Plans for 1.5.0.3 Release Team

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plans for 1.5.0.3 Release Team

Tim Riley-3
We are forming the release team and starting the initial plans for
1.5.0.3 release activities.  The core of the release team is an Overall
Lead or Co-leads, a Dev Lead and a QA Lead.  This has worked well for
1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2.  Other key roles such Build, L10n and Marketing
attend as needed or desired.   Others are welcome join if we are
reviewing specific bugs of interest or if people have extra time to help
evaluate bugs.

It has been hard for one lead developer to work on 1.5.0.x for the 2
month duration.  So this time we are going to rotate the developer on
the core team every two weeks.  Darin Fisher has agreed to take the
first tour of duty.  The core team will be:

    Tim   - Overall Lead - for duration of the project
    Darin - Dev lead     - first 2 weeks
    Jay   - QA lead      - for duration of the project

Others will join us as needed/desired:
    Rafael - Marketing
    Preed or new hire - Build
    Axel - L10n

    Anyone else can join us for the meetings.

We will start meeting at 11am Wed 3/22/06.  We'll meet M/W/F to start
with to triage the backlog of bugs and setup the schedule.  We don't
want too many different meetings so we are sharing the 11am slot and
will start taking over that slot as 1.0.8/1.5.0.2 ramps down.  This is
similar to the was we transitioned the 1.5.0.1 Release Team to the
1.0.8/1.5.0.2 Release Team.

Location:    Mountain View main conference table
Dial-in:
   Toll-free Number:          866-432-7917
   International Number:    334-309-0297
IRC: #1503

Meeting notes will be put here:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.3:Release_Team_Notes

We use a set of predefined bugzilla queries.  Currently the best set for
1.5.0.3 are on the tinderbox page:
http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/showbuilds.cgi?tree=Mozilla1.8.0

There are also some good queries from dbaron for the branch blocker
nominations or approval request queues here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/request.cgi?group=type&type=blocking1.8.0.3
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/request.cgi?group=type&type=approval1.8.0.3
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plans for 1.5.0.3 Release Team

Axel Hecht
Tim Riley wrote:

> We are forming the release team and starting the initial plans for
> 1.5.0.3 release activities.  The core of the release team is an Overall
> Lead or Co-leads, a Dev Lead and a QA Lead.  This has worked well for
> 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2.  Other key roles such Build, L10n and Marketing
> attend as needed or desired.   Others are welcome join if we are
> reviewing specific bugs of interest or if people have extra time to help
> evaluate bugs.
>
> It has been hard for one lead developer to work on 1.5.0.x for the 2
> month duration.  So this time we are going to rotate the developer on
> the core team every two weeks.  Darin Fisher has agreed to take the
> first tour of duty.  The core team will be:
>
>    Tim   - Overall Lead - for duration of the project
>    Darin - Dev lead     - first 2 weeks
>    Jay   - QA lead      - for duration of the project
>
> Others will join us as needed/desired:
>    Rafael - Marketing
>    Preed or new hire - Build
>    Axel - L10n

As such a conference call really kills my evening, I'd like to discuss
on how we decide "needed/desired". Can we group requests that have l10n
impact onto a single day? (I'd like Monday, staff meeting is already
making that one) Does one of the the core team feel confident to make
the call that something is l10n impact?

>    Anyone else can join us for the meetings.

Are we going to discuss security relevant topics? I'm just wondering on
the "anyone".

> We will start meeting at 11am Wed 3/22/06.  We'll meet M/W/F to start
> with to triage the backlog of bugs and setup the schedule.  We don't
> want too many different meetings so we are sharing the 11am slot and
> will start taking over that slot as 1.0.8/1.5.0.2 ramps down.  This is
> similar to the was we transitioned the 1.5.0.1 Release Team to the
> 1.0.8/1.5.0.2 Release Team.
>
> Location:    Mountain View main conference table
> Dial-in:
>   Toll-free Number:          866-432-7917
>   International Number:    334-309-0297
> IRC: #1503
>
> Meeting notes will be put here:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.3:Release_Team_Notes

I guess we could factor some of the content there to Firefox:1.5.0.3 and
have that meeting notes just list an archive of individual pages?

> We use a set of predefined bugzilla queries.  Currently the best set for
> 1.5.0.3 are on the tinderbox page:
> http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/showbuilds.cgi?tree=Mozilla1.8.0
>
> There are also some good queries from dbaron for the branch blocker
> nominations or approval request queues here:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/request.cgi?group=type&type=blocking1.8.0.3
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/request.cgi?group=type&type=approval1.8.0.3

Axel
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plans for 1.5.0.3 Release Team

Tim Riley-3
Axel Hecht wrote:

> Tim Riley wrote:
>> We are forming the release team and starting the initial plans for
>> 1.5.0.3 release activities.  The core of the release team is an
>> Overall Lead or Co-leads, a Dev Lead and a QA Lead.  This has worked
>> well for 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2.  Other key roles such Build, L10n and
>> Marketing attend as needed or desired.   Others are welcome join if we
>> are reviewing specific bugs of interest or if people have extra time
>> to help evaluate bugs.
>>
>> It has been hard for one lead developer to work on 1.5.0.x for the 2
>> month duration.  So this time we are going to rotate the developer on
>> the core team every two weeks.  Darin Fisher has agreed to take the
>> first tour of duty.  The core team will be:
>>
>>    Tim   - Overall Lead - for duration of the project
>>    Darin - Dev lead     - first 2 weeks
>>    Jay   - QA lead      - for duration of the project
>>
>> Others will join us as needed/desired:
>>    Rafael - Marketing
>>    Preed or new hire - Build
>>    Axel - L10n
>
> As such a conference call really kills my evening, I'd like to discuss
> on how we decide "needed/desired". Can we group requests that have l10n
> impact onto a single day? (I'd like Monday, staff meeting is already
> making that one) Does one of the the core team feel confident to make
> the call that something is l10n impact?

We can try to focus L10n issues on one day.  Monday should be fine.
Sometimes it is hard as issues come up in bug triage or post-code freeze
testing and we need to discuss it within a day or two.  Hopefully those
issues can be handled via seperate discussions rather than keeping you
late all the time.

>
>>    Anyone else can join us for the meetings.
>
> Are we going to discuss security relevant topics? I'm just wondering on
> the "anyone".

We should generally welcome anyone that can contribute to the
discussion.  For 1.5.0.1 we found that a large percentage of the
discussions were not security related.  In reality we rarely get extra
people joining us so this has not been an issue.

>
>> We will start meeting at 11am Wed 3/22/06.  We'll meet M/W/F to start
>> with to triage the backlog of bugs and setup the schedule.  We don't
>> want too many different meetings so we are sharing the 11am slot and
>> will start taking over that slot as 1.0.8/1.5.0.2 ramps down.  This is
>> similar to the was we transitioned the 1.5.0.1 Release Team to the
>> 1.0.8/1.5.0.2 Release Team.
>>
>> Location:    Mountain View main conference table
>> Dial-in:
>>   Toll-free Number:          866-432-7917
>>   International Number:    334-309-0297
>> IRC: #1503
>>
>> Meeting notes will be put here:
>> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.3:Release_Team_Notes
>
> I guess we could factor some of the content there to Firefox:1.5.0.3 and
> have that meeting notes just list an archive of individual pages?

I am not sure of the point here.  In the past we have done mtg notes in
a few different ways:

1) for 1.0.8 I started posting the entire mtg notes to the wiki and
pointing the 1.0.8 mtg notes link to there:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.0.8:Release_Team_Notes:2006.03.08
2) Later for 1.0.8  posted just the 1.0.8 notes in separate pages per
meeting: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.0.8:Release_Team_Notes:2006.03.16
3) For 1.5.0.2, davel did a running log of meeting notes. See:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.2:Meeting_Notes

Which do you like best?

>
>> We use a set of predefined bugzilla queries.  Currently the best set
>> for 1.5.0.3 are on the tinderbox page:
>> http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/showbuilds.cgi?tree=Mozilla1.8.0
>>
>> There are also some good queries from dbaron for the branch blocker
>> nominations or approval request queues here:
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/request.cgi?group=type&type=blocking1.8.0.3
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/request.cgi?group=type&type=approval1.8.0.3
>
> Axel
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plans for 1.5.0.3 Release Team

Axel Hecht-2
Tim Riley wrote:

> Axel Hecht wrote:
>> Tim Riley wrote:
>>> We are forming the release team and starting the initial plans for
>>> 1.5.0.3 release activities.  The core of the release team is an
>>> Overall Lead or Co-leads, a Dev Lead and a QA Lead.  This has worked
>>> well for 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2.  Other key roles such Build, L10n and
>>> Marketing attend as needed or desired.   Others are welcome join if
>>> we are reviewing specific bugs of interest or if people have extra
>>> time to help evaluate bugs.
>>>
>>> It has been hard for one lead developer to work on 1.5.0.x for the 2
>>> month duration.  So this time we are going to rotate the developer on
>>> the core team every two weeks.  Darin Fisher has agreed to take the
>>> first tour of duty.  The core team will be:
>>>
>>>    Tim   - Overall Lead - for duration of the project
>>>    Darin - Dev lead     - first 2 weeks
>>>    Jay   - QA lead      - for duration of the project
>>>
>>> Others will join us as needed/desired:
>>>    Rafael - Marketing
>>>    Preed or new hire - Build
>>>    Axel - L10n
>>
>> As such a conference call really kills my evening, I'd like to discuss
>> on how we decide "needed/desired". Can we group requests that have
>> l10n impact onto a single day? (I'd like Monday, staff meeting is
>> already making that one) Does one of the the core team feel confident
>> to make the call that something is l10n impact?
>
> We can try to focus L10n issues on one day.  Monday should be fine.
> Sometimes it is hard as issues come up in bug triage or post-code freeze
> testing and we need to discuss it within a day or two.  Hopefully those
> issues can be handled via seperate discussions rather than keeping you
> late all the time.
>
>>
>>>    Anyone else can join us for the meetings.
>>
>> Are we going to discuss security relevant topics? I'm just wondering
>> on the "anyone".
>
> We should generally welcome anyone that can contribute to the
> discussion.  For 1.5.0.1 we found that a large percentage of the
> discussions were not security related.  In reality we rarely get extra
> people joining us so this has not been an issue.
>
>>
>>> We will start meeting at 11am Wed 3/22/06.  We'll meet M/W/F to start
>>> with to triage the backlog of bugs and setup the schedule.  We don't
>>> want too many different meetings so we are sharing the 11am slot and
>>> will start taking over that slot as 1.0.8/1.5.0.2 ramps down.  This
>>> is similar to the was we transitioned the 1.5.0.1 Release Team to the
>>> 1.0.8/1.5.0.2 Release Team.
>>>
>>> Location:    Mountain View main conference table
>>> Dial-in:
>>>   Toll-free Number:          866-432-7917
>>>   International Number:    334-309-0297
>>> IRC: #1503
>>>
>>> Meeting notes will be put here:
>>> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.3:Release_Team_Notes
>>
>> I guess we could factor some of the content there to Firefox:1.5.0.3
>> and have that meeting notes just list an archive of individual pages?
>
> I am not sure of the point here.  In the past we have done mtg notes in
> a few different ways:
>
> 1) for 1.0.8 I started posting the entire mtg notes to the wiki and
> pointing the 1.0.8 mtg notes link to there:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.0.8:Release_Team_Notes:2006.03.08
> 2) Later for 1.0.8  posted just the 1.0.8 notes in separate pages per
> meeting:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.0.8:Release_Team_Notes:2006.03.16
> 3) For 1.5.0.2, davel did a running log of meeting notes. See:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.2:Meeting_Notes
>
> Which do you like best?

I don't have any real preference right now, other than I guess that I
prefer a page per meeting, though that may become bloated. If we did a
page like Davel did, I guess I'd like to have the new meetings come in
on top, though.

My basic point was to separate the team notes from the agenda of a
particular meeting.

Axel
_______________________________________________
dev-planning mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-planning