Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

WaltS-3
[excerpt quote] Recently on FOX News former Senator Chris Dodd said (as
quoted on news site TechDirt), "Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for
support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully
who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask
me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then
don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake," [/quote]

More

http://tinyurl.com/7j7kglq

Register, sign the petition, have a voice in your government.

Thank you

--
Thunderbird Beta

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 22-01-2012 17:27 CET, WLS composed this enchanting statement:

> ".cut." [/quote]
>
> More
>
> <URL http://tinyurl.com/7j7kglq>
>
> Register, sign the petition, have a voice in your government.
>
> Thank you

Thanks, but which petition will give me a voice in my gov? ;-)
.

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

On 01/22/2012 11:43 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 22-01-2012 17:27 CET, WLS composed this enchanting statement:
>> ".cut." [/quote]
>>
>> More
>>
>> <URL http://tinyurl.com/7j7kglq>
>>
>> Register, sign the petition, have a voice in your government.
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> Thanks, but which petition will give me a voice in my gov? ;-)
> .

That depends on you, if you are not a citizen of the USA.

--
Thunderbird Beta

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

The Real Bev
On 01/22/2012 08:43 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 22-01-2012 17:27 CET, WLS composed this enchanting statement:
>>  ".cut." [/quote]
>>
>>  More
>>
>>  <URL http://tinyurl.com/7j7kglq>
>>
>>  Register, sign the petition, have a voice in your government.
>>
>>  Thank you
>>

> Thanks, but which petition will give me a voice in my gov? ;-)

Do you remember the Big Block of Cheese on West Wing?

Is it cynical to believe that the White House has set up this site to
deflect troublemakers to a place that provides the illusion of
participation and where their petitions can be shitcanned invisibly?

Not to mention taking names...

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Frank-32
On 1/22/2012 11:43 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 22-01-2012 17:27 CET, WLS composed this enchanting statement:
>> ".cut." [/quote]
>>
>> More
>>
>> <URL http://tinyurl.com/7j7kglq>
>>
>> Register, sign the petition, have a voice in your government.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
> Thanks, but which petition will give me a voice in my gov? ;-)
> .

no, but after you sign it you will be on their solicitation list for
campaign contributions ;)

On 01/22/2012 12:59 PM, Frank wrote:

> On 1/22/2012 11:43 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>> On 22-01-2012 17:27 CET, WLS composed this enchanting statement:
>>> ".cut." [/quote]
>>>
>>> More
>>>
>>> <URL http://tinyurl.com/7j7kglq>
>>>
>>> Register, sign the petition, have a voice in your government.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>> Thanks, but which petition will give me a voice in my gov? ;-)
>> .
>>
> no, but after you sign it you will be on their solicitation list for
> campaign contributions ;)

Would you rather have citizens contribute to campaigns, or
corporation/lobby bribes?

One thing I see this petition pointing out, is that citizens don't want
government run by corporations.

YMMV

On 01/22/2012 10:09 AM, WLS wrote:

> On 01/22/2012 12:59 PM, Frank wrote:
>>  On 1/22/2012 11:43 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>>  On 22-01-2012 17:27 CET, WLS composed this enchanting statement:

>>>  Thanks, but which petition will give me a voice in my gov? ;-)
>>>
>>  no, but after you sign it you will be on their solicitation list for
>>  campaign contributions ;)

That's why we have spam filters and recycle bins.

> Would you rather have citizens contribute to campaigns, or
> corporation/lobby bribes?

I don't think we get to choose.  I believe that any contribution of
fewer than 6 digits is regarded as petty cash and goes into the
coffee-and-donut fund for the volunteers, while the name of the donor is
put on the 'send email thanks and then ignore' list.

> One thing I see this petition pointing out, is that citizens don't want
> government run by corporations.

It doesn't seem like a violation of free speech that every campaign
contribution must arrive via personal check (corporations are 'persons')
for no more than $5,000 per person and that the donors be listed on a
central website.

A number of years back the vow-of-poverty monks and nuns at a local
Buddhist temple were being reimbursed for the checks they wrote for the
Dem candidate's campaign.  I THINK it was for Gore, but it doesn't
really matter.

At least that makes the bastards sweat for their bribes.

On 1/22/2012 1:09 PM, WLS wrote:

> On 01/22/2012 12:59 PM, Frank wrote:
>> On 1/22/2012 11:43 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>> On 22-01-2012 17:27 CET, WLS composed this enchanting statement:

>>> Thanks, but which petition will give me a voice in my gov? ;-)
>>> .
>>>
>> no, but after you sign it you will be on their solicitation list for
>> campaign contributions ;)
>

> Would you rather have citizens contribute to campaigns, or
> corporation/lobby bribes?
>
> One thing I see this petition pointing out, is that citizens don't want
> government run by corporations.
>
> YMMV

I agree, and we don't want corporations run by government.
I was just being facetious but the less money the government controls,
the less they control the rest of us.

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Ryan P.-2
On 1/22/2012 12:43 PM, Frank wrote:

> I agree, and we don't want corporations run by government.
> I was just being facetious but the less money the government controls,
> the less they control the rest of us.

I wish the "don't cut spending.. raise taxes instead" crowd would
understand that!

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 1/22/2012
8:27 AM:

> [excerpt quote] Recently on FOX News former Senator Chris Dodd said (as
> quoted on news site TechDirt), "Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for
> support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully
> who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask
> me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then
> don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake," [/quote]
>
> More
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7j7kglq
>
> Register, sign the petition, have a voice in your government.

Okay, I logged in and added my vote to the petition but I'm a little
nervous now.

Shouldn't they have a, you know, "Logout" link thingie?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Cy Burnot
The Real Bev has written on 1/22/2012 1:25 PM:

> A number of years back the vow-of-poverty monks and nuns at a local
> Buddhist temple were being reimbursed for the checks they wrote for the
> Dem candidate's campaign.

Proof???

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Cy Burnot
Ryan P. has written on 1/22/2012 1:57 PM:
> On 1/22/2012 12:43 PM, Frank wrote:
>
>> I agree, and we don't want corporations run by government.
>> I was just being facetious but the less money the government controls,
>> the less they control the rest of us.
>
> I wish the "don't cut spending.. raise taxes instead" crowd would
> understand that!

The vast majority of people -- including our non-Republican elected
officials -- are in favor of doing both.

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Cy Burnot graced us with on
1/22/2012 11:32 AM:
> The Real Bev has written on 1/22/2012 1:25 PM:
>> A number of years back the vow-of-poverty monks and nuns at a local
>> Buddhist temple were being reimbursed for the checks they wrote for the
>> Dem candidate's campaign.
>
> Proof???

REF: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,134858,00.html

[excerpt quote="
The Chinese Daily News reported that Vice President Al Gore attended an
April luncheon and fund raiser at a Buddhist temple in Hacienda Heights,
California, an event that offered the unusual (and highly improper)
spectacle of a tax-exempt religious institution appearing to endorse a
political party. After the lunch, a group of Asian businessmen
reportedly donated $140,000 to the D.N.C. Several contributions were
given in the names of monks and nuns, despite their vow of poverty. The
setup was apparently designed to ensure that the foreign donors' names
would not appear on D.N.C. lists. A woman named Man Ya Shih, who is
connected with a branch of the temple in Texas, told reporters that she
was approached at the fund raiser by a "Democratic activist" who gave
her $5,000 in small bills and asked her to write a check for that amount
to the D.N.C. Last week the committee offered to reimburse the temple
$15,000 for holding the fund raiser. But the party said it intended to
keep the $140,000.
" /]

prolly this?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Cy Burnot graced us with on
1/22/2012 11:34 AM:

> Ryan P. has written on 1/22/2012 1:57 PM:
>> On 1/22/2012 12:43 PM, Frank wrote:
>>
>>> I agree, and we don't want corporations run by government.
>>> I was just being facetious but the less money the government controls,
>>> the less they control the rest of us.
>> I wish the "don't cut spending.. raise taxes instead" crowd would
>> understand that!
>
> The vast majority of people -- including our non-Republican elected
> officials -- are in favor of doing both.

REF: http://ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html

That's not hard to believe when one considers that the bottom 50% pay
little or nothing in federal taxes and the lowest 20% actually pay a
negative amount.

I'm for taxing both extremes more, the rich and the poor. It's important
for everyone to have some skin the the system otherwise, to paraphrase
Keats, "the center cannot hold"

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Cy Burnot
Sailfish has written on 1/22/2012 2:37 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Cy Burnot graced us with on
> 1/22/2012 11:32 AM:
>> The Real Bev has written on 1/22/2012 1:25 PM:
>>> A number of years back the vow-of-poverty monks and nuns at a local
>>> Buddhist temple were being reimbursed for the checks they wrote for the
>>> Dem candidate's campaign.
>>
>> Proof???
>
> REF: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,134858,00.html
>
> [excerpt quote="
> The Chinese Daily News reported that Vice President Al Gore attended an
> April luncheon and fund raiser at a Buddhist temple in Hacienda Heights,
> California, an event that offered the unusual (and highly improper)
> spectacle of a tax-exempt religious institution appearing to endorse a
> political party. After the lunch, a group of Asian businessmen
> reportedly donated $140,000 to the D.N.C. Several contributions were
> given in the names of monks and nuns, despite their vow of poverty. The
> setup was apparently designed to ensure that the foreign donors' names
> would not appear on D.N.C. lists. A woman named Man Ya Shih, who is
> connected with a branch of the temple in Texas, told reporters that she
> was approached at the fund raiser by a "Democratic activist" who gave
> her $5,000 in small bills and asked her to write a check for that amount
> to the D.N.C. Last week the committee offered to reimburse the temple
> $15,000 for holding the fund raiser. But the party said it intended to
> keep the $140,000.
> " /]
>
> prolly this?

The Chinese Daily News? Really?

"Welcome to the leading Chinese Community Newspaper in Las Vegas.  We
are proud to present Las Vegas Chinese Daily News (LVCDN) serving Las
Vegas, Southern Nevada are and California.  We distribute to the local
Chinese Retail Store, Libraries, Supermarket, Restaurants and more at no
cost to our readers.  Our dedicated reporters bring you the latest local
events and news. "

Or maybe this:

"Contents of Chinese Daily News

"The editorials and contents of Chinese Daily News were originally
considered very hostile to the People's Republic of China.  However,
this view has changed rather drastically in the early 1990s when the
newspaper begun to increase its sections / pages to have much more news
coverage on mainland China by increasing the corresponding coverage from
the a mere single article to two pages in the main section. The rapid
shift to neutralism for its coverage on mainland China was originally in
part due to the attempt to obtain more readers among the recent Chinese
immigrants, whom mostly were consisted mainland Chinese. The shift was
further strengthened from mid-1990s in part due to the new huge wave of
the arrival of mainland Chinese immigrants to North America after the
mid-1990s."

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Cy Burnot
Sailfish has written on 1/22/2012 2:58 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Cy Burnot graced us with on
> 1/22/2012 11:34 AM:
>> Ryan P. has written on 1/22/2012 1:57 PM:

>>> I wish the "don't cut spending.. raise taxes instead" crowd would
>>> understand that!
>>
>> The vast majority of people -- including our non-Republican elected
>> officials -- are in favor of doing both.
>
> REF: http://ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html
>
> That's not hard to believe when one considers that the bottom 50% pay
> little or nothing in federal taxes and the lowest 20% actually pay a
> negative amount.

Do you know why? Because their incomes -- if any -- place them below the
poverty line.

> I'm for taxing both extremes more, the rich and the poor. It's important
> for everyone to have some skin the the system otherwise, to paraphrase
> Keats, "the center cannot hold"

The governor of NJ came to the soup kitchen a couple of years ago, to be
met by chants of "Where are the jobs?"

On 1/22/2012 6:39 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:

> Sailfish has written on 1/22/2012 2:58 PM:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Cy Burnot graced us with on
>> 1/22/2012 11:34 AM:
>>> Ryan P. has written on 1/22/2012 1:57 PM:

>>> The vast majority of people -- including our non-Republican elected
>>> officials -- are in favor of doing both.
>>
>> REF: http://ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html
>>
>> That's not hard to believe when one considers that the bottom 50% pay
>> little or nothing in federal taxes and the lowest 20% actually pay a
>> negative amount.
>
> Do you know why? Because their incomes -- if any -- place them below the
> poverty line.
>
>> I'm for taxing both extremes more, the rich and the poor. It's important
>> for everyone to have some skin the the system otherwise, to paraphrase
>> Keats, "the center cannot hold"
>
> The governor of NJ came to the soup kitchen a couple of years ago, to be
> met by chants of "Where are the jobs?"

A couple of years ago, Corzine?
He always looked to me like he belonged in a soup kitchen ;)

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

defaria
On 01/22/2012 10:09 AM, WLS wrote:
Would you rather have citizens contribute to campaigns, or corporation/lobby bribes?
But that recent SCOTUS ruling did not give corps the ability to contribute directly to campaigns...
One thing I see this petition pointing out, is that citizens don't want government run by corporations.
Non-squitur.
--
Andrew DeFaria
I just got a physical and asked the doctor, "How do I stand?" He said, "That's what puzzles me!"

On 01/22/2012 10:43 AM, Frank wrote:
I was just being facetious but the less money the government controls, the less they control the rest of us.
Government controls all money actually. They regulate the money supply. It's right there in the Constitution.
--
Andrew DeFaria
C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.

Re: Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery.

Cy Burnot
Frank has written on 1/22/2012 6:44 PM:

> On 1/22/2012 6:39 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>> Sailfish has written on 1/22/2012 2:58 PM:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Cy Burnot graced us with on
>>> 1/22/2012 11:34 AM:

>>> REF: http://ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html
>>>
>>> That's not hard to believe when one considers that the bottom 50% pay
>>> little or nothing in federal taxes and the lowest 20% actually pay a
>>> negative amount.
>>
>> Do you know why? Because their incomes -- if any -- place them below the
>> poverty line.
>>
>>> I'm for taxing both extremes more, the rich and the poor. It's important
>>> for everyone to have some skin the the system otherwise, to paraphrase
>>> Keats, "the center cannot hold"
>>
>> The governor of NJ came to the soup kitchen a couple of years ago, to be
>> met by chants of "Where are the jobs?"
>

> A couple of years ago, Corzine? He always looked to me like he belonged in a soup kitchen ;)

Are you deliberately missing the point?