Performance of frozen vs non-frozen objects

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Performance of frozen vs non-frozen objects

Mark Miller-2
At https://github.com/airbnb/javascript/issues/1619#issuecomment-353972202 I wrote:

I tried https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/3 and https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/28 on Chrome, FF, and Safari. I don't know why the bar charts are not updating. I am traveling and do not currently have access to a machine running Edge.
 
Could someone who has access to all four browsers, and knows how to get the displayed data to update, try these on all four? Thanks.


Please? The answer could prevent further damage being done by bad advice. Thanks.


--
  Cheers,
  --MarkM

_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Performance of frozen vs non-frozen objects

Boris Zbarsky
On 12/26/17 9:07 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
>     I tried https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/3 and
>     https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/28 on Chrome, FF, and
>     Safari. I don't know why the bar charts are not updating. I am
>     traveling and do not currently have access to a machine running Edge.
>
>     Could someone who has access to all four browsers, and knows how to
>     get the displayed data to update, try these on all four? Thanks.

It's pretty hard to run both Edge and Safari on the same setup.

That said, at least https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/3 is
being completely optimized away in Firefox for all of the testcases.  Or
at least running at the same speed as
<https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/30>; for some reason jsperf
is refusing to create a revision that has both the control and the
actual tests...

-Boris
_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Performance of frozen vs non-frozen objects

Isiah Meadows-2
Yeah...I've been having issues creating test cases, too. I feel one of
us should probably report it. (I don't have the time ATM, and it's not
something you can easily reproduce, so it might take a non-trivial
amount of time.)
-----

Isiah Meadows
[hidden email]

Looking for web consulting? Or a new website?
Send me an email and we can get started.
www.isiahmeadows.com


On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Boris Zbarsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/26/17 9:07 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
>>
>>     I tried https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/3 and
>>     https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/28 on Chrome, FF, and
>>     Safari. I don't know why the bar charts are not updating. I am
>>     traveling and do not currently have access to a machine running Edge.
>>
>>     Could someone who has access to all four browsers, and knows how to
>>     get the displayed data to update, try these on all four? Thanks.
>
>
> It's pretty hard to run both Edge and Safari on the same setup.
>
> That said, at least https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/3 is being
> completely optimized away in Firefox for all of the testcases.  Or at least
> running at the same speed as
> <https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/30>; for some reason jsperf is
> refusing to create a revision that has both the control and the actual
> tests...
>
> -Boris
> _______________________________________________
> es-discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Performance of frozen vs non-frozen objects

J Decker


On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Isiah Meadows <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah...I've been having issues creating test cases, too. I feel one of
us should probably report it. (I don't have the time ATM, and it's not
something you can easily reproduce, so it might take a non-trivial
amount of time.)
couldn't figure out where to report it.  Just gave up.   Finally got the mod I wanted to see done though   https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/36  using 'const' instead of var.  Results in the same performances anyway.

I did notice that often sealed and frozen objects in V8 are either slower than or the same speed as unfrozen objects.  (in near latest Node JS).
 
-----

Isiah Meadows
[hidden email]

Looking for web consulting? Or a new website?
Send me an email and we can get started.
www.isiahmeadows.com


On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Boris Zbarsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 12/26/17 9:07 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
>>
>>     I tried https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/3 and
>>     https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/28 on Chrome, FF, and
>>     Safari. I don't know why the bar charts are not updating. I am
>>     traveling and do not currently have access to a machine running Edge.
>>
>>     Could someone who has access to all four browsers, and knows how to
>>     get the displayed data to update, try these on all four? Thanks.
>
>
> It's pretty hard to run both Edge and Safari on the same setup.
>
> That said, at least https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/3 is being
> completely optimized away in Firefox for all of the testcases.  Or at least
> running at the same speed as
> <https://jsperf.com/freeze-vs-seal-vs-normal/30>; for some reason jsperf is
> refusing to create a revision that has both the control and the actual
> tests...
>
> -Boris
> _______________________________________________
> es-discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss


_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss