Planning to translate to a new language

Simos Xenitellis

Dear All,
I'll be helping out with the translation of Firefox to a new language.
The volunteer has *two* months time to devote for this.
A. Which between Firefox 1.5x and Firefox 2.x should we target?
B. In addition, is there a process so that the translator is exposed to
PO files only?

Cheers,
Simos

Re: Planning to translate to a new language

lauris (Bugzilla)
Hi,

  Same situation here. I had done Firefox 1.0 translation and wanted to
update. Just don't know, should I update to 1.5 or just skip 1.5 and
start working on 2.0?

Best regards,
Lauris

Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> Dear All,
> I'll be helping out with the translation of Firefox to a new language.
> The volunteer has *two* months time to devote for this.
> A. Which between Firefox 1.5x and Firefox 2.x should we target?
> B. In addition, is there a process so that the translator is exposed
> to PO files only?
>
> Cheers,
> Simos

Re: Planning to translate to a new language

Axel Hecht
Lauris Bukšis-Haberkorns wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Same situation here. I had done Firefox 1.0 translation and wanted to
> update. Just don't know, should I update to 1.5 or just skip 1.5 and
> start working on 2.0?

Release of 2.0 is, very roughly and totally not press-worthy, 3rd
quarter this year.

Axel

Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> Dear All,
> I'll be helping out with the translation of Firefox to a new language.
> The volunteer has *two* months time to devote for this.

Now, this is a tricky problem. What we need is someone maintaining a
localization, which, of course, can't be done in two months.

Would you disclose which locale you're talking about?

> A. Which between Firefox 1.5x and Firefox 2.x should we target?

See my other post, I guess 2.0 is a better target for a new localization.

> B. In addition, is there a process so that the translator is exposed to
> PO files only?

That has been asked elsewhere, and I'm pretty confident that there is no
way to do a full localization of Firefox with po files only. See the
thread "How to get a voucher" for details on this.

Axel

Re: Planning to translate to a new language

Simos Xenitellis
O/H Axel Hecht έγραψε:
> Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>> I'll be helping out with the translation of Firefox to a new language.
>> The volunteer has *two* months time to devote for this.
>
> Now, this is a tricky problem. What we need is someone maintaining a
> localization, which, of course, can't be done in two months.
I believe that if the localisation can be completed in two months, and
Firefox get used widely, there will be someone undertaking the task to
update.

> Would you disclose which locale you're talking about?
It is the Lango language (ISO 639-3 code: LAJ).

>> A. Which between Firefox 1.5x and Firefox 2.x should we target?
>
> See my other post, I guess 2.0 is a better target for a new localization.
Thanks, this is important.

>> B. In addition, is there a process so that the translator is exposed
>> to PO files only?
>
> That has been asked elsewhere, and I'm pretty confident that there is
> no way to do a full localization of Firefox with po files only. See
> the thread "How to get a voucher" for details on this.
I see. There are a couple of people I can get (=annoy) to vouch for this.

Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> O/H Axel Hecht έγραψε:
>> Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> I'll be helping out with the translation of Firefox to a new language.
>>> The volunteer has *two* months time to devote for this.
>>
>> Now, this is a tricky problem. What we need is someone maintaining a
>> localization, which, of course, can't be done in two months.
> I believe that if the localisation can be completed in two months, and
> Firefox get used widely, there will be someone undertaking the task to
> update.

Then I suggest trying to do a community release first. There is a
considerable amount of massage-work involved in getting an official
release, and getting CVS write access requires a significant amount of
long-term commitment, too.

>> Would you disclose which locale you're talking about?
> It is the Lango language (ISO 639-3 code: LAJ).
>>
>>> A. Which between Firefox 1.5x and Firefox 2.x should we target?
>>
>> See my other post, I guess 2.0 is a better target for a new localization.
> Thanks, this is important.

If you're starting from scratch, maybe it's easier to start with the
frozen 1.5 and move over to 2.0 development once that code is more
stable. As currently, it is in a pretty flux shape.
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Draft:L10n:Creating_a_new_Localization may be of
some help.

>>> B. In addition, is there a process so that the translator is exposed
>>> to PO files only?
>>
>> That has been asked elsewhere, and I'm pretty confident that there is
>> no way to do a full localization of Firefox with po files only. See
>> the thread "How to get a voucher" for details on this.
> I see. There are a couple of people I can get (=annoy) to vouch for this.

I'm afraid you mis-read that thread. "Vouchers" in terms of l10n is me
or gandalf, who do a technical review of your source. This has nothing
to do with random folks vouching.

Axel