Optimiser for cable connection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Optimiser for cable connection

Ken-30
Hi guys.  Haven't posted here before.  I've the Mozilla Suite (though I
use Nvu 1.0 to publish my webpage) and Windows 98SE.

At the weekend I switched to cable where previously I had a dial-up
connection (and a dedicated dial-up line).  Practical speed-up of
webpages is hardly noticeable.  A computers-savvy friend did a test
download and it clocked just 15KB a sec; he said the download speed
should be about 10x faster.  However, my cable provider (Optus, here in
Australia) says that the actual connection is fine, so it must be a
computer- or software-related problem, and recommended I try an 'optimiser'.

Please, any suggestions?  (I may cross-post this to one or two other
Mozilla groups, and perhaps to a Windows 98 group.)

Thanks - Ken
_______________________________________________
support-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Optimiser for cable connection

Lloyd Budd-3
On 3/8/06, Ken <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys.  Haven't posted here before.  I've the Mozilla Suite (though I
use Nvu 1.0 to publish my webpage) and Windows 98SE.

At the weekend I switched to cable where previously I had a dial-up
connection (and a dedicated dial-up line).  Practical speed-up of
webpages is hardly noticeable.  A computers-savvy friend did a test
download and it clocked just 15KB a sec; he said the download speed
should be about 10x faster.  However, my cable provider (Optus, here in
Australia) says that the actual connection is fine, so it must be a
computer- or software-related problem, and recommended I try an 'optimiser'.

Please, any suggestions?  (I may cross-post this to one or two other
Mozilla groups, and perhaps to a Windows 98 group.)

 
Of course that is what the cable company will tell you ;-).

How is the download speed with concurrent downloads. If each get the 15 KB, some Firefox (likely in the suite as well) optimizations may help. See
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/optimization/speed-up-firefox-030871.php

My guess is still that the cable company is yanking you around.

--
Peace be in you,
Lloyd D Budd
http://www.foolswisdom.com/~lloyd/
_______________________________________________
support-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Optimiser for cable connection

Gudmund Areskoug-4
In reply to this post by Ken-30
Ken wrote:

> Hi guys.  Haven't posted here before.  I've the Mozilla Suite (though I
> use Nvu 1.0 to publish my webpage) and Windows 98SE.
>
> At the weekend I switched to cable where previously I had a dial-up
> connection (and a dedicated dial-up line).  Practical speed-up of
> webpages is hardly noticeable.  A computers-savvy friend did a test
> download and it clocked just 15KB a sec; he said the download speed
> should be about 10x faster.  However, my cable provider (Optus, here in
> Australia) says that the actual connection is fine, so it must be a
> computer- or software-related problem, and recommended I try an
> 'optimiser'.
>
> Please, any suggestions?  (I may cross-post this to one or two other
> Mozilla groups, and perhaps to a Windows 98 group.)
>
> Thanks - Ken

Just a thought. If you want to check your connections speeds, you might
try this tool:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tptest/

(Some credentials for the tool, in case you want:
http://www.pts.se/Nyheter/pressmeddelande.asp?Sectionid=&Itemid=5542&Languageid=SE=
)

BR,
Gudmund
_______________________________________________
support-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Optimiser for cable connection

Jay Garcia
In reply to this post by Ken-30
On 08.03.2006 11:37, [hidden email] wrote:

 --- Original Message ---

> On 3/8/06, Ken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys.  Haven't posted here before.  I've the Mozilla Suite (though I
>> use Nvu 1.0 to publish my webpage) and Windows 98SE.
>>
>> At the weekend I switched to cable where previously I had a dial-up
>> connection (and a dedicated dial-up line).  Practical speed-up of
>> webpages is hardly noticeable.  A computers-savvy friend did a test
>> download and it clocked just 15KB a sec; he said the download speed
>> should be about 10x faster.  However, my cable provider (Optus, here in
>> Australia) says that the actual connection is fine, so it must be a
>> computer- or software-related problem, and recommended I try an
>> 'optimiser'.
>>
>> Please, any suggestions?  (I may cross-post this to one or two other
>> Mozilla groups, and perhaps to a Windows 98 group.)
>
>
>
> Of course that is what the cable company will tell you ;-).
>
> How is the download speed with concurrent downloads. If each get the 15 KB,
> some Firefox (likely in the suite as well) optimizations may help. See
> http://www.lifehacker.com/software/optimization/speed-up-firefox-030871.php
>
> My guess is still that the cable company is yanking you around.
>
> --
> Peace be in you,
> Lloyd D Budd
> http://www.foolswisdom.com/~lloyd/
>

His provider is not telling him that 15kb is ok but rather the
connection itself is ok.

What he needs to do is to disable the dialup via control-panel internet
options in the connection tab "Never Dial a Connection".

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
_______________________________________________
support-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-webtools
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Optimiser for cable connection

Ken-30
In reply to this post by Gudmund Areskoug-4
Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>
>>Hi guys.  Haven't posted here before.  I've the Mozilla Suite (though I
>>use Nvu 1.0 to publish my webpage) and Windows 98SE.
>>
>>At the weekend I switched to cable where previously I had a dial-up
>>connection (and a dedicated dial-up line).  Practical speed-up of
>>webpages is hardly noticeable.  A computers-savvy friend did a test
>>download and it clocked just 15KB a sec; he said the download speed
>>should be about 10x faster.  However, my cable provider (Optus, here in
>>Australia) says that the actual connection is fine, so it must be a
>>computer- or software-related problem, and recommended I try an
>>'optimiser'.
>>
>>Please, any suggestions?  (I may cross-post this to one or two other
>>Mozilla groups, and perhaps to a Windows 98 group.)
>>
>>Thanks - Ken
>
>
> Just a thought. If you want to check your connections speeds, you might
> try this tool:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tptest/
>
> (Some credentials for the tool, in case you want:
> http://www.pts.se/Nyheter/pressmeddelande.asp?Sectionid=&Itemid=5542&Languageid=SE=
> )
>
> BR,
> Gudmund

Thanks guys.  I used a script recommended on a Windows 98 group to
re-set some settings, and speed seems right now.

Cheers - Ken
_______________________________________________
support-webtools mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/support-webtools