Override default icon in executable?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
Is there a way - without decompiling the resources and statically
replacing the icon in the executable - to override the default SM icon
for those few windows which call it? I'm currently using SkyPilot, and
every time that blasted ape on the boat shows up, it sticks out like a
sore thumb...

TIA

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Robert Kaiser
Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
> Is there a way - without decompiling the resources and statically
> replacing the icon in the executable - to override the default SM icon
> for those few windows which call it? I'm currently using SkyPilot, and
> every time that blasted ape on the boat shows up, it sticks out like a
> sore thumb...

The nightlies will have a new logo soon...

If you're on Linux, it's actually easy to override, on Windows, it's
impossible unless you build it yourself.

Robert Kaiser
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

James Ross
Robert Kaiser wrote:

> Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
>> Is there a way - without decompiling the resources and statically
>> replacing the icon in the executable - to override the default SM icon
>> for those few windows which call it? I'm currently using SkyPilot, and
>> every time that blasted ape on the boat shows up, it sticks out like a
>> sore thumb...
>
> The nightlies will have a new logo soon...
>
> If you're on Linux, it's actually easy to override, on Windows, it's
> impossible unless you build it yourself.

I call foul.

It's pathetically easy to override the window icons. You can override
any window with a ID by placing a file as:
   SeaMonkey Install Folder\chrome\icons\default\<window id>.ico

For windows without an ID, it uses 'default.ico'.

If you don't want to put a copy of your chosen icon for each ID that
doesn't already have an icon, you will need to replace the icon
resource, since that is how the Mozilla toolkit was set up (if the icon
file specified by the ID does not exist, it leaves it up to Windows to
decide on an icon - it should have used default.ico IMHO). Anyway,
replacing an icon resource in an EXE is really easy.

--
James Ross <[hidden email]>
ChatZilla Developer
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Stanimir Stamenkov-2
In reply to this post by Robert Kaiser
/Robert Kaiser/:
> Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
>
>> Is there a way - without decompiling the resources and statically
>> replacing the icon in the executable - to override the default SM icon
>> for those few windows which call it?
>
> If you're on Linux, it's actually easy to override, on Windows, it's
> impossible unless you build it yourself.

As far as I see Lewis' UA string shows OS/2 Warp 4.5 but on Windows
I use Resource Hacker <http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/> to
change the icon of the executable itself.

--
Stanimir
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Justin Wood (Callek)
In reply to this post by James Ross
James Ross wrote:

> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
>>> Is there a way - without decompiling the resources and statically
>>> replacing the icon in the executable - to override the default SM
>>> icon for those few windows which call it? I'm currently using
>>> SkyPilot, and every time that blasted ape on the boat shows up, it
>>> sticks out like a sore thumb...
>>
>> The nightlies will have a new logo soon...
>>
>> If you're on Linux, it's actually easy to override, on Windows, it's
>> impossible unless you build it yourself.
>
> I call foul.
>
> It's pathetically easy to override the window icons. You can override
> any window with a ID by placing a file as:
>   SeaMonkey Install Folder\chrome\icons\default\<window id>.ico
>
> For windows without an ID, it uses 'default.ico'.
>
> If you don't want to put a copy of your chosen icon for each ID that
> doesn't already have an icon, you will need to replace the icon
> resource, since that is how the Mozilla toolkit was set up (if the icon
> file specified by the ID does not exist, it leaves it up to Windows to
> decide on an icon - it should have used default.ico IMHO). Anyway,
> replacing an icon resource in an EXE is really easy.
>

Amidst all this, I think the original thread author was talking about
the throbber and not the window icon, I may be wrong though.

~Justin Wood (Callek)
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
In reply to this post by Robert Kaiser
On 11/21/2005 04:09 am, Robert Kaiser thus wrote :

> Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
>> Is there a way - without decompiling the resources and statically
>> replacing the icon in the executable - to override the default SM icon
>> for those few windows which call it? I'm currently using SkyPilot, and
>> every time that blasted ape on the boat shows up, it sticks out like a
>> sore thumb...
>
> The nightlies will have a new logo soon...
>
> If you're on Linux, it's actually easy to override, on Windows, it's
> impossible unless you build it yourself.
>
> Robert Kaiser

Thanks, Robert. However, on Linux this doesn't override, either (note
the "X" in Profile Manager, as an example).

In any event, I'm running OS/2, as Stanimir has rightly pointed out.
And, yes, as he has also mentioned, I can indeed extract the resources
from the executable and recompile, but my question was specifically
whether there was an easier (read: non-static; I don't want to have to
do this every blasted time I download a nightly) way of overriding the
resource.

Even if the new nightlies will have the official icon, I use SkyPilot as
my theme, with the SkyPilot icon pack (icons converted from Win32 to
OS/2), and I would like my themed icons (either default.ico or
main-window.ico) to show up for those windows which require a window
control in the upper left and which now revert to the resource in the exe.

Thanks again for any input! ;-)

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
In reply to this post by James Ross
On 11/21/2005 06:35 am, James Ross thus wrote :

> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
>>> Is there a way - without decompiling the resources and statically
>>> replacing the icon in the executable - to override the default SM
>>> icon for those few windows which call it? I'm currently using
>>> SkyPilot, and every time that blasted ape on the boat shows up, it
>>> sticks out like a sore thumb...
>>
>> The nightlies will have a new logo soon...
>>
>> If you're on Linux, it's actually easy to override, on Windows, it's
>> impossible unless you build it yourself.
>
> I call foul.
>
> It's pathetically easy to override the window icons. You can override
> any window with a ID by placing a file as:
>   SeaMonkey Install Folder\chrome\icons\default\<window id>.ico
>
> For windows without an ID, it uses 'default.ico'.
>
Thanks, James, but that doesn't work on OS/2...

> If you don't want to put a copy of your chosen icon for each ID that
> doesn't already have an icon, you will need to replace the icon
> resource, since that is how the Mozilla toolkit was set up (if the icon
> file specified by the ID does not exist, it leaves it up to Windows to
> decide on an icon - it should have used default.ico IMHO). Anyway,
> replacing an icon resource in an EXE is really easy.
>
As I've just replied to Robert, I don't want to have to recompile the
resources every time I pull a nightly down, and besides, using themed
icons, even the new and improved SM logo probably won't complement
SkyPilot's theme.

I do agree that it should pull default.ico no matter what, and that's
really what I'm looking to do.

Thanks again!

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
In reply to this post by Justin Wood (Callek)
On 11/22/2005 01:09 am, Justin Wood (Callek) thus wrote :

<snip>

> Amidst all this, I think the original thread author was talking about
> the throbber and not the window icon, I may be wrong though.
>
> ~Justin Wood (Callek)

Nope, sorry, Justin. I was referring to the window control icon in the
upper left, not the throbber, which is part of the theme. ;-)

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
In reply to this post by Stanimir Stamenkov-2
On 11/21/2005 04:08 pm, Stanimir Stamenkov thus wrote :

<snip>

> As far as I see Lewis' UA string shows OS/2 Warp 4.5 but on Windows I
> use Resource Hacker <http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/> to change
> the icon of the executable itself.
>
Thanks, Stanimir. Yes, I have the utilities and the know-how to hack the
resources in the exe; I just want to not have to do that every time I
install a new nightly. James is right: SeaMonkey should pull default.ico
for those windows and only fall back on the compiled resource if
default.ico is not available.

Should I open a bug, do you think? (Sorry to suggest it; I know we have
enough bugs to triage as it is...)

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Robert Kaiser
In reply to this post by Lewis Rosenthal
Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
> Thanks, Robert. However, on Linux this doesn't override, either (note
> the "X" in Profile Manager, as an example).

On Linux (gtk2 that is), default.xpm in the right place works like a
charm, for me and others ;-)

> In any event, I'm running OS/2, as Stanimir has rightly pointed out.
> And, yes, as he has also mentioned, I can indeed extract the resources
> from the executable and recompile, but my question was specifically
> whether there was an easier (read: non-static; I don't want to have to
> do this every blasted time I download a nightly) way of overriding the
> resource.

Well, if OS/2 stuff has a bug there in your opinion, file a bug against
the OS/2 port. Maybe you still find someone who might do a patch - or
you do it yourself ;-)

Greetings,

Robert Kaiser
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/24/2005 09:46 am, Robert Kaiser thus wrote :
> Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
>> Thanks, Robert. However, on Linux this doesn't override, either (note
>> the "X" in Profile Manager, as an example).
>
> On Linux (gtk2 that is), default.xpm in the right place works like a
> charm, for me and others ;-)
>
Really? I did an install of the November 10 nightly on SuSE 10 (gtk2),
and it did not show the icon, even when copying it to
seamonkey/icons/default.xpm. (I get the monkey icon in Profile Manager,
not the "X" right now.) Perhaps this change (fix) came in after the fact
(I just pulled down what appears to be the same version as your UA
string to install - as well as today's 1.5a - but I'm stuck running an
apt-get for libpangocairo, and won't have that finished for a few more
minutes).

Meanwhile, I haven't tried it with the OS/2 build of 1.0b, only on 1.1a
and now, 1.5a. I'll check that out next.

Robert, when you say, "in the right place," I'm assuming you mean to
copy it to seamonkey/icons, and not just leave default.xpm in
seamonkey/chrome/icons/default?

>> In any event, I'm running OS/2, as Stanimir has rightly pointed out.
>> And, yes, as he has also mentioned, I can indeed extract the resources
>> from the executable and recompile, but my question was specifically
>> whether there was an easier (read: non-static; I don't want to have to
>> do this every blasted time I download a nightly) way of overriding the
>> resource.
>
> Well, if OS/2 stuff has a bug there in your opinion, file a bug against
> the OS/2 port.

Well put, and that's what I'm trying to determine. ;-)

> Maybe you still find someone who might do a patch - or
> you do it yourself ;-)
>
I can find a few guys who would do the patch, but I happen to like your
suggestion better...and it would give me a good excuse to hack some code
again.

Thanks!

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
Quick follow-up:

Profile Manager (using OS/2's 1.5a 2005112405 build) does indeed call
profileWindow.ico. This may have been confused in my last email.
However, there are yet other windows which do not pull a default icon
besides the one compiled in the exe, such as (not an all-inclusive list):

Preferences
Search (address book & mailnews)
Password Manager
Form Manager (editor & sites)

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Jeff Beal
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> Quick follow-up:
>
> Profile Manager (using OS/2's 1.5a 2005112405 build) does indeed call
> profileWindow.ico. This may have been confused in my last email.
> However, there are yet other windows which do not pull a default icon
> besides the one compiled in the exe, such as (not an all-inclusive list):
>
> Preferences
> Search (address book & mailnews)
> Password Manager
> Form Manager (editor & sites)
>

I just checked these windows on my Windows XP machine (using nightly
build of SeaMonkey from 11/23/05).  The Preferences, Password Manager,
and Form Manager windows do not have *any* icon in the upper left-hand
corner.  The two search screens have the ugly monkey icon instead of my
customized default.ico.

--
Jeff Beal
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/25/2005 03:54 pm, Jeff Beal thus wrote :

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>> Quick follow-up:
>>
>> Profile Manager (using OS/2's 1.5a 2005112405 build) does indeed call
>> profileWindow.ico. This may have been confused in my last email.
>> However, there are yet other windows which do not pull a default icon
>> besides the one compiled in the exe, such as (not an all-inclusive list):
>>
>> Preferences
>> Search (address book & mailnews)
>> Password Manager
>> Form Manager (editor & sites)
>>
>
> I just checked these windows on my Windows XP machine (using nightly
> build of SeaMonkey from 11/23/05).  The Preferences, Password Manager,
> and Form Manager windows do not have *any* icon in the upper left-hand
> corner.  The two search screens have the ugly monkey icon instead of my
> customized default.ico.
>
Yes, on some platforms the window icon isn't necessary. On OS/2, as an
example, there were some issues encountered when minimizing some of
these windows which did not have icons, so Rich Walsh checked them in
(calls to the default one) for our (OS/2) builds. Evidently, on Win32,
those windows you mention don't require icons.

Thanks for confirming those other two, Jeff.

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Robert Kaiser
In reply to this post by Lewis Rosenthal
Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
> Robert, when you say, "in the right place," I'm assuming you mean to
> copy it to seamonkey/icons, and not just leave default.xpm in
> seamonkey/chrome/icons/default?

Actually, the seamonkey/chrome/icons/default location works fine for me
here... Not that we have default.xpm _and_ default16.xpm there, though
I'm not sure if default16.xpm is really used by gtk...

Robert Kaiser
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Override default icon in executable?

Lewis Rosenthal
On 11/28/2005 03:11 pm, Robert Kaiser thus wrote :
> Lewis Rosenthal schrieb:
>> Robert, when you say, "in the right place," I'm assuming you mean to
>> copy it to seamonkey/icons, and not just leave default.xpm in
>> seamonkey/chrome/icons/default?
>
> Actually, the seamonkey/chrome/icons/default location works fine for me
> here... Not that we have default.xpm _and_ default16.xpm there, though
> I'm not sure if default16.xpm is really used by gtk...
>
Thanks, Robert. I'm going to grab a 1.0b nightly (I see you're using
20051120) and see how it works.

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey