Ping Walt: that stupid little blue down arrow

Ping Walt: that stupid little blue down arrow

Hi Walt,

I use Go To Assist a lot.  It is miserable to get computer
illiterate (99% of my customers or I would not have
a job) users to log into Go To Assist because of that
little stupid blue down arrow.  DRIVES ME INSANE!

I have spoken to Go To Assist several times about this.  Their
solution is to have users switch to Chrome.  And yes, I have
had ZERO issues getting illiterate customer to log in with Chrome.

Question for you.  Would it be a waste of my time to write up
and RFE to the developers?  They don't seem to give a damn
what users think anymore.

Many thanks,
-T

Re: Ping Walt: that stupid little blue down arrow

tanstaafl-2
On 4/14/2019, 11:58:32 PM, T <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Question for you.  Would it be a waste of my time to write up
> and RFE to the developers?  They don't seem to give a damn
> what users think anymore.

IF I were a developer, I'd ignore your arrogant disrespectful ass too.

Maybe try showing a little respect and ask nicely?

It is free software after all.

Re: Ping Walt: that stupid little blue down arrow

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 15/04/2019 15:47, Tanstaafl wrote:
> IF I were a developer, I'd ignore your arrogant disrespectful ass too.
>
> Maybe try showing a little respect and ask nicely?

Since when did rogue traders show respect to people who provide bread &
butter to them?  T is a known rogue trader (who will thank you by
swearing at you or to you) and some people have already filtered him out
until someone like you quotes him in full here or on Windows NG.

--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

On 4/15/19 7:47 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 4/14/2019, 11:58:32 PM, T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Question for you.  Would it be a waste of my time to write up
>> and RFE to the developers?  They don't seem to give a damn
>> what users think anymore.
>
> IF I were a developer, I'd ignore your arrogant disrespectful ass too.
>
> Maybe try showing a little respect and ask nicely?
>
> It is free software after all.

I am very respectful when I ask.  Because I speak openly
here does not mean I dis'ing them there.

And I am not being disrespectful here either.  I am
being blunt and getting straight to the point.  This
is a different forum than the bugzilla.

I have been a fan of Firefox for more years than I
can remember.  I have it spread over two counties
on several hundred of my customer's sites and assist
them with it on almost a daily basis.

Do you think the developers give a damn about my
feedback?  It is frustrating to see Firefox die
like this.  And as more and more sites stop
working correctly with Firefox, Firefox is dying.

The developers need to spend more time listening
to their users and less time firing folks for
the way they vote, which, by the way, is UN-American.

Re: Ping Walt: that stupid little blue down arrow

WaltS48-9
On 4/14/19 11:58 PM, T wrote:

> Hi Walt,
>
> I use Go To Assist a lot.  It is miserable to get computer
> illiterate (99% of my customers or I would not have
> a job) users to log into Go To Assist because of that
> little stupid blue down arrow.  DRIVES ME INSANE!
>
> I have spoken to Go To Assist several times about this.  Their
> solution is to have users switch to Chrome.  And yes, I have
> had ZERO issues getting illiterate customer to log in with Chrome.
>
> Question for you.  Would it be a waste of my time to write up
> and RFE to the developers?  They don't seem to give a damn
> what users think anymore.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Go To Assist aka RescueAssist?

Are you talking about a little stupid blue arrow in that program or Firefox?

I'm not familiar with the program and probably wouldn't waste my time on
a RFE to developers of either application.

--
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon Desktop

On 4/15/19 2:06 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/14/19 11:58 PM, T wrote:
>> Hi Walt,
>>
>> I use Go To Assist a lot.  It is miserable to get computer
>> illiterate (99% of my customers or I would not have
>> a job) users to log into Go To Assist because of that
>> little stupid blue down arrow.  DRIVES ME INSANE!
>>
>> I have spoken to Go To Assist several times about this.  Their
>> solution is to have users switch to Chrome.  And yes, I have
>> had ZERO issues getting illiterate customer to log in with Chrome.
>>
>> Question for you.  Would it be a waste of my time to write up
>> and RFE to the developers?  They don't seem to give a damn
>> what users think anymore.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> Go To Assist aka RescueAssist?

They bought each other recently.  Now the same folks.

> Are you talking about a little stupid blue arrow in that program or
> Firefox?

The one in Firefox.  NO ONE can find it when I tell them
to go look for it.

Now to me, it is a sweet feature.  But to non-techies, it
is an abomination.  And it drives me INSANE.  It has taken
me up to 25 minutes to get customers logged in when using
Firefox.

But on Chrome/Brave, they have ZERO trouble. Chrome's/Brave's
method is ugly and clunky, BUT NO ONE HAS ANY TROUBLE USING IT.
And they using click on the download before I even ask
them to !!!

This is Firefox NOT listening to their users again.

> I'm not familiar with the program and probably wouldn't waste my time on
> a RFE to developers of either application.

Spitting in a fan

Re: Ping Walt: that stupid little blue down arrow

Ray_Net
T wrote on 15-04-19 23:17:

> On 4/15/19 2:06 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 4/14/19 11:58 PM, T wrote:
>>> Hi Walt,
>>>
>>> I use Go To Assist a lot.  It is miserable to get computer
>>> illiterate (99% of my customers or I would not have
>>> a job) users to log into Go To Assist because of that
>>> little stupid blue down arrow.  DRIVES ME INSANE!
>>>
>>> I have spoken to Go To Assist several times about this.  Their
>>> solution is to have users switch to Chrome.  And yes, I have
>>> had ZERO issues getting illiterate customer to log in with Chrome.
>>>
>>> Question for you.  Would it be a waste of my time to write up
>>> and RFE to the developers?  They don't seem to give a damn
>>> what users think anymore.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>>

>> Go To Assist aka RescueAssist?
>
> They bought each other recently.  Now the same folks.
>

>> Are you talking about a little stupid blue arrow in that program or
>> Firefox?
>
> The one in Firefox.  NO ONE can find it when I tell them
> to go look for it.
>
> Now to me, it is a sweet feature.  But to non-techies, it
> is an abomination.  And it drives me INSANE.  It has taken
> me up to 25 minutes to get customers logged in when using
> Firefox.
>
> But on Chrome/Brave, they have ZERO trouble. Chrome's/Brave's
> method is ugly and clunky, BUT NO ONE HAS ANY TROUBLE USING IT.
> And they using click on the download before I even ask
> them to !!!
>
> This is Firefox NOT listening to their users again.
>
>> I'm not familiar with the program and probably wouldn't waste my time
>> on a RFE to developers of either application.
>
> Spitting in a fan

When I go to: https://up.gotoassist.com

It is changed to:
https://authentication.logmeininc.com/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fauthentication.logmeininc.com%2Foauth%2Fapprove%3Fclient_id%3Dbe2f6546-685a-4dd7-a417-d2a8a5a028eb%26response_type%3Dtoken%26redirect_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fup.gotoassist.com%252F%26state%3D822549%26minLoa%3D2&minLoa=2&theme=ra

AND I did not see any "blue down arrow" ....

On 4/15/19 7:50 PM, Ray_Net wrote:

> T wrote on 15-04-19 23:17:

>>> Go To Assist aka RescueAssist?
>>
>> They bought each other recently.  Now the same folks.
>>

>>> Are you talking about a little stupid blue arrow in that program or
>>> Firefox?
>>
>> The one in Firefox.  NO ONE can find it when I tell them
>> to go look for it.
>>
>> Now to me, it is a sweet feature.  But to non-techies, it
>> is an abomination.  And it drives me INSANE.  It has taken
>> me up to 25 minutes to get customers logged in when using
>> Firefox.
>>
>> But on Chrome/Brave, they have ZERO trouble. Chrome's/Brave's
>> method is ugly and clunky, BUT NO ONE HAS ANY TROUBLE USING IT.
>> And they using click on the download before I even ask
>> them to !!!
>>
>> This is Firefox NOT listening to their users again.
>>
>>> I'm not familiar with the program and probably wouldn't waste my time
>>> on a RFE to developers of either application.
>>
>> Spitting in a fan
>>

> When I go to: https://up.gotoassist.com
>
> It is changed to:
> https://authentication.logmeininc.com/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fauthentication.logmeininc.com%2Foauth%2Fapprove%3Fclient_id%3Dbe2f6546-685a-4dd7-a417-d2a8a5a028eb%26response_type%3Dtoken%26redirect_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fup.gotoassist.com%252F%26state%3D822549%26minLoa%3D2&minLoa=2&theme=ra
>

> AND I did not see any "blue down arrow" ....

I think he needs to instruct the user to download and install it and
when the user can't find the Download arrow icon to monitor the progress
it becomes a hassle.

My solution would be once the user found the icon to click on it and
display the door hanger to follow the progress and not use the Library
window.

Once on the toolbar the user could right click on the icon and remove
the check mark for "Auto-Hide in Toolbar" so it is there at all times.

On 4/15/19 4:50 PM, Ray_Net wrote:

> T wrote on 15-04-19 23:17:

>>> Go To Assist aka RescueAssist?
>>
>> They bought each other recently.  Now the same folks.
>>

>>> Are you talking about a little stupid blue arrow in that program or
>>> Firefox?
>>
>> The one in Firefox.  NO ONE can find it when I tell them
>> to go look for it.
>>
>> Now to me, it is a sweet feature.  But to non-techies, it
>> is an abomination.  And it drives me INSANE.  It has taken
>> me up to 25 minutes to get customers logged in when using
>> Firefox.
>>
>> But on Chrome/Brave, they have ZERO trouble. Chrome's/Brave's
>> method is ugly and clunky, BUT NO ONE HAS ANY TROUBLE USING IT.
>> And they using click on the download before I even ask
>> them to !!!
>>
>> This is Firefox NOT listening to their users again.
>><ctrl><shit><Y>
>>> I'm not familiar with the program and probably wouldn't waste my time
>>> on a RFE to developers of either application.
>>
>> Spitting in a fan
>>

> When I go to: https://up.gotoassist.com
>
> It is changed to:
> https://authentication.logmeininc.com/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fauthentication.logmeininc.com%2Foauth%2Fapprove%3Fclient_id%3Dbe2f6546-685a-4dd7-a417-d2a8a5a028eb%26response_type%3Dtoken%26redirect_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fup.gotoassist.com%252F%26state%3D822549%26minLoa%3D2&minLoa=2&theme=ra
>

> AND I did not see any "blue down arrow" ....

You won't until you enter the 9 digit key (provided by me)
and press continue.

After the download, I tell them to look for the "little
blue down arrow to the right of your address bar".

They never can find it.  It would help if they knew what an
address bar was, but ...  (Tip: toggle f6 and see what flashes]
at you.)

I have better luck with telling them to press <ctrl><shift><Y>.
If that does not work, then its Windows Explorer and off
to the download directory in the left column

If that does not work, I ask them if they have Chrome installed.
I have to describe the icon most of the time.  They have
ZERO issues with "Blink" based browsers.

Oh ya, when I ask them what browser they are using, they don't
know what a browser is.  When I ask them how they get on the
Internet, they say "with my Google".  So I describe the Chrome
icon circle.  Cool if they have Brave installed, but that would
be by me as is Firefox.

Takes my breath away at times.  But I have to remember that
if they knew what they were doing, they would not need me.
Plus I adore my customers.  They are a blessing.

I have had a few instances for a five minute fix where I had
to make a house call because of the stupid little blue down
arrow.  Very frustrating as I don't charge unless it goes
over 12 minutes or for travel time.

I personally, think the blue down arrow is cute, but I am
an advanced user, unlike the 99% installed base of Firefox.

On 4/15/19 5:28 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/15/19 7:50 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
>> T wrote on 15-04-19 23:17:

>>> They bought each other recently.  Now the same folks.

>>> The one in Firefox.  NO ONE can find it when I tell them
>>> to go look for it.
>>>
>>> Now to me, it is a sweet feature.  But to non-techies, it
>>> is an abomination.  And it drives me INSANE.  It has taken
>>> me up to 25 minutes to get customers logged in when using
>>> Firefox.
>>>
>>> But on Chrome/Brave, they have ZERO trouble. Chrome's/Brave's
>>> method is ugly and clunky, BUT NO ONE HAS ANY TROUBLE USING IT.
>>> And they using click on the download before I even ask
>>> them to !!!
>>>
>>> This is Firefox NOT listening to their users again.

>>> Spitting in a fan
>>>

>> When I go to: https://up.gotoassist.com
>>
>> It is changed to:
>> https://authentication.logmeininc.com/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fauthentication.logmeininc.com%2Foauth%2Fapprove%3Fclient_id%3Dbe2f6546-685a-4dd7-a417-d2a8a5a028eb%26response_type%3Dtoken%26redirect_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fup.gotoassist.com%252F%26state%3D822549%26minLoa%3D2&minLoa=2&theme=ra
>>

>> AND I did not see any "blue down arrow" ....
>
> I think he needs to instruct the user to download and install it and
> when the user can't find the Download arrow icon to monitor the progress
> it becomes a hassle.
>
> My solution would be once the user found the icon to click on it and
> display the door hanger to follow the progress and not use the Library
> window.
>
> Once on the toolbar the user could right click on the icon and remove
> the check mark for "Auto-Hide in Toolbar" so it is there at all times.

Walt, they just can't find it.  They are low skill users.  When they
do find it, I tell them to left click on it.  When the widows pops up,
to double left click right in the middle of the file names letters.
They don't care about the progress.  It only takes about two seconds
to download the stub and no one cares about its download progress.

The problem here is that you and I are advanced users.  "We" know
what is going on.  Mozilla is ignoring the travails of low skill
users.  Presumable, Mozilla does not want to deal with idiots.
And what they have come up with is a browser that 99% of the users
A.K.A, idiots, go elsewhere.

As I have stated before, I have had ZERO issues with "Blink"
based browsers.  That download box in the lower left is indeed
intrusive and ugly.  But EVERYONE can find it!  Blink is taking
the user base's skill level into account.  Firefox is not.

It is no mystery why M$ is switching to Blink and not Firefox's
engine.   (Oh boy does Edge stink!)

It sucks to see Firefox die like this.

On 4/14/19 8:58 PM, T wrote:

> Hi Walt,
>
> I use Go To Assist a lot.  It is miserable to get computer
> illiterate (99% of my customers or I would not have
> a job) users to log into Go To Assist because of that
> little stupid blue down arrow.  DRIVES ME INSANE!
>
> I have spoken to Go To Assist several times about this.  Their
> solution is to have users switch to Chrome.  And yes, I have
> had ZERO issues getting illiterate customer to log in with Chrome.
>
> Question for you.  Would it be a waste of my time to write up
> and RFE to the developers?  They don't seem to give a damn
> what users think anymore.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

An idea.  I know they won't listen, but here goes,
when the download completes, have a large bubble
pop up for five or so seconds that points to the blue
download arrow that states to click here for your
download or some such.

On 4/17/19 6:35 PM, T wrote:

> On 4/14/19 8:58 PM, T wrote:
>> Hi Walt,
>>
>> I use Go To Assist a lot.  It is miserable to get computer
>> illiterate (99% of my customers or I would not have
>> a job) users to log into Go To Assist because of that
>> little stupid blue down arrow.  DRIVES ME INSANE!
>>
>> I have spoken to Go To Assist several times about this.  Their
>> solution is to have users switch to Chrome.  And yes, I have
>> had ZERO issues getting illiterate customer to log in with Chrome.
>>
>> Question for you.  Would it be a waste of my time to write up
>> and RFE to the developers?  They don't seem to give a damn
>> what users think anymore.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> An idea.  I know they won't listen, but here goes,
> when the download completes, have a large bubble
> pop up for five or so seconds that points to the blue
> download arrow that states to click here for your
> download or some such.

I seem to recall that it did flash a bigger arrow when a download was
complete.

I don't know if a user or developer filed a bug report to change it to
the way it is now. Not doing a search for the report either.

On 4/17/19 7:20 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/17/19 6:35 PM, T wrote:
>> On 4/14/19 8:58 PM, T wrote:

> I seem to recall that it did flash a bigger arrow when a download was
> complete.

I does.  It is done really nicely.  Problem: low skill users never
see it and if they do they don't realize what just transpired

I never have a problem with "Blink" based browsers.  It is
ugly, cumbersome, intrusive and low skill users always find it.

> I don't know if a user or developer filed a bug report to change it to
> the way it is now. Not doing a search for the report either.

Don't waste your time.  They will ignore you/me/it anyway.

Re: Ping Walt: that stupid little blue down arrow

Disaster Master
On 4/18/2019, 12:58:19 AM, T <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 4/17/19 7:20 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> I don't know if a user or developer filed a bug report to change it to
>> the way it is now. Not doing a search for the report either.
>
> Don't waste your time.  They will ignore you/me/it anyway.

Or you could stop whining and find a decent Addon that helps.

Here are three:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-statusbar-webext

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wx-download-status-bar

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/s3download-statusbar

On 4/18/19 5:48 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
> On 4/18/2019, 12:58:19 AM, T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 4/17/19 7:20 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>> I don't know if a user or developer filed a bug report to change it to
>>> the way it is now. Not doing a search for the report either.
>>
>> Don't waste your time.  They will ignore you/me/it anyway.
>
> Or you could stop whining and find a decent Addon that helps.

Whining is fun!

> Here are three:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-statusbar-webext
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wx-download-status-bar
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/s3download-statusbar

Seriously!

Low skill users have no idea how to user add ons.  When I
install Firefox for them, the only add on I use is uBlock
Orgin.  I use it to show them all the adds they are missing
on IE/Edge and that gets them over to Firefox.

If a low skill users "somehow" manages to figure out how to
install Firefox themselves, they are completely in the dark
about add ons.

A frequent complain I get from low skill uses is that they
installed something from the web 20 times and it still does not
work.  When I look at their download directory, I see
      xxx.msi
      xxx(2)..msi
      xxx(20).msi
So you get the picture.

I do appreciate the links, but they are for me (a high skill
use), not for a low skill user.

Now even if I do manage to get them past the little blue
arrow and get them logged into Go To Assist and then
install one of your suggestions, they won't remember
what I did because the have extreme difficulty LEARNING
ANYTHING NEW.

I personally like the little stupid blue down arrow, but
I am a high skill user.

Blink's method is ugly and intrusive. But my low skill uses never
have any trouble using it.  They frequently start the stub
before I even tell them to.

I am not the audience here.  Are you starting to see the picture
I am painting yet?

Re: Ping Walt: that stupid little blue down arrow

tanstaafl-2
On Thu Apr 18 2019 16:27:08 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), T
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Whining is fun!

For children, yes, I know, I have three babies that prove that every day.

> Low skill users have no idea how to user add ons.  When I
> install Firefox for them, the only add on I use is uBlock
> Orgin.

The 'low skill users' don't have to know 'how to use' a lot of Addons,
and if you are installing FF for them, you could just install the Addon
to eliminate this problem of yours.

Or, you could just tell them to press and hold the CTRL key then tap the
'J' key.

Or you could tell them to press the 'F10' key, the click the Tools menu,
then click 'Downloads'.

> A frequent complain I get from low skill uses is that they
> installed something from the web 20 times and it still does not
> work.  When I look at their download directory, I see
>       xxx.msi
>       xxx(2)..msi
>       xxx(20).msi
> So you get the picture.

Sure, this is why I set the Downloads location to the Desktop, so
Downloads aren't hidden.

> I do appreciate the links, but they are for me (a high skill
> use), not for a low skill user.

But if you are installing FF for them and assisting them all the time,
then you could install it and be done with it.

> Are you starting to see the picture I am painting yet?

Yes... you are a whiny child.

On 4/19/19 6:12 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On Thu Apr 18 2019 16:27:08 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), T
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Whining is fun!
>
> For children, yes, I know, I have three babies that prove that every day.
>
>> Low skill users have no idea how to user add ons.  When I
>> install Firefox for them, the only add on I use is uBlock
>> Orgin.
>
> The 'low skill users' don't have to know 'how to use' a lot of Addons,
> and if you are installing FF for them, you could just install the Addon
> to eliminate this problem of yours.
>
> Or, you could just tell them to press and hold the CTRL key then tap the
> 'J' key.

I has to flash at them.

> Or you could tell them to press the 'F10' key, the click the Tools menu,
> then click 'Downloads'.

I have all kinds of tricks.  f6 is one of them.

>> A frequent complain I get from low skill uses is that they
>> installed something from the web 20 times and it still does not
>> work.  When I look at their download directory, I see
>>        xxx.msi
>>        xxx(2)..msi
>>        xxx(20).msi
>> So you get the picture.
>
> Sure, this is why I set the Downloads location to the Desktop, so
> Downloads aren't hidden.

And in two months time, they overrun their desktop.  I give
them a "Downloads" folder on their desktop, along with other
folders.  But is does me no good until after I get logged in.

>> I do appreciate the links, but they are for me (a high skill
>> use), not for a low skill user.
>
> But if you are installing FF for them and assisting them all the time,
> then you could install it and be done with it.

I find it best to stay away from fancy adnon, except fom
me.  I have a ton of them.

Ehat happends is when the upgrade prompt hit for the addon,
they think VIRUS.  So I try to keep it to uBlock Orgin.

>> Are you starting to see the picture I am painting yet?
>
> Yes... you are a whiny child.

You should try it.  It is cathardic.

Calling someone a whiner is also meant as an insult when you
don't like what the other person is saying.  Means you lost
the argument.  Sort of like calling someone a racist or
a Fascist.