PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

Sailfish-4
REF:
https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/

[excerpt quote=\"
In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made a
worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup tool
CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month. The
software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner Avast—a
security company itself—had been tainted with a malware backdoor. The
incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced the threat of
so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations where trusted, widely
distributed software is actually infected by malicious code.
\" /]

--
Sailfish

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

rebro
Am 23.04.2018 um 20:34 schrieb Sailfish:

> REF:
> https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made a
> worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup tool
> CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month. The
> software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner Avast—a
> security company itself—had been tainted with a malware backdoor. The
> incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced the threat of
> so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations where trusted, widely
> distributed software is actually infected by malicious code.
> \" /]

Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

Christian Riechers-3
On 04/23/2018 08:34 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made a
> worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup tool
> CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month. The
> software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner Avast—a
> security company itself—had been tainted with a malware backdoor. The
> incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced the threat of
> so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations where trusted, widely
> distributed software is actually infected by malicious code.
> \" /]

Come on, that was news half a year ago.

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Christian Riechers graced us with
on 4/23/2018 1:03 PM:

> On 04/23/2018 08:34 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/
>>

>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made a
>> worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup tool
>> CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month. The
>> software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner Avast—a
>> security company itself—had been tainted with a malware backdoor. The
>> incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced the threat of
>> so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations where trusted, widely
>> distributed software is actually infected by malicious code.
>> \" /]
>
> Come on, that was news half a year ago.

Apparently, not to Wired.com?

--
Sailfish

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what rebro graced us with on 4/23/2018
12:36 PM:

> Am 23.04.2018 um 20:34 schrieb Sailfish:
>> REF:
>> https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/
>>

>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made a
>> worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup tool
>> CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month. The
>> software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner Avast—a
>> security company itself—had been tainted with a malware backdoor. The
>> incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced the threat of
>> so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations where trusted,
>> widely distributed software is actually infected by malicious code.
>> \" /]
>
> Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
> clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.

Sir, you doth ask too much from an excerpt! :-)

Am 24.04.2018 um 01:32 schrieb Sailfish:

> My bloviated meandering follows what rebro graced us with on 4/23/2018
> 12:36 PM:
>> Am 23.04.2018 um 20:34 schrieb Sailfish:
>>> REF:
>>> https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made
>>> a worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup
>>> tool CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month.
>>> The software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner
>>> Avast—a security company itself—had been tainted with a malware
>>> backdoor. The incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced
>>> the threat of so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations
>>> where trusted, widely distributed software is actually infected by
>>> malicious code.
>>> \" /]
>>
>> Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
>> clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.
>
> Sir, you doth ask too much from an excerpt! :-)

Expectation is the root of all heartache! (William Shakespeare) ;-)

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

tanstaafl-2
On Mon Apr 23 2018 15:36:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), rebro
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 23.04.2018 um 20:34 schrieb Sailfish:
>> REF:
>> https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/
>>

>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made a
>> worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup tool
>> CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month. The
>> software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner Avast—a
>> security company itself—had been tainted with a malware backdoor. The
>> incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced the threat of
>> so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations where trusted, widely
>> distributed software is actually infected by malicious code.
>> \" /]

> Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
> clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.

Or that it was 7+ MONTHS ago (in other words, old news).

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what rebro graced us with on 4/24/2018
4:52 AM:

> Am 24.04.2018 um 01:32 schrieb Sailfish:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what rebro graced us with on 4/23/2018
>> 12:36 PM:

>>> Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
>>> clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.
>>
>> Sir, you doth ask too much from an excerpt! :-)
>>

> Expectation is the root of all heartache! (William Shakespeare) ;-)
Touché

--
Sailfish

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

Ron Hunter
On 4/24/2018 9:36 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On Mon Apr 23 2018 15:36:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), rebro
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 23.04.2018 um 20:34 schrieb Sailfish:
>>> REF:
>>> https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made a
>>> worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup tool
>>> CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month. The
>>> software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner Avast—a
>>> security company itself—had been tainted with a malware backdoor. The
>>> incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced the threat of
>>> so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations where trusted, widely
>>> distributed software is actually infected by malicious code.
>>> \" /]
>
>> Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
>> clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.
>
> Or that it was 7+ MONTHS ago (in other words, old news).

I stopped updating this software after it changed after an update, and
began deleting more than I had set up in earlier versions.   The updated
version deleted some application registration information, rendering the
software unusable.  I reverted to the earlier version, and have stopped
updating it.  Shame on THEM!

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

Libor Striz
Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

> On 4/24/2018 9:36 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On Mon Apr 23 2018 15:36:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), rebro
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
>>> clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.
>>
>> Or that it was 7+ MONTHS ago (in other words, old news).
>>
> I stopped updating this software after it changed after an update, and
> began deleting more than I had set up in earlier versions.   The updated
> version deleted some application registration information, rendering the
> software unusable.  I reverted to the earlier version, and have stopped
> updating it.  Shame on THEM!

Knifes and CCleaner should be used by people who cannot use them
 properly.

Shame on the manufacturer of the knife that has cut you. It should
 not do it.

CC presents you data it is going to delete according to your
 specification.

 It was *your* decision to delete it.

If you decided to delete data you were not sure you can delete, it
 is your fault, you should not do it.

And if you were sure, it is your fault as well, you should know better.

Blaming themselves is often the last thing that comes into the
 mind of many people.

--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Am 25.04.2018 um 08:04 schrieb Ron Hunter:

> On 4/24/2018 9:36 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On Mon Apr 23 2018 15:36:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), rebro
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
>>> clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.
>>
>> Or that it was 7+ MONTHS ago (in other words, old news).
>>
> I stopped updating this software after it changed after an update, and
> began deleting more than I had set up in earlier versions.   The updated
> version deleted some application registration information, rendering the
> software unusable.  I reverted to the earlier version, and have stopped
> updating it.  Shame on THEM!

Sorry Ron, the updated version hasn't deleted anything without your
consent and - in the case of registry entries - without offering to
backup the registry before altering it. It is, of course, in your
responsibility to apply the suggested measures.
BTW, I have been constantly using CCleaner since it was first published
and never experienced such drastic and erratic changes from version to
version as you describe. There should have been some additional
complication in your case.