[OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Felixx-2
I've noticed a trend. (Or, is it just me?) It seems that everyone is
designing graphics with sharp edges. What's wrong with rounded edges?
Instead of nice rounded tabs, we're seeing squared off ones. Instead of
round or oval shapes in various sizes, we're seeing big square boxes
everywhere. Instead of using English words to explain things, we're
presented with a bunch of big gaudy square graphic boxes size by side,
stacked on top of each other, with some kind heiroglyphics in them. W8 seems
to be partly responsible, or perhaps is only symptomatic of the more basic
trend away from softness, smoothness, and clarity of graphic design.

I suppose this may have something to do with the new cellphones and tablets
which have much smaller video screens than regular computer monitors, but I
don't know. If so, then something different needs to be designed for those
of us who still use ordinary computers and monitors. The same thing isn't
appropriate on both.
--
Marco

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Bill Braun-3
On 7/20/2012 9:55 AM, Felixx wrote:

> I've noticed a trend. (Or, is it just me?) It seems that everyone is
> designing graphics with sharp edges. What's wrong with rounded edges?
> Instead of nice rounded tabs, we're seeing squared off ones. Instead of
> round or oval shapes in various sizes, we're seeing big square boxes
> everywhere. Instead of using English words to explain things, we're
> presented with a bunch of big gaudy square graphic boxes size by side,
> stacked on top of each other, with some kind heiroglyphics in them. W8 seems
> to be partly responsible, or perhaps is only symptomatic of the more basic
> trend away from softness, smoothness, and clarity of graphic design.
>
> I suppose this may have something to do with the new cellphones and tablets
> which have much smaller video screens than regular computer monitors, but I
> don't know. If so, then something different needs to be designed for those
> of us who still use ordinary computers and monitors. The same thing isn't
> appropriate on both.

It's a conspiracy by the Chinese. Stop using the internet while you
still have a chance.

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Felixx-2
"Bill Braun" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On 7/20/2012 9:55 AM, Felixx wrote:
>> I've noticed a trend. (Or, is it just me?) It seems that everyone is
>> designing graphics with sharp edges. What's wrong with rounded edges?
>> Instead of nice rounded tabs, we're seeing squared off ones. Instead of
>> round or oval shapes in various sizes, we're seeing big square boxes
>> everywhere. Instead of using English words to explain things, we're
>> presented with a bunch of big gaudy square graphic boxes size by side,
>> stacked on top of each other, with some kind heiroglyphics in them. W8
>> seems
>> to be partly responsible, or perhaps is only symptomatic of the more
>> basic
>> trend away from softness, smoothness, and clarity of graphic design.
>>
>> I suppose this may have something to do with the new cellphones and
>> tablets
>> which have much smaller video screens than regular computer monitors, but
>> don't know. If so, then something different needs to be designed for
>> those
>> of us who still use ordinary computers and monitors. The same thing isn't
>> appropriate on both.
>
> It's a conspiracy by the Chinese.

Nah. Couldn't be. But of course I don't know the origins, so I guess it's
possible. It's like a trend, a fad, a wave that comes out of nowhere and
dominates everything for awhile. Hopefully it's fleeting and will pass away,
soon forgotten.

Sharp edges have unsettling psychological implications and indicate a
problem of some kind in the medium that uses such imagery - in this case,
the internet. In other words the internet is becoming fundamentally
unhealthy. At least that's my amateur diagnosis.

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Big Al-2
On 7/20/2012 9:55 AM, Felixx wrote:

> I've noticed a trend. (Or, is it just me?) It seems that everyone is
> designing graphics with sharp edges. What's wrong with rounded edges?
> Instead of nice rounded tabs, we're seeing squared off ones. Instead of
> round or oval shapes in various sizes, we're seeing big square boxes
> everywhere. Instead of using English words to explain things, we're
> presented with a bunch of big gaudy square graphic boxes size by side,
> stacked on top of each other, with some kind heiroglyphics in them. W8 seems
> to be partly responsible, or perhaps is only symptomatic of the more basic
> trend away from softness, smoothness, and clarity of graphic design.
>
> I suppose this may have something to do with the new cellphones and tablets
> which have much smaller video screens than regular computer monitors, but I
> don't know. If so, then something different needs to be designed for those
> of us who still use ordinary computers and monitors. The same thing isn't
> appropriate on both.

Have you seen the Windows 8 preview release.      Its a cell phone now!
And your good ole square icons.

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Felixx graced us with on 7/20/2012
10:31 AM:

> "Bill Braun" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> On 7/20/2012 9:55 AM, Felixx wrote:
>>> I've noticed a trend. (Or, is it just me?) It seems that everyone is
>>> designing graphics with sharp edges. What's wrong with rounded edges?
>>> Instead of nice rounded tabs, we're seeing squared off ones. Instead of
>>> round or oval shapes in various sizes, we're seeing big square boxes
>>> everywhere. Instead of using English words to explain things, we're
>>> presented with a bunch of big gaudy square graphic boxes size by side,
>>> stacked on top of each other, with some kind heiroglyphics in them. W8
>>> seems
>>> to be partly responsible, or perhaps is only symptomatic of the more
>>> basic
>>> trend away from softness, smoothness, and clarity of graphic design.
>>>
>>> I suppose this may have something to do with the new cellphones and
>>> tablets
>>> which have much smaller video screens than regular computer monitors, but
>>> don't know. If so, then something different needs to be designed for
>>> those
>>> of us who still use ordinary computers and monitors. The same thing isn't
>>> appropriate on both.
>> It's a conspiracy by the Chinese.
>
> Nah. Couldn't be. But of course I don't know the origins, so I guess it's
> possible. It's like a trend, a fad, a wave that comes out of nowhere and
> dominates everything for awhile. Hopefully it's fleeting and will pass away,
> soon forgotten.
>
> Sharp edges have unsettling psychological implications and indicate a
> problem of some kind in the medium that uses such imagery - in this case,
> the internet. In other words the internet is becoming fundamentally
> unhealthy. At least that's my amateur diagnosis.

REF:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html

Hope is on the way.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

goodwin-8
On 07/20/2012 10:31 AM, Felixx wrote:

> "Bill Braun" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> On 7/20/2012 9:55 AM, Felixx wrote:
>>> I've noticed a trend. (Or, is it just me?) It seems that everyone is
>>> designing graphics with sharp edges. What's wrong with rounded edges?
>>> Instead of nice rounded tabs, we're seeing squared off ones. Instead of
>>> round or oval shapes in various sizes, we're seeing big square boxes
>>> everywhere. Instead of using English words to explain things, we're
>>> presented with a bunch of big gaudy square graphic boxes size by side,
>>> stacked on top of each other, with some kind heiroglyphics in them. W8
>>> seems
>>> to be partly responsible, or perhaps is only symptomatic of the more
>>> basic
>>> trend away from softness, smoothness, and clarity of graphic design.
>>>
>>> I suppose this may have something to do with the new cellphones and
>>> tablets
>>> which have much smaller video screens than regular computer monitors, but
>>> don't know. If so, then something different needs to be designed for
>>> those
>>> of us who still use ordinary computers and monitors. The same thing isn't
>>> appropriate on both.
>>
>> It's a conspiracy by the Chinese.
>
> Nah. Couldn't be. But of course I don't know the origins, so I guess it's
> possible. It's like a trend, a fad, a wave that comes out of nowhere and
> dominates everything for awhile. Hopefully it's fleeting and will pass away,
> soon forgotten.
>
> Sharp edges have unsettling psychological implications and indicate a
> problem of some kind in the medium that uses such imagery - in this case,
> the internet. In other words the internet is becoming fundamentally
> unhealthy. At least that's my amateur diagnosis.

maybe you need a Feng shui theme?

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Ann Watson-4
On 20/07/2012 1:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
<MAJOR SNIPPAGE>
> REF:
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html
>

> Hope is on the way.

But why did Australis have to be such a wishy-washy blue?

AW

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Ann Watson graced us with on
7/20/2012 4:15 PM:

> On 20/07/2012 1:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> <MAJOR SNIPPAGE>
>> REF:
>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html
>>

>> Hope is on the way.
>>
> But why did Australis have to be such a wishy-washy blue?

heh. According to the article, it's because it makes it a "fresher" UI :)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Ron Hunter
On 7/20/2012 12:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Felixx graced us with on 7/20/2012
> 10:31 AM:
>> "Bill Braun" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> news:[hidden email]...

>>> It's a conspiracy by the Chinese.
>>
>> Nah. Couldn't be. But of course I don't know the origins, so I guess
>> it's possible. It's like a trend, a fad, a wave that comes out of
>> nowhere and dominates everything for awhile. Hopefully it's fleeting
>> and will pass away, soon forgotten.
>>
>> Sharp edges have unsettling psychological implications and indicate a
>> problem of some kind in the medium that uses such imagery - in this
>> case, the internet. In other words the internet is becoming
>> fundamentally unhealthy. At least that's my amateur diagnosis.
>>
> REF:
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html
>

> Hope is on the way.

OH, JOY!  Are they just TRYING to get sued?  Why not just put the name
Google Chrome on it and be DONE with it?
COPY COPY COPY!  BAH!

On 7/20/2012 6:41 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ann Watson graced us with on
> 7/20/2012 4:15 PM:
>> On 20/07/2012 1:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> <MAJOR SNIPPAGE>
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html
>>>

>>> Hope is on the way.
>>>
>> But why did Australis have to be such a wishy-washy blue?
>>
> heh. According to the article, it's because it makes it a "fresher" UI :)

Fresher>?  You mean retreaded GOOGLE CHROME!  NUTS!

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Sailfish-2
7/20/2012 5:58 PM:

> On 7/20/2012 12:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Felixx graced us with on 7/20/2012
>> 10:31 AM:
>>> "Bill Braun" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> news:[hidden email]...

>>> Nah. Couldn't be. But of course I don't know the origins, so I guess
>>> it's possible. It's like a trend, a fad, a wave that comes out of
>>> nowhere and dominates everything for awhile. Hopefully it's fleeting
>>> and will pass away, soon forgotten.
>>>
>>> Sharp edges have unsettling psychological implications and indicate a
>>> problem of some kind in the medium that uses such imagery - in this
>>> case, the internet. In other words the internet is becoming
>>> fundamentally unhealthy. At least that's my amateur diagnosis.
>>>
>> REF:
>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html
>>
>> Hope is on the way.
>>
> OH, JOY!  Are they just TRYING to get sued?  Why not just put the name
> Google Chrome on it and be DONE with it?
> COPY COPY COPY!  BAH!

As far as the sweeping tabs are concerned, Mozilla had them before
Chrome was even a twinkle in the Google team's eye. M18 Modern and
Mozillium both sported them. Personally, I prefer the non-sloppy tabs
since they don't waste as much horizontal space.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

WaltS-3
On 07/20/2012 10:42 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 7/20/2012 5:58 PM:
>> On 7/20/2012 12:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Felixx graced us with on 7/20/2012
>>> 10:31 AM:

>>> REF:
>>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html
>>>
>>> Hope is on the way.
>>>
>> OH, JOY!  Are they just TRYING to get sued?  Why not just put the name
>> Google Chrome on it and be DONE with it?
>> COPY COPY COPY!  BAH!
>>
> As far as the sweeping tabs are concerned, Mozilla had them before
> Chrome was even a twinkle in the Google team's eye. M18 Modern and
> Mozillium both sported them. Personally, I prefer the non-sloppy tabs
> since they don't waste as much horizontal space.

They also look nice with the Smooth Slate persona I use. At least in
Thunderbird.

--
Thunderbird Earlybird with Lightning

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Jay Garcia
On 20.07.2012 21:42, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 7/20/2012 5:58 PM:
>> On 7/20/2012 12:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Felixx graced us with on 7/20/2012
>>> 10:31 AM:

>>> REF:
>>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html
>>>
>>> Hope is on the way.
>>>
>> OH, JOY!  Are they just TRYING to get sued?  Why not just put the name
>> Google Chrome on it and be DONE with it?
>> COPY COPY COPY!  BAH!
>>
> As far as the sweeping tabs are concerned, Mozilla had them before
> Chrome was even a twinkle in the Google team's eye. M18 Modern and
> Mozillium both sported them. Personally, I prefer the non-sloppy tabs
> since they don't waste as much horizontal space.

There were many UI as well as other programming that were included in
Chrome that came from Firefox, etc. Remember WHO came from Mozilla to
Google?! :-)

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

»Q«
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 08:55:24 -0500
"Felixx" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've noticed a trend. (Or, is it just me?) It seems that everyone is
> designing graphics with sharp edges.

Nobody ever liked all those rounded edges, and now that Steve Jobs is
gone, everyone's stopped pretending they do.  ;>

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Tarkus-4
On 7/20/2012 5:58 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 7/20/2012 12:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Felixx graced us with on 7/20/2012
>> 10:31 AM:
>>> "Bill Braun" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> news:[hidden email]...

>>> Nah. Couldn't be. But of course I don't know the origins, so I guess
>>> it's possible. It's like a trend, a fad, a wave that comes out of
>>> nowhere and dominates everything for awhile. Hopefully it's fleeting
>>> and will pass away, soon forgotten.
>>>
>>> Sharp edges have unsettling psychological implications and indicate a
>>> problem of some kind in the medium that uses such imagery - in this
>>> case, the internet. In other words the internet is becoming
>>> fundamentally unhealthy. At least that's my amateur diagnosis.
>>>
>> REF:
>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/258030/get_a_sneak_peek_at_firefoxs_new_australis_interface.html
>>
>> Hope is on the way.
>>
> OH, JOY!  Are they just TRYING to get sued?  Why not just put the name
> Google Chrome on it and be DONE with it?
> COPY COPY COPY!  BAH!

I wish they'd copy the smoothness and response of Chrome's tab movement too.

Re: [OT] Why all the sharp/square edges?

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Jay Garcia graced us with on
7/21/2012 4:32 AM:

> On 20.07.2012 21:42, Sailfish wrote:

Yep, Ben Goodger. And Dave Hyatt went to Apple to be instrumental for
Safari and WebKit. The company that was Netscape has a proud history of
over-achievers.

On 7/21/2012 6:32 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 20.07.2012 21:42, Sailfish wrote:

Well, lately, it seems the goal is to make FF and Chrome
indistinguishable.  Not a worthy goal in MY opinion.

On 21.07.2012 13:07, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Jay Garcia graced us with on
> 7/21/2012 4:32 AM:
>> On 20.07.2012 21:42, Sailfish wrote:

Yup, they brought the Mozilla field of dreams to new digs.

On 21.07.2012 18:05, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
>>> 7/20/2012 5:58 PM:

>>> As far as the sweeping tabs are concerned, Mozilla had them before
>>> Chrome was even a twinkle in the Google team's eye. M18 Modern and
>>> Mozillium both sported them. Personally, I prefer the non-sloppy tabs
>>> since they don't waste as much horizontal space.
>>>

>> There were many UI as well as other programming that were included in
>> Chrome that came from Firefox, etc. Remember WHO came from Mozilla to
>> Google?! :-)
>>
> Well, lately, it seems the goal is to make FF and Chrome
> indistinguishable.  Not a worthy goal in MY opinion.

In that case, choose one and don't install the other. That way you won't
be concerned with what looks like the other. :-)

I don't run Chrome and therefore could care less what it looks like or
who programmed it. FF does everything I want / need. I run Seamonkey
simply because I support it in other venues.

On 7/21/2012 6:14 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.07.2012 18:05, Ron Hunter wrote:

I use Firefox 99% of the time, but also have Google Chrome, Safari,
Opera, and IE9.  It seems that Firefox and IE are morphing into Google
Chrome as I have to look at the icon to tell which I am using if I am on
the Firefox default theme.
At least Opera and Safari have their OWN look.
One thing Firefox DOES do better is guard against  installation of
unwanted search engines, or extensions.  I downloaded a file from an
unnamed download source and even though I carefully told it NOT to do
so, it installed two extraneous search engines and hijacked the start
page for Google Chrome, and IE9.  Firefox ditched it!  Hooray Firefox!