Passwords Corrupted??

David E. Ross-3
An item in Slashdot reports that Firefox password files are being
corrupted in PCs using Avast or AVG anti-virus applications.  The item
is at
<https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/06/14/1824243/avast-and-avg-are-causing-firefox-users-to-lose-saved-passwords>.
 Has anyone here actually seen this?

I use SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (the latest official release) as a browser but
prefer the user interface of Thunderbird 52.9.1 (an older release
because the latest breaks several extensions) for E-mail and newsgroups.
I also have AVG Anti-Virus Free 19.5.3093.  I have NOT seen this problem.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Donald Trump lied his way onto the Forbes 400 richest people list.
<https://tinyurl.com/yx9ebrqz>

Re: Passwords Corrupted??

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"David E. Ross" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> An item in Slashdot reports that Firefox password files are being
> corrupted in PCs using Avast or AVG anti-virus applications.  The item
> is at
> <https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/06/14/1824243/avast-and-avg-are-causing-firefox-users-to-lose-saved-passwords>.
>  Has anyone here actually seen this?
>
> I use SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (the latest official release) as a browser but
> prefer the user interface of Thunderbird 52.9.1 (an older release
> because the latest breaks several extensions) for E-mail and
> newsgroups. I also have AVG Anti-Virus Free 19.5.3093.  I have NOT
> seen this problem.

<https://www.ghacks.net/2019/06/14/if-you-lost-all-passwords-in-firefox-read-this/>
has a statement from AVG, which begins with:

  Some AVG users recently may have been unable to access their browser
  passwords when using Firefox. This only applied to those who
  purchased the AVG Password Protection feature

Re: Passwords Corrupted??

WaltS48-9
On 6/14/19 7:32 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> An item in Slashdot reports that Firefox password files are being
> corrupted in PCs using Avast or AVG anti-virus applications.  The item
> is at
> <https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/06/14/1824243/avast-and-avg-are-causing-firefox-users-to-lose-saved-passwords>.
>   Has anyone here actually seen this?
>
> I use SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (the latest official release) as a browser but
> prefer the user interface of Thunderbird 52.9.1 (an older release
> because the latest breaks several extensions) for E-mail and newsgroups.
> I also have AVG Anti-Virus Free 19.5.3093.  I have NOT seen this problem.

See
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/passwords-disappearing-avg-security-software>

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop