Please help! xform schema validation, inconsistant behavior!

Please help! xform schema validation, inconsistant behavior!

padamadan
Hi,

When I try the following sample: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/Load_from_XML_Schema
by clicking the link provided - "http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/
svn/trunk/05-validation/55-load-schema/load-from-schema.xhtml"  , the
xform works as mentioned in the tutorial.
But when I create the schema, instance data and the xforms, the
validation is not happening. For example, I don't see any pink color,
when I enter character data in integer columns..etc.

I diff'ed the browser "page-source" output in both of those cases, and
they came out to be EXACTLY same. Does any one know why the form
behaves differently in these cases. I checked the "view page info"
too, they also looks exactly same.

Any help is appreacited.

Thanks,
John.

Re: Please help! xform schema validation, inconsistant behavior!

padamadan
On Aug 23, 2:43 pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I try the following sample:http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/Load_from_XML_Schema
> by clicking the link provided - "http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/
> svn/trunk/05-validation/55-load-schema/load-from-schema.xhtml"  , the
> xform works as mentioned in the tutorial.
> But when I create the schema, instance data and the xforms, the
> validation is not happening. For example, I don't see any pink color,
> when I enter character data in integer columns..etc.
>
> I diff'ed the browser "page-source" output in both of those cases, and
> they came out to be EXACTLY same. Does any one know why the form
> behaves differently in these cases. I checked the "view page info"
> too, they also looks exactly same.
>
> Any help is appreacited.
>
> Thanks,
> John.

The link that works correctly is
http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/05-validation/55-load-schema/load-from-schema.xhtml.
The same link can be obtained by first loading "http://
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/Load_from_XML_Schema" and then clicking
the link
"Load Datatypes from XML Schema" in that page

Re: Please help! xform schema validation, inconsistant behavior!

Steve Speicher
Hi,

Perhaps it isn't handling the page as application/xhtml+xml.  Take a look at
the page info to see what the Type and Mode are, Tools->Page Info

The XForms processor will only kick in if content-type is
application/xhtml+xml or application/xml.  Basically any +xml media type.

Is this your problem?  Do you get any errors in error console?

-- Steve

> On Aug 23, 2:43 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I try the following sample:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/Load_from_XML_Schema
> > by clicking the link provided - "http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/
> > svn/trunk/05-validation/55-load-schema/load-from-schema.xhtml"  , the
> > xform works as mentioned in the tutorial.
> > But when I create the schema, instance data and the xforms, the
> > validation is not happening. For example, I don't see any pink color,
> > when I enter character data in integer columns..etc.
> >
> > I diff'ed the browser "page-source" output in both of those cases, and
> > they came out to be EXACTLY same. Does any one know why the form
> > behaves differently in these cases. I checked the "view page info"
> > too, they also looks exactly same.
> >
> > Any help is appreacited.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John.
>
> The link that works correctly is
>
> http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/05-validation/55-load-schema/load-from-schema.xhtml
> .
> The same link can be obtained by first loading "http://
> en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/Load_from_XML_Schema" and then clicking
> the link
> "Load Datatypes from XML Schema" in that page

Re: Please help! xform schema validation, inconsistant behavior!

padamadan
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your mail.

The page info is application/xhtml+xml. I have kept the test files in
http://files-upload.com/files/456577/test.zip
And I have NO error's in the error console.

regards,
John.

On Aug 24, 11:58 am, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thank you for your mail.
>
> The page info is application/xhtml+xml. I have kept the test files inhttp://files-upload.com/files/456577/test.zip
> And I have NO error's in the error console.
>
> regards,
> John.
>
> On Aug 24, 7:32 am, "Steve Speicher" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Perhaps it isn't handling the page as application/xhtml+xml.  Take a look at
> > the page info to see what the Type and Mode are, Tools->Page Info
>
> > The XForms processor will only kick in if content-type is
> > application/xhtml+xml or application/xml.  Basically any +xml media type.
>
> > Is this your problem?  Do you get any errors in error console?
>
> > -- Steve

> > >http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/Load_from_XML_Schema

> > > The link that works correctly is
>
> > >http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/05-validation/55-load...
> > > .
> > > The same link can be obtained by first loading "http://
> > > en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/Load_from_XML_Schema" and then clicking
> > > the link
> > > "Load Datatypes from XML Schema" in that page

I forgot to mention that I am using mozilla  xforms 0.8.0.3 and
firefox 2.0.0.6. The info.doc in the uploaded test.zip has these same
info.

Thanks,
John

Re: Please help! xform schema validation, inconsistant behavior!

Steve Speicher
John,

There appears to be a bug with the Mozilla schema loader/validator.  It
doesn't like that you've left off types from your elements in your schema.
Simply add
  type="xs:string"
to the element declarations and it will start working.

A bug needs to be filed on this, I can't find one that is already open.

-- Steve

On Aug 24, 12:24 pm, "Steve Speicher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> There appears to be a bug with the Mozilla schema loader/validator.  It
> doesn't like that you've left off types from your elements in your schema.
> Simply add
>   type="xs:string"
> to the element declarations and it will start working.
>
> A bug needs to be filed on this, I can't find one that is already open.
>
> -- Steve

> > On Aug 24, 11:58 am, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Hi Steve,
>
> > > Thank you for your mail.
>
> > > The page info is application/xhtml+xml. I have kept the test files
> > inhttp://files-upload.com/files/456577/test.zip
> > > And I have NO error's in the error console.
>
> > > regards,
> > > John.

> > look at

> > type.

> >http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/
> > the
> > color,

> > and

> >http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/05-validation/55-load...

> > Hi,
>
> > I forgot to mention that I am using mozilla  xforms 0.8.0.3 and
> > firefox 2.0.0.6. The info.doc in the uploaded test.zip has these same
> > info.
>
> > Thanks,
> > John

Thank you very much Steve! It works great now!

But, I some how could not apply those techniques in my
application :-). I don't know why! I don't want you to spend time on
this, but if you see any obvious mistake please let me know. I have
placed it here http://files-upload.com/files/458960/test2.zip.

On Aug 25, 12:59 pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Aug 24, 12:24 pm, "Steve Speicher" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > John,
>
> > There appears to be a bug with the Mozilla schema loader/validator.  It
> > doesn't like that you've left off types from your elements in your schema.
> > Simply add
> >   type="xs:string"
> > to the element declarations and it will start working.
>
> > A bug needs to be filed on this, I can't find one that is already open.
>
> > -- Steve

> > > inhttp://files-upload.com/files/456577/test.zip

> > > look at

> > > type.

> > >http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/
> > > the
> > > color,

> > > and

> > >http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/05-validation/55-load...

> > > Hi,
>
> > > I forgot to mention that I am using mozilla  xforms 0.8.0.3 and
> > > firefox 2.0.0.6. The info.doc in the uploaded test.zip has these same
> > > info.
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > John

> Thank you very much Steve! It works great now!
>
> But, I some how could not apply those techniques in my
> application :-). I don't know why! I don't want you to spend time on
> this, but if you see any obvious mistake please let me know. I have
> placed it herehttp://files-upload.com/files/458960/test2.zip.
>
> regards,
> John

Hi Steve,

I missed one problem with the sample you had corrected. The required
fields are not imposing that restrictions on the elements - the schema
in test.zip requires some fields to have values. But it does not seems
to be working.

In my application test2.zip, though the element  name="LoanAmount"
type="xs:positiveInteger"></xs:element> is defined as positive
integer, in the instance, a -ve  value is showing up in pick color. I
am not sure whether it has to do with the css code.

Thanks again for your help,
John

Re: Please help! xform schema validation, inconsistant behavior!

Steve Speicher
John,

One obvious problem with messages.xsd is that <schema> doesn't have a
namespace prefix, need to add "xs:"

Also in instance-data.xml, doesn't properly declare the xsi:schemaLocation
or a default namespace for the content, add/change these attributes:
     xsi:schemaLocation="http://localhost/mlps/xsd/ messages.xsd"  xmlns="
http://localhost/mlps/xsd/"

Also in user.xml, you have the schema attribute on the <xf:instance> element
where it belongs on the <xf:model> element.  You'll need to update your
XPath statements (ref attributes on XForms controls) to use namespace
prefixes as well.

I use the Eclipse WTP XML/XSD editors to get my XML well-formed and
validate, then put it in my XForms.

Best of luck,
Steve