Old Firefox versus .aspx files?

Barbara-46
Is there any way to force Firefox 31 to accept a login which uses an aspx file?

This involves a credit union "update" on their website for member login.  I can
boot Windows 7 and get it to work with the latest Windows Firefox.

Would it work with Firefox 38, latest?  I've been overwhelmed by the complexity
of installing that version.

--
Barbara

Re: Old Firefox versus .aspx files?

Dave Yeo-3
Barbara wrote:
> Is there any way to force Firefox 31 to accept a login which uses an aspx file?

I thought that aspx files have worked for the longest time. What is the
error or does it just not do nothing?

> This involves a credit union "update" on their website for member login.  I can
> boot Windows 7 and get it to work with the latest Windows Firefox.

Hopefully they're not getting fancy and doing too much sniffing of
versions/OSes.

> Would it work with Firefox 38, latest?  I've been overwhelmed by the complexity
> of installing that version.

Can you post your CU URL?
Dave

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 03:15:30 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Barbara wrote:
> > Is there any way to force Firefox 31 to accept a login which uses an aspx file?
>
> I thought that aspx files have worked for the longest time. What is the
> error or does it just not do nothing?

It pops up the box that says "You have chosen to open:" Password.aspx, "What
should Firefox do with this file?", "Open", "Save" and so on.  The login is
interactive, type in the password and press OK or submit or such, and it should
be read back into the web page to open my account.

> > This involves a credit union "update" on their website for member login.  I can
> > boot Windows 7 and get it to work with the latest Windows Firefox.
>
> Hopefully they're not getting fancy and doing too much sniffing of
> versions/OSes.

I've reported the problem, but since it works on Windows, both IE and new
Firefox, I doubt they will worry about it too much.

> > Would it work with Firefox 38, latest?  I've been overwhelmed by the complexity
> > of installing that version.
> >

> Can you post your CU URL?

https://www.pmcu.org/    Near top, Left column. Just make up a username and type
something in the Login field and maybe you'll see what I'm describing.

On 09/06/16 08:57 PM, Barbara wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 03:15:30 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Barbara wrote:
>>> Is there any way to force Firefox 31 to accept a login which uses an aspx file?
>>
>> I thought that aspx files have worked for the longest time. What is the
>> error or does it just not do nothing?
>
> It pops up the box that says "You have chosen to open:" Password.aspx, "What
> should Firefox do with this file?", "Open", "Save" and so on.  The login is
> interactive, type in the password and press OK or submit or such, and it should
> be read back into the web page to open my account.

An error that used to be common but I haven't seen it for the longest
time until now.

>>> This involves a credit union "update" on their website for member login.  I can
>>> boot Windows 7 and get it to work with the latest Windows Firefox.
>>
>> Hopefully they're not getting fancy and doing too much sniffing of
>> versions/OSes.
>
> I've reported the problem, but since it works on Windows, both IE and new
> Firefox, I doubt they will worry about it too much.
>
>>> Would it work with Firefox 38, latest?  I've been overwhelmed by the complexity
>>> of installing that version.
>>>

>> Can you post your CU URL?
>
> https://www.pmcu.org/    Near top, Left column. Just make up a username and type
> something in the Login field and maybe you'll see what I'm describing.

Yes, using SM current, I get the same popup. Looking at the aspx file,
to my non-expert eyes, it looks like valid HTML, though who knows about
the css files or JavaScript it references.
Possibly it uses some newer stuff that our browser is too old for, it is
no longer supported and we're supposed to update more regularly.
Quickly grepping the Firefox source, there are tons (138 files) of
comments referencing aspx files so generally they do load.
Dave

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 05:15:17 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, using SM current, I get the same popup. Looking at the aspx file,
> to my non-expert eyes, it looks like valid HTML, though who knows about
> the css files or JavaScript it references.
> Possibly it uses some newer stuff that our browser is too old for, it is
> no longer supported and we're supposed to update more regularly.
> Quickly grepping the Firefox source, there are tons (138 files) of
> comments referencing aspx files so generally they do load.
> Dave

Yes, I've read many of those references.  I looked at the downloaded/saved
password.aspx file using Kompozer, and it could display some of it, but that
does no good even if complete since I can't upload that.

I'm experimenting with the password thing.  I booted Windows, which I had
completely set up with my new "updated" profile for the Credit Union.  I could
read the new saved password information by unhiding it in the saved logins part
of password manager.  The new one has the new password, but no username, and the
NEW login goes to a different URL (not pmcu.org).  Now if I can just figure out
a way to insert that into FF 31.

Interesting.

--
Barbara

Re: Old Firefox versus .aspx files?

Heikki Kekki
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 06:31:53 UTC, "Barbara" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 05:15:17 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Yes, using SM current, I get the same popup. Looking at the aspx file,
> > to my non-expert eyes, it looks like valid HTML, though who knows about
> > the css files or JavaScript it references.
> > Possibly it uses some newer stuff that our browser is too old for, it is
> > no longer supported and we're supposed to update more regularly.
> > Quickly grepping the Firefox source, there are tons (138 files) of
> > comments referencing aspx files so generally they do load.
> > Dave
>
> Yes, I've read many of those references.  I looked at the downloaded/saved
> password.aspx file using Kompozer, and it could display some of it, but that
> does no good even if complete since I can't upload that.
>
> I'm experimenting with the password thing.  I booted Windows, which I had
> completely set up with my new "updated" profile for the Credit Union.  I could
> read the new saved password information by unhiding it in the saved logins part
> of password manager.  The new one has the new password, but no username, and the
> NEW login goes to a different URL (not pmcu.org).  Now if I can just figure out
> a way to insert that into FF 31.

When using Internet Explorer 8 user agent, it seems to work.
http://kuvapilvi.fi/k/yPky.jpg

http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

--
Hessu
Feel free to correct my English :-)

Re: Old Firefox versus .aspx files?

Heikki Kekki
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 09:03:13 UTC, "Heikki Kekki"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> When using Internet Explorer 8 user agent, it seems to work.
> http://kuvapilvi.fi/k/yPky.jpg
>
> http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
or iPad5 user agent also work.

--
Hessu
Feel free to correct my English :-)

Re: Old Firefox versus .aspx files?

Barbara-46
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 09:32:33 UTC, "Heikki Kekki" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 09:03:13 UTC, "Heikki Kekki"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > When using Internet Explorer 8 user agent, it seems to work.
> > http://kuvapilvi.fi/k/yPky.jpg
> >
> > http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
> or iPad5 user agent also work.

I can log in running Windows using IE or Firefox 48.0.2

I can *NOT* log in running ecomstation using Firefox 31.8.0

On 09/07/16 08:41 AM, Barbara wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 09:32:33 UTC, "Heikki Kekki"<[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> >Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
>> >or iPad5 user agent also work.
> I can log in running Windows using IE or Firefox 48.0.2
>
> I can*NOT*  log in running ecomstation using Firefox 31.8.0

I think Heikki means to change your user agent rather then OS. It's
another case of sniffing the browser instead of the capabilities of the
browser.
Dave

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 16:01:35 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/07/16 08:41 AM, Barbara wrote:

> > I can log in running Windows using IE or Firefox 48.0.2
> >
> > I can*NOT*  log in running ecomstation using Firefox 31.8.0
>
> I think Heikki means to change your user agent rather then OS. It's
> another case of sniffing the browser instead of the capabilities of the
> browser.

Yes, if I only change user agent "Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; Warp 4.5; rv:38.0)
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35" to "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
6.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35", login page
appears.

I am using Dave's SeaMonkey 2.35b7, latest publicly available I think.

--
Hessu
Feel free to correct my English :-)

Re: Old Firefox versus .aspx files?

Tom Brown-19
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 02:32:50 UTC, "Barbara"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way to force Firefox 31 to accept a login which uses an aspx file?
>
> This involves a credit union "update" on their website for member login.  I can
> boot Windows 7 and get it to work with the latest Windows Firefox.
>
> Would it work with Firefox 38, latest?  I've been overwhelmed by the complexity
> of installing that version.

Running eCS 2.1Beta2, I fire up Firefox 31.8.0 with the User Agent
Switcher installed,
I can switch the reported user agent to :
"MSIE8 - standard mode (Win7)", then go to https://www.pmcu.org/ ,
type in a random user id, hit Enter,
and I get the password entry screen.

HTH
--
Tom Brown, Catherder
thomabrown at gmail dot com

Also see: <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2647781>

--
Tom Brown, Catherder
thomabrown at gmail dot com

Re: Old Firefox versus .aspx files?

Barbara-46
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 16:01:35 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/07/16 08:41 AM, Barbara wrote:

> > I can log in running Windows using IE or Firefox 48.0.2
> >
> > I can*NOT*  log in running ecomstation using Firefox 31.8.0
>
> I think Heikki means to change your user agent rather then OS. It's
> another case of sniffing the browser instead of the capabilities of the
> browser.
> Dave

Oh. (duh) Now I get it.  I'll have to check out that User Agent Switcher.  Never
had to do that before.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 17:01:35 UTC, "Tom Brown" <thombrown!@san.rr.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 16:54:36 UTC, "Tom Brown" <thombrown!@san.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 02:32:50 UTC, "Barbara"
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way to force Firefox 31 to accept a login which uses an aspx file?
> > >
> > > This involves a credit union "update" on their website for member login.  I can
> > > boot Windows 7 and get it to work with the latest Windows Firefox.
> > >
> > > Would it work with Firefox 38, latest?  I've been overwhelmed by the complexity
> > > of installing that version.
> > >
> > Running eCS 2.1Beta2, I fire up Firefox 31.8.0 with the User Agent
> > Switcher installed,
> > I can switch the reported user agent to :
> > "MSIE8 - standard mode (Win7)", then go to https://www.pmcu.org/ ,
> > type in a random user id, hit Enter,
> > and I get the password entry screen.
> >
> > HTH
>
> Also see: <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2647781>

Thanks.  I'll try this and report later today.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 17:10:54 UTC, "Barbara" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Running eCS 2.1Beta2, I fire up Firefox 31.8.0 with the User Agent
> > > Switcher installed,
> > > I can switch the reported user agent to :
> > > "MSIE8 - standard mode (Win7)", then go to https://www.pmcu.org/ ,
> > > type in a random user id, hit Enter,
> > > and I get the password entry screen.
> > >
> > > HTH
> >
> > Also see: <http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2647781>
> >

> Thanks.  I'll try this and report later today.

OK!  I think I have it working.  Setting up the User Agent isn't the most
intuitive thing I've ever done.   :(

I never could get the switcher to show me an "import" selection file, but
manually edited one as new.  I found and used "MSIE 9 - standard mode (Win 7".
Others would probably work.

Now I can switch from the default user agent to the "MSIE 9 ...." agent before I
bring up the CU site and get it to show me the Login screen.

Big THANKS to all who made suggestions!

--
Barbara

Re: Old Firefox versus .aspx files?

Ian Manners-4
I hate having to switch useragent ID's because then people go,
"Oh, our data says that OS is nolonger used so we removed the code"
or
"No one use's OS/2 (or AIX) so it doesn't matter"
or
"OS/2 = O2, wow, your still using your old mobile phone"

I send emails and log support requests instead, so far it has worked with Australian banks.