OT - request for help with network setup

OT - request for help with network setup

squaredancer
hi all

Very OT I'm afraid, but the best help around is to be found here (slimey
*lol*)

I have treated myself to a notebook and I want to "network" it to my PC,
so that both puters are able to use each other's files and drives!
As network, I have installed a Robotics Gigabit ethernet-PCI-card on the
PC - the notebook has a gigabit LAN pre-installed.... direct connection
via ethernet Cat6 cable

At the moment, both "seem" to be set up for a MS mini-net, but they just
won't "speak" to each other and the instructions to use the network
assistant fail, due to the fact that the assistant requires me to set
things that "just ain't there" to be set!

As many of the posters here have similar setups, maybe someone could
eMail me some easy-to-understand instructions....  (address is OK) - or
perhaps a good URL, where I can follow the instructions online.

PC  = Win XP home
notebook  = Win XP Media

reg

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

Mohammed-7
squaredancer wrote:

> hi all
>
> Very OT I'm afraid, but the best help around is to be found here (slimey
> *lol*)
>
> I have treated myself to a notebook and I want to "network" it to my PC,
> so that both puters are able to use each other's files and drives!
> As network, I have installed a Robotics Gigabit ethernet-PCI-card on the
> PC - the notebook has a gigabit LAN pre-installed.... direct connection
> via ethernet Cat6 cable
>
> At the moment, both "seem" to be set up for a MS mini-net, but they just
> won't "speak" to each other and the instructions to use the network
> assistant fail, due to the fact that the assistant requires me to set
> things that "just ain't there" to be set!
>
> As many of the posters here have similar setups, maybe someone could
> eMail me some easy-to-understand instructions....  (address is OK) - or
> perhaps a good URL, where I can follow the instructions online.
>
> PC  = Win XP home
> notebook  = Win XP Media
>
> reg

LOL you can't even set up a network HA!

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

Brian J. Graham-2
Mohammed wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> hi all
>>
>> Very OT I'm afraid, but the best help around is to be found here (slimey
>> *lol*)
>>
>> I have treated myself to a notebook and I want to "network" it to my PC,
>> so that both puters are able to use each other's files and drives!
>> As network, I have installed a Robotics Gigabit ethernet-PCI-card on the
>> PC - the notebook has a gigabit LAN pre-installed.... direct connection
>> via ethernet Cat6 cable
>>
>> At the moment, both "seem" to be set up for a MS mini-net, but they just
>> won't "speak" to each other and the instructions to use the network
>> assistant fail, due to the fact that the assistant requires me to set
>> things that "just ain't there" to be set!
>>
>> As many of the posters here have similar setups, maybe someone could
>> eMail me some easy-to-understand instructions....  (address is OK) - or
>> perhaps a good URL, where I can follow the instructions online.
>>
>> PC  = Win XP home
>> notebook  = Win XP Media
>>
>> reg
>
> LOL you can't even set up a network HA!

And your point in posting this response was??? :(

--
Brian

. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

squaredancer
On 27/11/2006 04:59, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Brian J.
Graham to generate the following:? :

> Mohammed wrote:
>
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> hi all
>>>
>>> Very OT I'm afraid, but the best help around is to be found here (slimey
>>> *lol*)
>>>
>>> I have treated myself to a notebook and I want to "network" it to my PC,
>>> so that both puters are able to use each other's files and drives!
>>> As network, I have installed a Robotics Gigabit ethernet-PCI-card on the
>>> PC - the notebook has a gigabit LAN pre-installed.... direct connection
>>> via ethernet Cat6 cable
>>>
>>> At the moment, both "seem" to be set up for a MS mini-net, but they just
>>> won't "speak" to each other and the instructions to use the network
>>> assistant fail, due to the fact that the assistant requires me to set
>>> things that "just ain't there" to be set!
>>>
>>> As many of the posters here have similar setups, maybe someone could
>>> eMail me some easy-to-understand instructions....  (address is OK) - or
>>> perhaps a good URL, where I can follow the instructions online.
>>>
>>> PC  = Win XP home
>>> notebook  = Win XP Media
>>>
>>> reg
>>>
>> LOL you can't even set up a network HA!
>>

> And your point in posting this response was??? :(

That's Garth in disguise, Brian - he's now wearing a turban and veil to
hide behind!

reg

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

Gordon Weast-2
squaredancer wrote:

> hi all
>
> Very OT I'm afraid, but the best help around is to be found here (slimey
> *lol*)
>
> I have treated myself to a notebook and I want to "network" it to my PC,
> so that both puters are able to use each other's files and drives!
> As network, I have installed a Robotics Gigabit ethernet-PCI-card on the
> PC - the notebook has a gigabit LAN pre-installed.... direct connection
> via ethernet Cat6 cable
>
> At the moment, both "seem" to be set up for a MS mini-net, but they just
> won't "speak" to each other and the instructions to use the network
> assistant fail, due to the fact that the assistant requires me to set
> things that "just ain't there" to be set!
>
> As many of the posters here have similar setups, maybe someone could
> eMail me some easy-to-understand instructions....  (address is OK) - or
> perhaps a good URL, where I can follow the instructions online.
>
> PC  = Win XP home
> notebook  = Win XP Media
>
> reg

Are you using a crossover cable between the two boxes?

If you use a standard cable, then you'll have both transmitters
looking at each other and both receivers looking at each other.

The other option is to use a small multiport switch with two
standard cables.  The switch does the crossover.

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

squaredancer
On 27/11/2006 21:02, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Gordon Weast
to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> hi all
>>
>> Very OT I'm afraid, but the best help around is to be found here (slimey
>> *lol*)
>>
>> I have treated myself to a notebook and I want to "network" it to my PC,
>> so that both puters are able to use each other's files and drives!
>> As network, I have installed a Robotics Gigabit ethernet-PCI-card on the
>> PC - the notebook has a gigabit LAN pre-installed.... direct connection
>> via ethernet Cat6 cable
>>
>> At the moment, both "seem" to be set up for a MS mini-net, but they just
>> won't "speak" to each other and the instructions to use the network
>> assistant fail, due to the fact that the assistant requires me to set
>> things that "just ain't there" to be set!
>>
>> As many of the posters here have similar setups, maybe someone could
>> eMail me some easy-to-understand instructions....  (address is OK) - or
>> perhaps a good URL, where I can follow the instructions online.
>>
>> PC  = Win XP home
>> notebook  = Win XP Media
>>
>> reg
>>

> Are you using a crossover cable between the two boxes?
>
> If you use a standard cable, then you'll have both transmitters
> looking at each other and both receivers looking at each other.
>
> The other option is to use a small multiport switch with two
> standard cables.  The switch does the crossover.

hi Gordon - thanks for the reply!

I'm using a Cat5 cable, so it should work...  the network setup just
doesn't stick! Sometimes both computers show the network, but BOTH tell
me that I don't have access permission (as Administrator ??? hmmmm) and,
other times one box doesn't list the other... no way to predict what
happens, completely haphazzard!.
I'll try a crossover cable tomorrow, let you know if that works!

btw - I'm now on 10/100 connections - took the Asus laptop back to the
store and got an Acer...

reg

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

Jay Garcia
On 27.11.2006 15:19, squaredancer wrote:

> On 27/11/2006 21:02, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Gordon Weast
> to generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> hi all
>>>
>>> Very OT I'm afraid, but the best help around is to be found here (slimey
>>> *lol*)
>>>
>>> I have treated myself to a notebook and I want to "network" it to my PC,
>>> so that both puters are able to use each other's files and drives!
>>> As network, I have installed a Robotics Gigabit ethernet-PCI-card on the
>>> PC - the notebook has a gigabit LAN pre-installed.... direct connection
>>> via ethernet Cat6 cable
>>>
>>> At the moment, both "seem" to be set up for a MS mini-net, but they just
>>> won't "speak" to each other and the instructions to use the network
>>> assistant fail, due to the fact that the assistant requires me to set
>>> things that "just ain't there" to be set!
>>>
>>> As many of the posters here have similar setups, maybe someone could
>>> eMail me some easy-to-understand instructions....  (address is OK) - or
>>> perhaps a good URL, where I can follow the instructions online.
>>>
>>> PC  = Win XP home
>>> notebook  = Win XP Media
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> Are you using a crossover cable between the two boxes?
>>
>> If you use a standard cable, then you'll have both transmitters
>> looking at each other and both receivers looking at each other.
>>
>> The other option is to use a small multiport switch with two
>> standard cables.  The switch does the crossover.
>>
> hi Gordon - thanks for the reply!
>
> I'm using a Cat5 cable, so it should work...  the network setup just
> doesn't stick! Sometimes both computers show the network, but BOTH tell
> me that I don't have access permission (as Administrator ??? hmmmm) and,
> other times one box doesn't list the other... no way to predict what
> happens, completely haphazzard!.
> I'll try a crossover cable tomorrow, let you know if that works!
>
> btw - I'm now on 10/100 connections - took the Asus laptop back to the
> store and got an Acer...
>
> reg

If you're connecting the two boxes via a straight hookup box-to-box then
 you MUST use a cross-over cable. However, the BEST option is an
inexpensive router, 4-port being the best option. This way you'll be
behind a natural firewall of sorts where there are options to opt for
further protection such as hiding your IP from being pinged for
instance. I use mutiple routers here plus a hardware firewall to protect
the entire network of 8-workstations and 4-servers.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

squaredancer
On 27/11/2006 22:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
generate the following:? :

> On 27.11.2006 15:19, squaredancer wrote:

ta, muchly for the advice, Jay!

I'll try the crossover first, as it's the cheapest method - then a
router, maybe!

My first setup (see OP) was with a gigabit connection, and the gigabit
cards automagically set the crossover, but I'm now using a 10/100
connection with a Cat5 cable...

reg

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

Leonidas Jones
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 27.11.2006 15:19, squaredancer wrote:

/snip/

> If you're connecting the two boxes via a straight hookup box-to-box then
>  you MUST use a cross-over cable. However, the BEST option is an
> inexpensive router, 4-port being the best option. This way you'll be
> behind a natural firewall of sorts where there are options to opt for
> further protection such as hiding your IP from being pinged for
> instance. I use mutiple routers here plus a hardware firewall to protect
> the entire network of 8-workstations and 4-servers.

I agree with Jay, and heck, its a laptop, why not go wireless?  Move it
around with you.

Lee

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

squaredancer
On 28/11/2006 02:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Leonidas Jones
to generate the following:? :

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> On 27.11.2006 15:19, squaredancer wrote:

hi Lee

the Laptop has an integrated W/L, but the first attempt picked up
another (insecure) "station" in the near location (100-150 yards??) so I
dumped that for a starter - also, the w/l peripherie (for the PC) is
quite expensive here in Germany!
I also tried Bluetooth (on the first laptop, an Asus with integrated
Bluetooth + w/l), but they are limited to 3 metres (vers 1.*) or 10
metres with vers. 2.* and.... the USB Bluetooth I bought for the PC
wouldn't install the software.
I reckon, I'm getting all the luck available with this problem :-D

All I need the two boxes to do is:
1) use each other's filesystems
2) sync one or two *specific* files that I *MAY* want to use in the
future - IF and/or WHEN  I take that info with me to England, to do some
ancestor-tracing!

I wouldn't want to start setting-up a network on someone else's system
when I'm in England, so even though Bluetooh would work, it's not
practical for what I think I need! But I must admit - I have never given
networking any thoughts, until now, so my knowlege is limited to what I
can read in WindowsXP manuals or a book on Networking!
Of course, my renown "sticky fingers" help in experimenting with
settings etc.... but sometimes, when things "just don't work no-how" it
gets frustrating, and so I ask... and go buy a crossover cable *lol*

reg

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

Daniel-24
squaredancer wrote:

> On 27/11/2006 04:59, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Brian J.
> Graham to generate the following:? :
>> Mohammed wrote:

>>> LOL you can't even set up a network HA!
>>>

>> And your point in posting this response was??? :(
>>

> That's Garth in disguise, Brian - he's now wearing a turban and veil to
> hide behind!
>
> reg

"Garth"???

Daniel

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

squaredancer
On 28/11/2006 10:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 27/11/2006 04:59, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Brian J.
>> Graham to generate the following:? :

>>> And your point in posting this response was??? :(
>>>

>> That's Garth in disguise, Brian - he's now wearing a turban and veil to
>> hide behind!
>>
>> reg
>>

> "Garth"???
>
> Daniel

yes, "Garth" - a child aged at least 3 years from your part of the
world... IP 124.176.116.152 - Sydney, so maybe quite close to Albury!

reg

ps - follow the thread correctly, and you'll "get the message"

squaredancer wrote:

> On 28/11/2006 02:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Leonidas Jones
> to generate the following:? :
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> On 27.11.2006 15:19, squaredancer wrote:

I think Jay's advice is the best here. I have a Linksys router and 3
computers ..two run WinXP Home and one runs WinXP Pro. They all share a
fast cable connection and I am sure if you went this route you could
network your computers as you want them ..I don't have the 3 sharing
anything other than the internet connection and that is done with the 4
port switch that Jay describes so there is no degradation of the
connection even when all 3 computers are on.
I haven't got them sharing anything but that is just my choice.
My Linksys router was not at all expensive at $49 U.S. ...and the
wireless version is just a bit more.

On 28.11.2006 07:34, Brian J. Graham wrote:

>> On 28/11/2006 02:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Leonidas Jones
>> to generate the following:? :

Wireless is just as easy and keeping the outside world out is just a
matter of a security setting in the wireless card setup. Best route is
wireless router with cards in each computer. Most important in XP is to
SHARE folders/files/drives, etc. Also, each computer must be set to the
same WORKGROUP in order for everybody to "see" everybody else. Netwoking
in XP is basic and self-configuring for the most part. After setting up
the hardware you just exit and reboot XP and the rest is history, for
the most part.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

Bill Braun-2
On 2006-11-28 08:11 (-0700 UTC), Jay Garcia wrote:

<snip />

> Wireless is just as easy and keeping the outside world out is just a
> matter of a security setting in the wireless card setup. Best route is
> wireless router with cards in each computer. Most important in XP [ . . . ]

I suspect your XP experience here, much like mine, is largely with XP-P
rather than Home or Media Centre (er, Center).  I know that some networking
stuff was hacked out of Home (as was MMC); I don't know about Media Center.

> [ . . . ] is to
> SHARE folders/files/drives, etc.

Just don't share the root directory (/e.g./, C:\). :-P

> Also, each computer must be set to the
> same WORKGROUP in order for everybody to "see" everybody else.

Yep.  The last network I set up, machine names were different single malts
-- if someone does hack in, no point in giving 'em pointers by, say, naming
the file server 'Server', y'know?

> Netwoking
> in XP is basic and self-configuring for the most part. After setting up
> the hardware you just exit and reboot XP and the rest is history, for
> the most part.

'For the most part'? :-P

/b.

--
'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

On 28.11.2006 12:03, Brian Heinrich wrote:

> On 2006-11-28 08:11 (-0700 UTC), Jay Garcia wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
>> Wireless is just as easy and keeping the outside world out is just a
>> matter of a security setting in the wireless card setup. Best route is
>> wireless router with cards in each computer. Most important in XP [ . . . ]
>
> I suspect your XP experience here, much like mine, is largely with XP-P
> rather than Home or Media Centre (er, Center).  I know that some networking
> stuff was hacked out of Home (as was MMC); I don't know about Media Center.

Yup, but XP-home recognizes the network as well just not as many
user-configurable settings and such.

>> [ . . . ] is to
>> SHARE folders/files/drives, etc.
>
> Just don't share the root directory (/e.g./, C:\). :-P

Well, if it's only one's'self, so what? :-D

>> Also, each computer must be set to the
>> same WORKGROUP in order for everybody to "see" everybody else.
>
> Yep.  The last network I set up, machine names were different single malts
> -- if someone does hack in, no point in giving 'em pointers by, say, naming
> the file server 'Server', y'know?

Tuff convincing clients to NOT name their server "server".

>> Netwoking
>> in XP is basic and self-configuring for the most part. After setting up
>> the hardware you just exit and reboot XP and the rest is history, for
>> the most part.
>
> 'For the most part'? :-P

Yah, a disclaimer in case somone says, "but YOU said ....". :-D

On 2006-11-28 11:10 (-0700 UTC), Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 28.11.2006 12:03, Brian Heinrich wrote:

Hey, whaddaya know:  an easily understandable date format! :-D

<snip />

>> The last network I set up, machine names were different single malts
>> -- if someone does hack in, no point in giving 'em pointers by, say, naming
>> the file server 'Server', y'know?
>
> Tuff convincing clients to NOT name their server "server".

Sure, but, as a rule, no-one but the IT geeks have to pay attention to the
machine names; from the user's perspective, it makes no nevermind if it's
named Uigeadail or Server. . . .

/b.

--
'There is caution, and there is irrational paranoia.' -- Ron Hunter

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

squaredancer
On 28/11/2006 20:33, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Brian Heinrich
to generate the following:? :

> On 2006-11-28 11:10 (-0700 UTC), Jay Garcia wrote:
>

>> On 28.11.2006 12:03, Brian Heinrich wrote:
>>

> Hey, whaddaya know:  an easily understandable date format! :-D
>
> <snip />
>

>>> The last network I set up, machine names were different single malts
>>> -- if someone does hack in, no point in giving 'em pointers by, say, naming
>>> the file server 'Server', y'know?
>>>
>> Tuff convincing clients to NOT name their server "server".
>>

> Sure, but, as a rule, no-one but the IT geeks have to pay attention to the
> machine names; from the user's perspective, it makes no nevermind if it's
> named Uigeadail or Server. . . .
>
> /b.

*lol*  I'll heed your advice and munge it to Server1... that'll fool
anybody!

but.... got a crossover cable... no effect!
took laptop into the service centre (center) - where they connected to
both a router AND "straight through" to a PC... hmmmmm - worked!
got back home - set everything like the service guy said.... boohoo! no go!
looks like the PC has something missing in the Windows services...
wouldn't surprise me at all (sticky fingers). The PC is on XPhome, the
laptop has WinXP-MCV pre-installed! Noticed a "side effect" with MCV -
it claims to be WinXP-Pro....

Tomorrow, I'll take both comps to the service place (avoiding spelling -
crafty) and let them look at the setup!

Trouble with the W/L is that the laptop has no documentation - and I
haven't come into contact with a WLAN before. Setting security passwords
etc is beyond my knowlege, at the moment!

reg

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

Irwin Greenwald
On 11/28/2006 7:11 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

<snip>

> Wireless is just as easy and keeping the outside world out is just a
> matter of a security setting in the wireless card setup. Best route is
> wireless router with cards in each computer. Most important in XP is to
> SHARE folders/files/drives, etc. Also, each computer must be set to the
> same WORKGROUP in order for everybody to "see" everybody else. Netwoking
> in XP is basic and self-configuring for the most part. After setting up
> the hardware you just exit and reboot XP and the rest is history, for
> the most part.

I have set up a wireless LAN With my desktop and wife's laptop using a
Netgear router.  And if I can do it *anyone* should be able to do it!  I
know almost zilch about hardware.  One advantage of wireless (for the
laptop) is that you can connect while traveling, given the many hotels
that now offer free connections.

--
Irwin

Requests for help sent to my email address will be ignored

Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Re: OT - request for help with network setup

squaredancer
On 28/11/2006 21:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Irwin
Greenwald to generate the following:? :

> On 11/28/2006 7:11 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Wireless is just as easy and keeping the outside world out is just a
>> matter of a security setting in the wireless card setup. Best route is
>> wireless router with cards in each computer. Most important in XP is to
>> SHARE folders/files/drives, etc. Also, each computer must be set to the
>> same WORKGROUP in order for everybody to "see" everybody else. Netwoking
>> in XP is basic and self-configuring for the most part. After setting up
>> the hardware you just exit and reboot XP and the rest is history, for
>> the most part.
>>

> I have set up a wireless LAN With my desktop and wife's laptop using a
> Netgear router.  And if I can do it *anyone* should be able to do it!  I
> know almost zilch about hardware.  One advantage of wireless (for the
> laptop) is that you can connect while traveling, given the many hotels
> that now offer free connections.

thanks for the heads-up, Irwin but my knowlege is "zilch minus 10³" -
and I can't afford hotels anyway (I sleep under bridges when I travel :-P )

But I'll look at both WLAN and Bluetooth again, if the service guy
doesn't manage to fix it tomorrow!

reg