Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

Aaron Leventhal-3
I've noticed that searches for "Web 2.0 accessibility", "AJAX
accessibility" or "Javascript accessibility" return very few useful
links to WAI-ARIA.

As a community we actually fix this by putting links wherever we can
with good search text in the name of the link.

For "AJAX accessibility" I'm putting links to John Resig's intro at
http://ejohn.org/blog/ajax-accessibility/

For "Web 2.0 accessibility" I'm actually creating links that say "Web
2.0 accessibility best practices with WAI-ARIA" and pointing to the Best
Practices Guide at http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-practices/.

If we don't do this, many people won't find their way to ARIA.

I'd appreciate any help from people putting useful links into their
blogs or web pages that point to ARIA intros, best practices and specs.
Pointing to anything related to ARIA will help the situation.

- Aaron
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

Steve Lee-3
On 21/05/2008, Aaron Leventhal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I'd appreciate any help from people putting useful links into their
>  blogs or web pages that point to ARIA intros, best practices and specs.
>  Pointing to anything related to ARIA will help the situation.

Good idea, done.

--
Steve Lee
--
Open Source Assistive Technology Software
web: fullmeasure.co.uk
blog: eduspaces.net/stevelee/weblog
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

Aaron Leventhal-3
In reply to this post by Aaron Leventhal-3
Cool.

Just realized that dojotoolkit.org a really good place to link to for
Web 2.0 accessibility, or accessible Javascript widgets. Most authors
won't want to have to code the ARIA themselves (let alone the actual
widgets).

- Aaron

Steve Lee wrote:
> On 21/05/2008, Aaron Leventhal<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>>   I'd appreciate any help from people putting useful links into their
>>   blogs or web pages that point to ARIA intros, best practices and specs.
>>   Pointing to anything related to ARIA will help the situation.
>
> Good idea, done.
>

_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

Aaron Leventhal-3
Anyone around here ever do any Wikipedia editing?

I think the Web 2.0 and AJAX sections should point to ARIA. There should
probably be a Wikipedia entry for WAI-ARIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)#Accessibility

- Aaron
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

James Craig-4

On May 21, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Aaron Leventhal wrote:

> Anyone around here ever do any Wikipedia editing?
>
> I think the Web 2.0 and AJAX sections should point to ARIA. There  
> should
> probably be a Wikipedia entry for WAI-ARIA.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)#Accessibility

I added a basic paragraph about ARIA on the Ajax page. Please add to  
it where appropriate.

James


_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

David Bolter
In reply to this post by Aaron Leventhal-3
I'll look into this.  If anyone else is doing this let me know.

cheers,
D
Aaron Leventhal wrote:

> Anyone around here ever do any Wikipedia editing?
>
> I think the Web 2.0 and AJAX sections should point to ARIA. There should
> probably be a Wikipedia entry for WAI-ARIA.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)#Accessibility
>
> - Aaron
> _______________________________________________
> dev-accessibility mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
>  

_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

David Bolter
In reply to this post by James Craig-4
James Craig wrote:

> On May 21, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>
>  
>> Anyone around here ever do any Wikipedia editing?
>>
>> I think the Web 2.0 and AJAX sections should point to ARIA. There  
>> should
>> probably be a Wikipedia entry for WAI-ARIA.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)#Accessibility
>>    
>
> I added a basic paragraph about ARIA on the Ajax page. Please add to  
> it where appropriate.
>
>  

I like what you've written on the Ajax page James.

I just created a barebones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAI-ARIA  (but I
worry that is an unconventional wiki name?)

I linked WAI-ARIA from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARIA, and  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Internet_application

If others can jump in and help -- please do!

cheers,
D



_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

Aaron Leventhal-3
In reply to this post by James Craig-4
Thanks for the Wikipedia entries.

To me, the most important point is that if someone knows to search for
ARIA, they can find it. But, if they are just reading about Web 2.0 or
AJAX, or are searching for a11y topics on those, they will very likely
not find their way to ARIA.

- Aaron

David Bolter wrote:

> James Craig wrote:
>> On May 21, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone around here ever do any Wikipedia editing?
>>>
>>> I think the Web 2.0 and AJAX sections should point to ARIA. There should
>>> probably be a Wikipedia entry for WAI-ARIA.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)#Accessibility
>>
>> I added a basic paragraph about ARIA on the Ajax page. Please add to
>> it where appropriate.
>>
>
> I like what you've written on the Ajax page James.
>
> I just created a barebones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAI-ARIA (but I
> worry that is an unconventional wiki name?)
>
> I linked WAI-ARIA from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARIA, and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Internet_application
>
> If others can jump in and help -- please do!
>
> cheers,
> D
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

James Craig-4
In reply to this post by David Bolter
David Bolter wrote:

> I just created a barebones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAI-ARIA   
> (but I worry that is an unconventional wiki name?)


I noticed that on the disambiguation page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARIA 
 >, someone had linked to a stub page for "Accessible Rich Internet  
Applications" which would be more consistent with the Wikipedia way of  
naming things, but I'm also for short URLs like WAI-ARIA. I don't care  
which one we keep, but we should probably roll those two together and  
redirect from the other one. Do you have a preference?

James

_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

David Bolter
James Craig wrote:

> David Bolter wrote:
>
>> I just created a barebones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAI-ARIA 
>> (but I worry that is an unconventional wiki name?)
>
>
> I noticed that on the disambiguation page
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARIA>, someone had linked to a stub page
> for "Accessible Rich Internet Applications" which would be more
> consistent with the Wikipedia way of naming things, but I'm also for
> short URLs like WAI-ARIA. I don't care which one we keep, but we
> should probably roll those two together and redirect from the other
> one. Do you have a preference?

Nice catch. Note: I did link to WAI-ARIA from the disambiguation page as
well. Still, maybe better to redirect WAI-ARIA to the longer wiki-ish
name though I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.  Can you
make this happen?

cheers,
D
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help improve Web 2.0 and AJAX accessibility search results

Marco Zehe-3
In reply to this post by James Craig-4
There's a German translation of the article here if anyone's interested:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessible_Rich_Internet_Applications

Marco
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility