Opening New Tabs?

Carl Gehr-2
I'm sure this is very basic, but I am obviously missing something.  I am
running Peter's unofficial build:
> Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060910 SeaMonkey/1.0.5

If I have a browser window open and only one tab so with the preferences
set to "Hide tab bar if only one," there is no tab showing. I would now
like to open a new tab to view a new page.  There is no icon [it is not
there unless there is at least one tab showing], drop-down, menu
item,... that I can find to cause this to happen.

Theoretically, if I select a bookmark, I thought that the preferences
setting to open a new tab would do this.  But, it does not happen.  The
new page just replaces the existing page in whatever tab is currently
selected.  If there is only one tab, that's where it goes.

TIA,
Carl

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Steve Wendt
Carl Gehr wrote:

> If I have a browser window open and only one tab so with the preferences
> set to "Hide tab bar if only one," there is no tab showing. I would now
> like to open a new tab to view a new page.

Press Ctrl-T.  Or, if you like clicking around a lot,
File->New->Navigator Tab.  Other options include Ctrl+Enter to open a
URL in a new tab, middle-clicking on a link to open a new tab, etc.

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Carl Gehr-2
Steve Wendt wrote:
> Carl Gehr wrote:
>
>> If I have a browser window open and only one tab so with the
>> preferences set to "Hide tab bar if only one," there is no tab
>> showing. I would now like to open a new tab to view a new page.
>
> Press Ctrl-T.  Or, if you like clicking around a lot,
> File->New->Navigator Tab.  Other options include Ctrl+Enter to open a
> URL in a new tab, middle-clicking on a link to open a new tab, etc.

Ah ha!!!!  It was the Ctrl-T [hidden behind the 'New' under 'File'(?)]
that I could not find.  I would have expected it to be found under
'View' rather than 'File'...

Thanks!
Carl

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Brendan McCullough
Carl Gehr wrote:

> I'm sure this is very basic, but I am obviously missing something.  I am
> running Peter's unofficial build:
>> Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060910
>> SeaMonkey/1.0.5
>
> If I have a browser window open and only one tab so with the preferences
> set to "Hide tab bar if only one," there is no tab showing. I would now
> like to open a new tab to view a new page.  There is no icon [it is not
> there unless there is at least one tab showing], drop-down, menu
> item,... that I can find to cause this to happen.
>
> Theoretically, if I select a bookmark, I thought that the preferences
> setting to open a new tab would do this.  But, it does not happen.  The
> new page just replaces the existing page in whatever tab is currently
> selected.  If there is only one tab, that's where it goes.
>
> TIA,
> Carl

Multizilla/googlebar offers an icon to open a new tab.

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Alex Taylor
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:52:11 -0400, Carl Gehr
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah ha!!!!  It was the Ctrl-T [hidden behind the 'New' under 'File'(?)]
> that I could not find.  I would have expected it to be found under
> 'View' rather than 'File'...

Yes, I'm afraid SeaMonkey's (and Mozilla's before it) menu layout is
pretty unintuitive.  Another example that annoys me is having the
configuration dialog under "View" (general program configuration is a
task, not a visual or interface element).  This is one of the very few UI
things that I think Firefox actually does better.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Steve Wendt
Alex Taylor wrote:

> Another example that annoys me is having the
> configuration dialog under "View" (general program configuration is a
> task, not a visual or interface element).

Huh?  Do you mean Edit->Preferences?  It sounds logical to me.

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Alex Taylor
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:21:17 -0700, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Another example that annoys me is having the
>> configuration dialog under "View" (general program configuration is a
>> task, not a visual or interface element).
>
> Huh?  Do you mean Edit->Preferences?  It sounds logical to me.

Sorry, got my lines crossed there.  I meant the "Edit" menu, and it
doesn't belong there, either.  "Edit" is for EDITING tasks, which is a
concept inherent to document content.  Program configuration is not an
editing task; it has nothing to do with the content of the current page.

Every damn time I want to reconfigure SeaMonkey, I end up hunting around
through multiple menus before remembering that it's in such a nonintuitive
place.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Andy Willis-2
Alex Taylor wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:21:17 -0700, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Another example that annoys me is having the
>>> configuration dialog under "View" (general program configuration is a
>>> task, not a visual or interface element).
>> Huh?  Do you mean Edit->Preferences?  It sounds logical to me.
>
> Sorry, got my lines crossed there.  I meant the "Edit" menu, and it
> doesn't belong there, either.  "Edit" is for EDITING tasks, which is a
> concept inherent to document content.  Program configuration is not an
> editing task; it has nothing to do with the content of the current page.
>
> Every damn time I want to reconfigure SeaMonkey, I end up hunting around
> through multiple menus before remembering that it's in such a nonintuitive
> place.

I think it is a good place... afterall, I am wanting to Edit the
Preferences generally when I open it.  It could go under Tools but
that seems like a bad place for it.
Andy

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Felix Miata-2
On 06/10/23 09:24 (GMT-0500) Alex Taylor apparently typed:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:21:17 -0700, Steve Wendt wrote:

>> Huh?  Do you mean Edit->Preferences?  It sounds logical to me.

> Sorry, got my lines crossed there.  I meant the "Edit" menu, and it
> doesn't belong there, either.  "Edit" is for EDITING tasks, which is a
> concept inherent to document content.  Program configuration is not an
> editing task; it has nothing to do with the content of the current page.

> Every damn time I want to reconfigure SeaMonkey, I end up hunting around
> through multiple menus before remembering that it's in such a nonintuitive
> place.

Editing is a common description of changing something text based, which is
what preferences mostly are.

Netscape 3 had an Options menu. Netscape 4, try to reduce the number of main
menu items, dropped that, and stuck prefs in the Edit menu. Mozilla kept
that until Firefox happened, when for windoz, and consequently OS/2, which
follows windoz for most philosophical descisions, prefs were moved to a
Tools menu. On Mac and Linux prefs are still under Edit, even though they
too have a Tools menu. SeaMonkey isn't Firefox, it's Mozilla, so it's still
where Netscape 4 put it.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped." Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Alex Taylor
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 00:14:10 -0400, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry, got my lines crossed there.  I meant the "Edit" menu, and it
>> doesn't belong there, either.  "Edit" is for EDITING tasks, which is a
>> concept inherent to document content.  Program configuration is not an
>> editing task; it has nothing to do with the content of the current page.
>
> Editing is a common description of changing something text based, which is
> what preferences mostly are.

What?  Preferences refer to functionality, not text.

> Netscape 3 had an Options menu. Netscape 4, try to reduce the number of main
> menu items, dropped that, and stuck prefs in the Edit menu. Mozilla kept
> that until Firefox happened, when for windoz, and consequently OS/2, which
> follows windoz for most philosophical descisions, prefs were moved to a
> Tools menu. On Mac and Linux prefs are still under Edit, even though they
> too have a Tools menu. SeaMonkey isn't Firefox, it's Mozilla, so it's still
> where Netscape 4 put it.

Which, I maintain, is a stupid and unintuitive place for it.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

Re: Opening New Tabs?

Alex Taylor
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:40:18 -0600, Andy Willis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Edit" is for EDITING tasks, which is a concept inherent to document
>> content.  Program configuration is not an editing task; it has nothing
>> to do with the content of the current page.
>
> I think it is a good place... afterall, I am wanting to Edit the
> Preferences generally when I open it.  It could go under Tools but
> that seems like a bad place for it.

You DON'T "edit" preferences, though, because "editing" inherently refers
to _content_.  "Tools" is actually a better place for it, although still
not perfect.  "File" would make more sense: it's not file-related either,
but by long convention on almost all PC platforms, the "File" menu has
evolved to cover the application itself.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

Right click to open link in new tab in FF sometimes makes original tab change to the new tab URL

Karen Roberts

Frequently but not always, when I right click on a link in an existing
tab to open the link in a new tab in FF (v17 and older versions), the
original tab also opens the new tab URL, so I end up with two tabs
showing the same URL. Is there some setting I should change to avoid
this? It's just annoying.

Thanks,

Karen

Re: Right click to open link in new tab in FF sometimes makes original tab change to the new tab URL

Karen Roberts
Sorry, was trying to make this a new topic, TB17 newsreader has me confused.

Karen

On 08/09/14 10:14 am, Karen Roberts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Frequently but not always, when I right click on a link in an existing
> tab to open the link in a new tab in FF (v17 and older versions), the
> original tab also opens the new tab URL, so I end up with two tabs
> showing the same URL. Is there some setting I should change to avoid
> this? It's just annoying.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karen

Re: Right click to open link in new tab in FF sometimes makes original tab change to the new tab URL

Dave Yeo-3
Karen Roberts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Frequently but not always, when I right click on a link in an existing
> tab to open the link in a new tab in FF (v17 and older versions), the
> original tab also opens the new tab URL, so I end up with two tabs
> showing the same URL. Is there some setting I should change to avoid
> this? It's just annoying.

It shouldn't do that, does it do it if you middle click or ctrl-click?
Tried with a new profile? Looked at about:support to see if any
Important Preferences have been modified that might affect this?
Dave
ps it does show as a new topic here

Re: Right click to open link in new tab in FF sometimes makes original tab change to the new tab URL

Karen Roberts
Hi Dave,

I don't have a middle button on my mouse, but I tried ctrl-click, and it
does not seem to do it then. I haven't tried with a new profile.

I'm not sure how I would know what in about:support would affect this,
here are all that mention tabs,

browser.tabs.loadInBackground false
browser.tabs.onTop false
browser.tabs.warnOnClose false

Thanks,
Karen

Karen Roberts wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I don't have a middle button on my mouse, but I tried ctrl-click, and it
> does not seem to do it then. I haven't tried with a new profile.

Well it's one workaround. I hated it when the middle button broke on a
previous mouse which I mostly used for opening new tabs. Really like the
mouse wheel as well.

> I'm not sure how I would know what in about:support would affect this,
> here are all that mention tabs,
>
> browser.tabs.loadInBackground    false
> browser.tabs.onTop        false
> browser.tabs.warnOnClose    false

Doubt that it'll help but you could try changing the first 2 in
about:config and then later reverting them. I've seen weird errors get
fixed by changing preferences before.
Dave

Bob

Re: Right click to open link in new tab in FF sometimes makes original tab change to the new tab URL

Bob
I have this problem in the v24 beta. It doesn't happen all the time so I haven't
put any effort into solving it. I have tentatively put it down to some kind of
sticky button problem with the mouse.

Bob