Old options box back

Dino-3
If You want to get the old options floating box back in Firefox 38.0.1
About:config "browser.preferences.InContent" and set it from true to false

Re: Old options box back

The Real Bev
On 05/18/2015 07:40 PM, Dino wrote:
> If You want to get the old options floating box back in Firefox 38.0.1
> About:config "browser.preferences.InContent" and set it from true to false

I once saw a nature film in which a gopher (or other rodent) rubbed its
little body all over something.  The narrator quoted:  "I will make it
smell of ME!"

Whenever I see significant changes in a user interface that's what I
think of.  Some asshole just HAD to add in his two fucking cents.

--
Cheers, Bev
Todd Flanders' hobbies include being quiet on long rides,

Re: Old options box back

WaltS48-3
On 05/18/2015 10:40 PM, Dino wrote:
> If You want to get the old options floating box back in Firefox 38.0.1
> About:config "browser.preferences.InContent" and set it from true to false

Did you also change "browser.search.showOneOffButtons" back to false?

One day they will probably remove "browser.preferences.InContent" from
about:config just like they plan on removing
"browser.search.showOneOffButtons".

Tabbed preferences are much nicer. The Add-on Manager has been in a tab
for years. I wonder why nobody has complained about it.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 38.0b4 (Beta)
[Visit Pittsburgh](http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/)

Re: Old options box back

WaltS48-3
On 05/19/2015 12:27 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 05/18/2015 07:40 PM, Dino wrote:
>> If You want to get the old options floating box back in Firefox 38.0.1
>> About:config "browser.preferences.InContent" and set it from true to
>> false
>
> I once saw a nature film in which a gopher (or other rodent) rubbed its
> little body all over something.  The narrator quoted:  "I will make it
> smell of ME!"
>
> Whenever I see significant changes in a user interface that's what I
> think of.  Some asshole just HAD to add in his two fucking cents.

We heard yours. Now read this persons two cents.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/rnRtMXK6DhU/VXt4MIPAfQ8J

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 38.0b4 (Beta)
[Visit Pittsburgh](http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/)
Go Bucs!

Re: Old options box back

responder-2
On 5/18/2015 10:40 PM, Dino wrote:
> If You want to get the old options floating box back in Firefox 38.0.1
> About:config "browser.preferences.InContent" and set it from true to false

Thank you...

Re: Old options box back

WaltS48-3
On 05/19/2015 08:51 AM, responder wrote:
> On 5/18/2015 10:40 PM, Dino wrote:
>> If You want to get the old options floating box back in Firefox 38.0.1
>> About:config "browser.preferences.InContent" and set it from true to
>> false
>
> Thank you...

It will be "mail.preferences.inContent" in Thunderbird when implemented.

Not as much white space in the right of the tab like Firefox, if you use
Lightning and the Today Pane.

Not as much white space in Firefox if a user has the Bookmarks, History
or Social sidebar open.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 38.0b4 (Beta)
[Visit Pittsburgh](http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/)
Go Bucs!

Re: Old options box back

Wolf K.
On 2015-05-19 8:46 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 05/18/2015 10:40 PM, Dino wrote:
>> If You want to get the old options floating box back in Firefox 38.0.1
>> About:config "browser.preferences.InContent" and set it from true to
>> false
>

> Did you also change "browser.search.showOneOffButtons" back to false?
>
> One day they will probably remove "browser.preferences.InContent" from
> about:config just like they plan on removing
> "browser.search.showOneOffButtons".
>
> Tabbed preferences are much nicer. The Add-on Manager has been in a tab
> for years. I wonder why nobody has complained about it.

Because it's useful.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: Old options box back

WaltS48-3
On 05/19/2015 09:12 AM, Wolf K. wrote:

> On 2015-05-19 8:46 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 05/18/2015 10:40 PM, Dino wrote:
>>> If You want to get the old options floating box back in Firefox 38.0.1
>>> About:config "browser.preferences.InContent" and set it from true to
>>> false
>>

>> Did you also change "browser.search.showOneOffButtons" back to false?
>>
>> One day they will probably remove "browser.preferences.InContent" from
>> about:config just like they plan on removing
>> "browser.search.showOneOffButtons".
>>
>> Tabbed preferences are much nicer. The Add-on Manager has been in a tab
>> for years. I wonder why nobody has complained about it.
>
> Because it's useful.

So are tabbed preferences, much more useful than a separate window.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 38.0b4 (Beta)
[Visit Pittsburgh](http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/)
Go Bucs!

Re: Old options box back

Hartmut Figge
Wolf K.:
>On 2015-05-19 8:46 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>> Tabbed preferences are much nicer. The Add-on Manager has been in a tab
>> for years. I wonder why nobody has complained about it.

I did.

>Because it's useful.

In SM, being in MailNews and be thrown into the browser because you want
to check an Add-on? Useful? Really? ;)

Hartmut

Re: Old options box back

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
WaltS48 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We heard yours. Now read this persons two cents.
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/rnRtMXK6DhU/VXt4MIPAfQ8J

Another related benefit to users is that the font and font-size
settings apply to in-content stuff, and the zoom controls work on it.

And of course the benefit to people who enjoy bitching about any change
is that they get to enjoy bitching about one more thing now and will
get to enjoy bitching again when the old xul prefs dialog is eventually
ripped out completely.  Everybody wins!

Re: Old options box back

Wolf K.
On 2015-05-19 10:29 AM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

> Wolf K.:
>> On 2015-05-19 8:46 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>
>>> Tabbed preferences are much nicer. The Add-on Manager has been in a tab
>>> for years. I wonder why nobody has complained about it.
>
> I did.
>
>> Because it's useful.
>
> In SM, being in MailNews and be thrown into the browser because you want
> to check an Add-on? Useful? Really? ;)
>
> Hartmut

SM _is_ browser. Mail/news is functionally an add-on. I prefer mail/news
separate from the browser, as you may have guessed. BTW, in Tbird, the
add-ons manager is tabbed, the only tabbing I allow. ;-)

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: Old options box back

WaltS48-3
On 05/19/2015 10:29 AM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

> Wolf K.:
>> On 2015-05-19 8:46 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>
>>> Tabbed preferences are much nicer. The Add-on Manager has been in a tab
>>> for years. I wonder why nobody has complained about it.
>
> I did.
>
>> Because it's useful.
>
> In SM, being in MailNews and be thrown into the browser because you want
> to check an Add-on? Useful? Really? ;)
>
> Hartmut

Are we talking about SeaMonkey? Damn my 3rd grade reading comprehension
kicked in again. :(

SeaMonkey has been doing that forever.

Hartmut Figge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In SM, being in MailNews and be thrown into the browser because you
> want to check an Add-on? Useful? Really? ;)

Is being thrown into a browser tab really any less useful than being
thrown into a separate add-on manager?

Re: Old options box back

Hartmut Figge
»Q«:
>In <news:[hidden email]>,
>Hartmut Figge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> In SM, being in MailNews and be thrown into the browser because you
>> want to check an Add-on? Useful? Really? ;)
>
>Is being thrown into a browser tab really any less useful than being
>thrown into a separate add-on manager?

In old days, in good old days *g*, the add-on manager opened in an
overlaying window. Much smaller than the current content which would not
be changed.

Ideal solution. :-P

Hartmut

Re: Old options box back

WaltS48
On 05/19/2015 11:40 AM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

> »Q«:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> Hartmut Figge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> In SM, being in MailNews and be thrown into the browser because you
>>> want to check an Add-on? Useful? Really? ;)
>>
>> Is being thrown into a browser tab really any less useful than being
>> thrown into a separate add-on manager?
>
> In old days, in good old days *g*, the add-on manager opened in an
> overlaying window. Much smaller than the current content which would not
> be changed.
>
> Ideal solution. :-P
>
> Hartmut

Well, you are rolling your own, so have you built it so that it does it
the way it did in the good old days.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 40.0a1(Daily)
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides](https://www.coexist.org/)

Re: Old options box back

Hartmut Figge
WaltS48:
>On 05/19/2015 11:40 AM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

>> In old days, in good old days *g*, the add-on manager opened in an
>> overlaying window. Much smaller than the current content which would not
>> be changed.
>>
>> Ideal solution. :-P
>
>Well, you are rolling your own, so have you built it so that it does it
>the way it did in the good old days.

I had considered it. But. I do not use the add-on manager often. And the
required work. And patches must be maintained. :)

Hartmut, lazy

Re: Old options box back

Dino-3
WaltS48 wrote:

> On 05/19/2015 09:12 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
>>>

>>> Did you also change "browser.search.showOneOffButtons" back to false?
>>>
>>> One day they will probably remove "browser.preferences.InContent" from
>>> about:config just like they plan on removing
>>> "browser.search.showOneOffButtons".
>>>
>>> Tabbed preferences are much nicer. The Add-on Manager has been in a tab
>>> for years. I wonder why nobody has complained about it.
>>
>> Because it's useful.
>>

> So are tabbed preferences, much more useful than a separate window.

Why?

Re: Old options box back

WaltS48-3
On 05/19/2015 12:42 PM, Dino wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Because it's useful.
>>>

>> So are tabbed preferences, much more useful than a separate window.
>>
> Why?

1) Users have been using it for years with Add-on Manager. From the top
down;

Get Add-ons
Extensions
Appearance
Plugins
and I have
Languages
Services

And Add-on Manager is going to have the same styling.

2) Accessibility

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/rnRtMXK6DhU/VXt4MIPAfQ8J

3) It isn't a separate window I need to keep track of on my task bar.

But since you users don't want to read my Beta announcement posts and
discuss these changes before they happen. Whine away.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 38.0b4 (Beta)
[Visit Pittsburgh](http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/)
Go Bucs!

Re: Old options box back

EnDeeGee
On 19-May-2015 13:06, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 05/19/2015 12:42 PM, Dino wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> So are tabbed preferences, much more useful than a separate window.
>>>
>> Why?
>

> 1) Users have been using it for years with Add-on Manager. From the top
> down;
>
> Get Add-ons
> Extensions
> Appearance
> Plugins
> and I have
> Languages
> Services
>
> And Add-on Manager is going to have the same styling.
>
> 2) Accessibility
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/rnRtMXK6DhU/VXt4MIPAfQ8J
>

> 3) It isn't a separate window I need to keep track of on my task bar.
>
> But since you users don't want to read my Beta announcement posts and
> discuss these changes before they happen. Whine away.

Why should one read your Beta announcement posts when one doesn't use beta?
You are now acting like a real Mozilla can't do no wrong person.
Very annoying thing to do. :-(

Re: Old options box back

WaltS48-3
On 05/19/2015 01:20 PM, Delrio wrote:

> On 19-May-2015 13:06, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Why?
>>

>> 1) Users have been using it for years with Add-on Manager. From the top
>> down;
>>
>> Get Add-ons
>> Extensions
>> Appearance
>> Plugins
>> and I have
>> Languages
>> Services
>>
>> And Add-on Manager is going to have the same styling.
>>
>> 2) Accessibility
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.firefox/rnRtMXK6DhU/VXt4MIPAfQ8J
>>

>> 3) It isn't a separate window I need to keep track of on my task bar.
>>
>> But since you users don't want to read my Beta announcement posts and
>> discuss these changes before they happen. Whine away.
>>

> Why should one read your Beta announcement posts when one doesn't use beta?
> You are now acting like a real Mozilla can't do no wrong person.
> Very annoying thing to do. :-(

Use it or not, they could follow the link to the release notes in the
first announcement post to see what's new. It might encourage some to
test the beta.

[Firefox — Beta Notes (38.0.5beta) —
Mozilla](https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/38.0.5beta/releasenotes/)

I don't like Pocket, and think they should have stuck with the Reading
List idea.

Happy?

I do like Reader View.

I don't use Hello, but like other features I don't use, but others
might, forgot to bitch about them adding it on the first day the browser
is released.

I won't apologize for learning how to use the new features and thinking
they have improved the browser for my use. No sympathy for those that
don't make an attempt and just whine.

Then there are the beta users that have a problem, go back to the
release instead of reporting the problem, and say they may use the beta
when Mozilla fixes the problem.

Have a splendid day!