PDF in SM

Ray Davison
SM 272-10.0.11
I just clicked a link in a WEB site for a PDF file.  It offered to save
the file or open in Lucid.  I chose open.  The file opened in a window,
but the links within it do nothing.

In Win SM 2.16, the file opens in a tab, and the links work.

Where is the deficiency in eCS, SM, Lucid,???

Ray

Re: PDF in SM

Dave Yeo-3
Ray Davison wrote:
> SM 272-10.0.11
> I just clicked a link in a WEB site for a PDF file. It offered to save
> the file or open in Lucid. I chose open. The file opened in a window,
> but the links within it do nothing.
>
> In Win SM 2.16, the file opens in a tab, and the links work.
>
> Where is the deficiency in eCS, SM, Lucid,???

Probably a deficiency in Lucide. Newer SM uses native PDF viewer which
should handle links better, https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js.
Dave

Bob

Re: PDF in SM

Bob
I have read some pdf's with Lucide with links in them that worked. They
somehow talked to Firefox (not SM) which downloaded the linked item.
 From that it looks like Lucide works. Maybe it can't find SM. I have FF
setup in the ini files by the Internet Application Integration program.
Not that I think Lucide is a great program. Is the native pdf viewer
available in Firefox?

Bob

Re: PDF in SM

Steve Wendt
On 3/11/2013 12:27 PM, Bob wrote:

> Is the native pdf viewer available in Firefox?

A version of it is included with newer Gecko versions.  You can install
the addon version:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pdfjs/

But there are some OS/2-specific bugs (such as fonts).

Re: PDF in SM

Andreas Buchinger
Not sure if the other answers are sufficient for you so here is mine -

Ray Davison schrieb:
> SM 272-10.0.11
> I just clicked a link in a WEB site for a PDF file.  It offered to save
> the file or open in Lucid.
Standard behavior for all file formats which can not be handled by the
browser itself.

> I chose open.  The file opened in a window,
I think it opened Lucide and showed the .pdf. So far so I see no problem.

> but the links within it do nothing.
You mean the .pdf has embedded url links and when showing this .pdf in
Lucide and click on the link nothing happens, right? If the link is
correctly embedded into the .pdf it should open the browser to show the
defined url. Can't check at the moment but I'm pretty sure for me it
opens up a new browser instance (or new SM window) and shows the linked
page.

Beside security settings in some .pdf viewers which inhibit opening
external links (usually in some settings menu, sorry can't check at the
moment Lucide) there maybe a misconfiguration in your browser settings.
AFAIR the SET MOZ_NO_REMOTE in config.sys was a problem with me - have
to check at evening.

> In Win SM 2.16, the file opens in a tab,
I never understand why people want to see .pdfs in a 'some kind of'
browser tab. Maybe cause some not so spearheaded guy at MS or Adobe
thought IE needs such behavior. But beside others the usual .pdf viewer
accelerators do not work in a browser windows. This is no more than a
shabby substitute to a real .pdf viewer. Absolutely not usable when you
have to deal with more than a few simple .pdfs.

If you really like this behavior then unfortunately there's no real
solution for eCS. See Steves response about addon restrictions...

> and the links work.
With proper .pdfs and viewer settings the should work on eCS too. (Have
to check again.)

> Where is the deficiency in eCS, SM, Lucid,???
Most probably in your browser setup.

Regards,
Andi

> Ray

Re: PDF in SM

Ray Davison
Andreas Buchinger wrote:

>> Where is the deficiency in eCS, SM, Lucid,???
> Most probably in your browser setup.

The only browser setup I know of is in the profile.  All my SM - eCS and
Win - use the same set of profile files.  Would that not rule out setup
as causing the difference?

Ray

Re: PDF in SM

Dave Yeo-3
On 03/13/13 08:46 am, Ray Davison wrote:
> Andreas Buchinger wrote:
>
>>> Where is the deficiency in eCS, SM, Lucid,???
>> Most probably in your browser setup.
>
> The only browser setup I know of is in the profile. All my SM - eCS and
> Win - use the same set of profile files. Would that not rule out setup
> as causing the difference?

You need to set a default browser. eg use the internet application
integration program at Chuck Mckinnis's site,
https://sites.google.com/site/chuckmckinnis/os-2
Dave

Re: PDF in SM

Ray Davison
Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> Most probably in your browser setup.
>>
>> The only browser setup I know of is in the profile. All my SM - eCS and
>> Win - use the same set of profile files. Would that not rule out setup
>> as causing the difference?
>>

> You need to set a default browser. eg use the internet application
> integration program at Chuck Mckinnis's site,
> https://sites.google.com/site/chuckmckinnis/os-2

I use that for FF/TB.  What does it have to do with SM?

Ray

Re: PDF in SM

Dave Yeo-3
Ray Davison wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> The only browser setup I know of is in the profile. All my SM - eCS and
>>> Win - use the same set of profile files. Would that not rule out setup
>>> as causing the difference?
>>>

>> You need to set a default browser. eg use the internet application
>> integration program at Chuck Mckinnis's site,
>> https://sites.google.com/site/chuckmckinnis/os-2
>
> I use that for FF/TB. What does it have to do with SM?

You need to change your default browser from Firefox to SeaMonkey.
Lucide was probably trying to open Firefox which wasn't running. Mozilla
apps won't start unless the current directory is set to their program
directory.
Dave

Re: PDF in SM

Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Dave Yeo escribió:
> You need to change your default browser from Firefox to SeaMonkey. Lucide was
> probably trying to open Firefox which wasn't running. Mozilla apps won't start
> unless the current directory is set to their program directory.

Shouldn't Lucide be smart enough to pass on links to whatever browser it was
invoked from? This way it would work always w/o need to set different defaults
each time. Just an idea, or 'feature request' of sorts...

Regards,
Alfred.

Re: PDF in SM

Steve Wendt
On 3/14/2013 3:49 AM, Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:

> Shouldn't Lucide be smart enough to pass on links to whatever browser it
> was invoked from?

How would it know that?

Re: PDF in SM

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 3/14/2013 3:49 AM, Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't Lucide be smart enough to pass on links to whatever browser it
>> was invoked from?
>
> How would it know that?

By checking the parent PID. It would have to be more complicated as
Lucide might not have been started by a browser and the user might be
using an unknown browser. Much simpler just to use the system default.
Dave