Ping-Joe: not a moderator

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
JoeS wrote:

> Moderated by Chris alone now.

would you mind telling us why you're no-longer a moderator?

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
may get banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/28/2008 8:51 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

> JoeS wrote:
>
>> Moderated by Chris alone now.
>
> would you mind telling us why you're no-longer a moderator?

My guess is Joe didn't see any need for his "position".  Chris did what
he wanted as the "Master Moderator" regardless if Joe was originally
supposed to have control of the group.  Joe wouldn't have acted in the
way Chris did because Joe was trying to encourage community.  And we all
know Chris could give a rats ass about community.  Would you stick
around in light of that?

Of course, I may have it all wrong... ;-)

--
Terry R.

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

JoeS-3
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 4/28/2008 8:51 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> JoeS wrote:
>>
>>> Moderated by Chris alone now.
>>
>> would you mind telling us why you're no-longer a moderator?
>>

> My guess is Joe didn't see any need for his "position". Chris did what
> he wanted as the "Master Moderator" regardless if Joe was originally
> supposed to have control of the group. Joe wouldn't have acted in the
> way Chris did because Joe was trying to encourage community. And we all
> know Chris could give a rats ass about community. Would you stick around
> in light of that?
>
> Of course, I may have it all wrong... ;-)

Well, I guess you could call it "a basic difference of opinion"
As to which posts should be passed through to the newsgroup.

Given the strict structure as "test only" it will never have the social aspects that NTMM did.
Nor the creativity and innovation. It's a shame that there is no place now for folks interested
in "Multimedia techniques" to experiment and learn what *can* be done.

To quote a high level Moz guy :"We have a responsibility to support HTML composition,(since it's there)
but, no desire to promote it's use."

So there you have it: HTML composition will always remain difficult, even in the face of increased
usage. And users will use something else thinking the the Gecko's are incapable of doing what they want.

JoeS

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

Jay Garcia
On 28.04.2008 17:47, JoeS wrote:

> Given the strict structure as "test only" it will never have the social aspects that NTMM did.
> Nor the creativity and innovation. It's a shame that there is no place now for folks interested
> in "Multimedia techniques" to experiment and learn what *can* be done.

The cert renewal is in progress, slow but sure for secnews.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

JoeS wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 4/28/2008 8:51 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
>> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> would you mind telling us why you're no-longer a moderator?
>>>
>> My guess is Joe didn't see any need for his "position". Chris did what
>> he wanted as the "Master Moderator" regardless if Joe was originally
>> supposed to have control of the group. Joe wouldn't have acted in the
>> way Chris did because Joe was trying to encourage community. And we all
>> know Chris could give a rats ass about community. Would you stick around
>> in light of that?
>>
>> Of course, I may have it all wrong... ;-)
>>

> Well, I guess you could call it "a basic difference of opinion"
> As to which posts should be passed through to the newsgroup.
>
> Given the strict structure as "test only" it will never have the social aspects that NTMM did.
> Nor the creativity and innovation. It's a shame that there is no place now for folks interested
> in "Multimedia techniques" to experiment and learn what *can* be done.
>
> To quote a high level Moz guy :"We have a responsibility to support HTML composition,(since it's there)
> but, no desire to promote it's use."
>
> So there you have it: HTML composition will always remain difficult, even in the face of increased
> usage. And users will use something else thinking the the Gecko's are incapable of doing what they want.
>
> JoeS

thanks for being upfront with that.  I was just curious to
know why you left.

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

Daniel-257
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 28.04.2008 17:47, JoeS wrote:

Good to hear that, Jay, although, just as we cannot read the secnews
groups att, I guess no one can post to them, so there will not be heaps
of messages to catch up on, in any case.

Daniel

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

»Q«
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The cert renewal is in progress, slow but sure for secnews.

AIUI, the connection was encrypted in the first place to show off what
the Collabra server could do.  Has the possibility of just switching to
an unencrypted connection for all the groups been considered?

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

Jay Garcia
On 29.04.2008 13:37, »Q« wrote:

>> The cert renewal is in progress, slow but sure for secnews.
>
> AIUI, the connection was encrypted in the first place to show off what
> the Collabra server could do.  Has the possibility of just switching to
> an unencrypted connection for all the groups been considered?

Yes, considered, but we (Champs) wanted it to remain as-is.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

PhillipJones

You can always ask if its okay to do so over at annexcafe.phoenix.images
are temporarily.

you have to sign up for username and password and turn on
authentication. I've already talked to some folks and posted some images
their since the NTMM server  fell down.

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

»Q« wrote:
> Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The cert renewal is in progress, slow but sure for secnews.
>
> AIUI, the connection was encrypted in the first place to show off what
> the Collabra server could do.  Has the possibility of just switching to
> an unencrypted connection for all the groups been considered?

thanks for Hi-Jacking my thread.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 28.04.2008 17:47, JoeS wrote:

There are +'s and -'s for using that server.
You have to supply a real email address that can be authenticated.(Probably fine for regulars)
But might not work well for newbies, or folks who just might want to ask 1 or 2 questions.

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

JoeS-3
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 29.04.2008 13:37, »Q« wrote:

I think the encryption had a lot to do with keeping it relatively spam-free.

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

JoeS wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 29.04.2008 13:37, »Q« wrote:

I don't think so.  I think its because it never reached
google, and its not populated to usenet servers.

On 29.04.2008 16:44, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> The cert renewal is in progress, slow but sure for secnews.
>>
>> AIUI, the connection was encrypted in the first place to show off what
>> the Collabra server could do.  Has the possibility of just switching to
>> an unencrypted connection for all the groups been considered?
>
> thanks for Hi-Jacking my thread.

Hey!! I didn't will this thread to YOU !! You wanna buy it? ;-)

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

Jay Garcia

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

Jay Garcia
On 29.04.2008 17:08, JoeS wrote:

>>> AIUI, the connection was encrypted in the first place to show off what
>>> the Collabra server could do.  Has the possibility of just switching to
>>> an unencrypted connection for all the groups been considered?
>>
>> Yes, considered, but we (Champs) wanted it to remain as-is.
>>
> I think the encryption had a lot to do with keeping it relatively spam-free.

That also .. and it kept the trolls thinking twice prior to posting
because they were so easily tracked, some could care less .. like here
for instance.

On 29.04.2008 17:19, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> Yes, considered, but we (Champs) wanted it to remain as-is.
>>>
>> I think the encryption had a lot to do with keeping it relatively spam-free.
>
> I don't think so.  I think its because it never reached
> google, and its not populated to usenet servers.

Actually, spam was/is a major part of the decision to keep 563.

JoeS wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 28.04.2008 17:47, JoeS wrote:

Just offering as a stop gap while we wait six months for new cert to get
here for NTTM.

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

PhillipJones
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 29.04.2008 17:19, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

That's why all Moz newsgroups should use it as well. in all the time the
secnews server was active spam was about one piece per year. and That
was because it was forward by someone active on the list. (not
necessarily intentional though.

Re: Ping-Joe: not a moderator

Daniel-257
squaredancer wrote:

> On 29.04.2008 02:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> On 28.04.2008 17:47, JoeS wrote:

Are you having a go at me, reg??