PDF Files do not open

Nick-24
Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
open. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks so much
NIKO

Re: PDF Files do not open

Leonidas Jones
Nick wrote:
> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
> go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
> open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>
> Thanks so much
> NIKO

What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?

Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
page again.

Lee

Re: PDF Files do not open

Leonidas Jones
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Nick wrote:
>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
>> go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
>> open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>
>> Thanks so much
>> NIKO
>
> What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>
> Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
> memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
> acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
> page again.
>
> Lee

And I just noticed the crosspost.  Crossposting is contrary to the
posting etiquette in these groups.  There is no real need, since most
people who might answer such a question read most of the groups.

Lee

Re: PDF Files do not open

Nick-24
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Nick wrote:
>
>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
>> go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
>> open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>
>> Thanks so much
>> NIKO
>

> What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>
> Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
> memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
> acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
> page again.
>
> Lee
Mozilla Firefox Ver. 1.02,
Win 2K SP4
Adobe Acrobat V 7.03 (open in browser checked)

Thanks

Re: PDF Files do not open

Nick-24
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Nick wrote:
>
>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
>> go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
>> open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>
>> Thanks so much
>> NIKO
>

> What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>
> Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
> memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
> acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
> page again.
>
> Lee
Mozilla Firefox Ver. 1.02,
Win 2K SP4
Adobe Acrobat V 7.03 (open in browser checked)

Thanks

Re: PDF Files do not open

gwtc
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Nick wrote:
>
>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
>> go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
>> open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>
>> Thanks so much
>> NIKO
>

> What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>
> Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
> memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
> acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
> page again.
>
> Lee
If you're using the Acrobat Reader, also, use the Tab + ALT key and
make sure there isn't a hidden acrobat window asking if you want to
check for updates.  Sometimes that pop-up get pushed back from the
main acrobat window.

Re: PDF Files do not open

Mark Lloyd-2
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:53:37 -0400, Leonidas Jones <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Nick wrote:
>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
>> go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
>> open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>
>> Thanks so much
>> NIKO
>
>What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>
>Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
>memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
>acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
>page again.
>
>Lee

I think that's what was happening to be at one time. Adobe Reader 7.x
hasn't done that (or maybe it's Windows 2000 instead of 9x).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Re: PDF Files do not open

Christopher Jahn
Nick <[hidden email]> wrote in news:dj60ci$[hidden email]:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Nick wrote:
>>
>>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when
>>> I go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to
>>> not open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>>
>>> Thanks so much
>>> NIKO
>>

>> What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>>
>> Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
>> memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
>> acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try
>> the page again.
>>
>> Lee
> Mozilla Firefox Ver. 1.02,
> Win 2K SP4
> Adobe Acrobat V 7.03 (open in browser checked)

Open the Acrobat Uninstaller, and select "repair files" instead of
"remove program".

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

I just like to say quark, quark, quark, quark, quark, quark...

Re: PDF Files do not open

Leonidas Jones
Mark Lloyd wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:53:37 -0400, Leonidas Jones <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Nick wrote:
>>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
>>> go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
>>> open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>>
>>> Thanks so much
>>> NIKO
>> What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>>
>> Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
>> memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
>> acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
>> page again.
>>
>> Lee
>
> I think that's what was happening to be at one time. Adobe Reader 7.x
> hasn't done that (or maybe it's Windows 2000 instead of 9x).

NO, its Acrobat.  That's why I asked about version. Acrobat Reader 7.x
has fixed it.

The OP should see Chris and gwtc's responses for possible fixes.

Lee

Re: PDF Files do not open

Leonidas Jones
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:53:37 -0400, Leonidas Jones <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nick wrote:

snip

>> I think that's what was happening to be at one time. Adobe Reader 7.x
>> hasn't done that (or maybe it's Windows 2000 instead of 9x).
>
> NO, its Acrobat.  That's why I asked about version. Acrobat Reader 7.x
> has fixed it.
>
> The OP should see Chris and gwtc's responses for possible fixes.
>
> Lee

I just noticed the crosspost.  Crossposting is discouraged in this
group.  Look at the etiquette page linked in my sig for more information.

--
Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!  http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

Re: PDF Files do not open

Nick-24
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Mark Lloyd wrote:

> snip
>

>>> I think that's what was happening to be at one time. Adobe Reader 7.x
>>> hasn't done that (or maybe it's Windows 2000 instead of 9x).
>>

>> NO, its Acrobat.  That's why I asked about version. Acrobat Reader 7.x
>> has fixed it.
>>
>> The OP should see Chris and gwtc's responses for possible fixes.
>>
>> Lee
>

> I just noticed the crosspost.  Crossposting is discouraged in this
> group.  Look at the etiquette page linked in my sig for more information.

Oops, sorry. Wasn't sure where to post this.
I don't remember this happening prior to install of Acrobat Reader 7,
but it sure is happening now. I will look for the referenced responses
for help. Thanks
Niko

Re: PDF Files do not open

lon-5
Leonidas Jones proclaimed:

> Nick wrote:
>
>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when I
>> go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to not
>> open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>
>> Thanks so much
>> NIKO
>

> What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>
> Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
> memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
> acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
> page again.

   With version 7.mumble, the ability to tell it NOT to load as a startup
   has apparently disappeared.  You can still inhibit it with something
   like Spybot startup utility, but if auto updates are enabled in
   Acrobat, the startup appears to get reinstated.  Almost as annoying
   as Real's tkbell.exe

Re: PDF Files do not open

gwtc
Lon wrote:

> Leonidas Jones proclaimed:
>
>> Nick wrote:
>>
>>> Several websites I go to contain info in PDF format. Many times when
>>> I go to the PDF link, I get a blank white screen. The PDF seems to
>>> not open. Can anyone explain this to me?
>>>
>>> Thanks so much
>>> NIKO
>>

>> What browser and version, what OS, and what PDF reader and version?
>>
>> Older versions of Acrobat Reader have a nasty habit of sticking in
>> memory.  The next time this happens, CTRL+ALT+DEL, and see if
>> acroread.exe is still running.  If it is, kill the process and try the
>> page again.
>

>   With version 7.mumble, the ability to tell it NOT to load as a startup
>   has apparently disappeared.  You can still inhibit it with something
>   like Spybot startup utility, but if auto updates are enabled in
>   Acrobat, the startup appears to get reinstated.  Almost as annoying
>   as Real's tkbell.exe

tkbell.exe is part of the Real update features.  You can remove the
file realsched.exe, which is located in C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Real\Update_OB without any problems.  I have.  The newer version
of Real no longer has the tinkerbell problem but realsched.exe is
still there.