OpenPGP Encryption for Thunderbird

David E. Ross-3
I installed Gnu Privacy Guard for Windows (Gpg4win) from
<http://www.gpg4win.org/> and the Enigmail 1.6 extention from
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/>.

I already have public and private keyrings for PGP.  How can I get
Gpg4win and Enigmail to use the same keyrings so that I do not have to
maintain two redundant keyrings.

Yes, I know this might be a Gpg4win question.  I will also ask at
alt.security.pgp and comp.security.pgp and possibly elsewhere.  However,
I thought someone who uses Thunderbird with Enigmail might have the
answer.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam, flames, and trolling from that source.

Re: OpenPGP Encryption for Thunderbird

David E. Ross-3
On 4/17/2014 7:27 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> I installed Gnu Privacy Guard for Windows (Gpg4win) from
> <http://www.gpg4win.org/> and the Enigmail 1.6 extention from
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/>.
>
> I already have public and private keyrings for PGP.  How can I get
> Gpg4win and Enigmail to use the same keyrings so that I do not have to
> maintain two redundant keyrings.
>
> Yes, I know this might be a Gpg4win question.  I will also ask at
> alt.security.pgp and comp.security.pgp and possibly elsewhere.  However,
> I thought someone who uses Thunderbird with Enigmail might have the
> answer.

Actually, it is comp.security.pgp.discuss, not comp.security.pgp.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam, flames, and trolling from that source.

Re: OpenPGP Encryption for Thunderbird

Onno Ekker-2
On 4/18/2014 4:33 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 4/17/2014 7:27 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> I installed Gnu Privacy Guard for Windows (Gpg4win) from
>> <http://www.gpg4win.org/> and the Enigmail 1.6 extention from
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/>.
>>
>> I already have public and private keyrings for PGP.  How can I get
>> Gpg4win and Enigmail to use the same keyrings so that I do not have to
>> maintain two redundant keyrings.
>>
>> Yes, I know this might be a Gpg4win question.  I will also ask at
>> alt.security.pgp and comp.security.pgp and possibly elsewhere.  However,
>> I thought someone who uses Thunderbird with Enigmail might have the
>> answer.
>>

> Actually, it is comp.security.pgp.discuss, not comp.security.pgp.

I think it's best to ask on the Enigmail list.
Try here:
(It's a bit strange that a securfity-related add-on uses an invalid
certificate for its mailing list webpagem but alas...)

Onno

Re: OpenPGP Encryption for Thunderbird

Ludwig Hügelschäfer-5
On 18.04.14 11:25, Onno Ekker wrote:

> I think it's best to ask on the Enigmail list.
> Try here:
> (It's a bit strange that a securfity-related add-on uses an invalid
> certificate for its mailing list webpagem but alas...)

Enigmail.net is hosted by hostpoint.ch. Enigmail.net does not use its
own mailinglist server, instead relies on a shared one, also provided by
hostpoint.ch. You can check this easily by looking up hosts and
IP-addresses:

lists.enigmail.net -> 217.26.48.142 -> admin.hostpoint.ch (this is the
hostname the certificate was issued for).

A dedicated server for enigmail is a matter of cost for a project run by
volunteers.

Ludwig

On 18.04.14 04:27, David E. Ross wrote:
> I installed Gnu Privacy Guard for Windows (Gpg4win) from
> <http://www.gpg4win.org/> and the Enigmail 1.6 extention from
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/>.
>
> I already have public and private keyrings for PGP.  How can I get
> Gpg4win and Enigmail to use the same keyrings so that I do not have to
> maintain two redundant keyrings.

Enigmail is just the frontend. It uses gpg command line executeable for
all cryptographic operations. This is supplied by gpg4win, so all is
compatible and uses the same keyrings.

Ludwig

Re: OpenPGP Encryption for Thunderbird

Patrick Brunschwig-3
On 18.04.14 11:25, Onno Ekker wrote:

> On 4/18/2014 4:33 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 4/17/2014 7:27 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>>> I installed Gnu Privacy Guard for Windows (Gpg4win) from
>>> <http://www.gpg4win.org/> and the Enigmail 1.6 extention from
>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/>.
>>>
>>> I already have public and private keyrings for PGP.  How can I get
>>> Gpg4win and Enigmail to use the same keyrings so that I do not have to
>>> maintain two redundant keyrings.
>>>
>>> Yes, I know this might be a Gpg4win question.  I will also ask at
>>> alt.security.pgp and comp.security.pgp and possibly elsewhere.  However,
>>> I thought someone who uses Thunderbird with Enigmail might have the
>>> answer.
>>>

>> Actually, it is comp.security.pgp.discuss, not comp.security.pgp.
>>

> I think it's best to ask on the Enigmail list.
> Try here:
> (It's a bit strange that a securfity-related add-on uses an invalid
> certificate for its mailing list webpagem but alas...)

I don't know from where you got that link. The web page as well as the
footer appended to each mail on the list point to

-Patrick

Patrick Brunschwig wrote:

> On 18.04.14 11:25, Onno Ekker wrote:

>>> Actually, it is comp.security.pgp.discuss, not comp.security.pgp.
>>>

>> I think it's best to ask on the Enigmail list.
>> Try here:
>> (It's a bit strange that a securfity-related add-on uses an invalid
>> certificate for its mailing list webpagem but alas...)
>
> I don't know from where you got that link. The web page as well as the
> footer appended to each mail on the list point to
> https://admin.hostpoint.ch/mailman/listinfo/enigmail-users_enigmail.net
>
> -Patrick

I'm sure I got the link from the website, but I cannot find it anymore,
neither on the website nor in my Firefox's history...

Onno

Re: OpenPGP Encryption for Thunderbird

Onno Ekker-2
Ha, found the link...
In the mailing lists membership reminder (the mail with the password), on
the bottom of the mail is the following link:
https://lists.enigmail.net/mailman/options/enigmail-users_enigmail.net/o.e.ekker%40gmail.com
When you follow that link, you go to a page with the warning about an
untrusted connection.
Onno