Old-style numbers and calligraphic letters in OpenType math fonts

Old-style numbers and calligraphic letters in OpenType math fonts

Frédéric WANG
Dear all,

I've updated my repository of OpenType math WOFF fonts to add some CSS
rules for old-style numbers and calligraphic letters:

http://fred-wang.github.io/MathFonts/

So the current status from my testing is

- Asana Math and XITS have calligraphic variants.
- Asana Math, Neo Euler and XITS have old style numbers.
- Other fonts do not seem to have such variants (or they are proprietary
and I can test them).

I listed all the possible syntaxes, either with
font-variant-numeric/font-variant-alternates not yet enabled/implemented
in browsers or font-feature-settings with/without browser-specific prefix.

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic

Re: Old-style numbers and calligraphic letters in OpenType math fonts

Frédéric WANG
Le 25/07/2014 15:35, Frédéric WANG a écrit :
> - Asana Math and XITS have calligraphic variants.
> - Asana Math, Neo Euler and XITS have old style numbers.
> - Other fonts do not seem to have such variants (or they are
> proprietary and I can test them).

Khaled Hosny pointed out that old style numbers are available for the
text font and don't really make sense for the math font. So I updated my
GitHub page to reflect that. Now, as I see, all the free fonts have old
style numbers, but only Asana Math and XITS Math have calligraphic scripts.

Le 26/07/2014 19:18, Will Robertson a écrit :
> I *think* I've seen an example of extremely old French maths that was
> set in osf, but I could be wrong... if I remember I'll try investigate
> (perhaps remind me if you're particularly interested.) Will
Well, I trust you. But from my experiments, all the OpenType families
that have both text and math fonts only have old style number in the
text fonts. If these are new families start providing old style numbers
for the math font too, then it will be easy to update the CSS rules in
my MathFonts repository to take them into account.

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic

Re: Old-style numbers and calligraphic letters in OpenType math fonts

Khaled Hosny-2
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 09:04:25PM +0200, Frédéric WANG wrote:
> Le 26/07/2014 19:18, Will Robertson a écrit :
> >I *think* I've seen an example of extremely old French maths that was set
> >in osf, but I could be wrong... if I remember I'll try investigate
> >(perhaps remind me if you're particularly interested.) Will
> Well, I trust you. But from my experiments, all the OpenType families that
> have both text and math fonts only have old style number in the text fonts.
> If these are new families start providing old style numbers for the math
> font too, then it will be easy to update the CSS rules in my MathFonts
> repository to take them into account.

The problem with old style number in math is that it might cause
something like, say, old style 4 or 9 to be mistaken with a subscript
one.

Regards,
Khaled