in a \plugins folder.  If I replace the plugin DLL in the \plugins
directory I still can't get the plugin to run.

I can't find any documentation on how XPInstall works with FF1.5 to
install actual plugins, as opposed to trivial extensions.  What kind of
magic do I need to do to get the plugin to run on the page?

XPInstall seems broken to me.  Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Plugin XPInstall broken for Firefox 1.5

Martin Husemann
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 06:30:44PM -0600, Sherry Michael wrote:
> and the Extension Manager shows the plugin as an extension, but the DLL
> does not make it into the \plugins folder

It will be in your profile directory, under something like
extensions\$your_plugin_guid\Plugins.

Now I wish I would find out a way to check via JavaScript on a page if
a certain plugin is installed and what version it has...

Martin

Re: Plugin XPInstall broken for Firefox 1.5

Sherry Michael
Martin Husemann <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply.

> It will be in your profile directory, under something like
> extensions\$your_plugin_guid\Plugins.

Well, only if you use em:type 2 (for extension) and not em:type 16 (for
plugin) -- and having the DLL in a subdirectory of extensions doesn't
make it show up in about:plugins or make Firefox stop asking me to
manually install a missing plugin.

Do you have an XPI that successfully installs a plugin DLL that can then
be used on an html page?  Even when everything seems to be in place, and
Firefox doesn't ask me to install the missing plugin, it refuses to run
my DLL to display the plugin content.  I have the feeling there's some
extra piece of metadata Firefox uses here that I don't know about.

> Now I wish I would find out a way to check via JavaScript on a page if
> a certain plugin is installed and what version it has...

Me too.  The XPInstall documentation explicitly states the InstallTrigger
object can be used for this with
  InstallTrigger.getVersion("MyExtensionPackageName")
However, like many things documented here, it doesn't actually work.
Even when Firefox shows an extension, and the extension folder contains a
folder of extension stuff, getVersion() returns null.

Getting pretty frustrated here.