OT -- What's wrong with google maps?

The Real Bev
Looks normal with ff3/windows but with ff2.0.0.17/linux all I can get is
a base map which I can't move around by grabbing with the mouse.  No
aerial/street view etc.  I get a messate at the top "Still loading slow?
  Try basic HTML."  If I do that I get an empty one-line google box to
fill in, which then shows me the base map.

Not happy, folks.  Hackers at work, or did Balmer write a check?

Re: OT -- What's wrong with google maps?

The Real Bev
The Real Bev wrote:

> Looks normal with ff3/windows but with ff2.0.0.17/linux all I can get is
> a base map which I can't move around by grabbing with the mouse.  No
> aerial/street view etc.  I get a messate at the top "Still loading slow?
>   Try basic HTML."  If I do that I get an empty one-line google box to
> fill in, which then shows me the base map.
>
> Not happy, folks.  Hackers at work, or did Balmer write a check?

Solved by installing ff3.0.3.  Had to tell it which profile to use and
forced everything to be compatible.  I suppose I'll find something else
wrong with it soon...

The Real Bev wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Looks normal with ff3/windows but with ff2.0.0.17/linux all I can get is
>> a base map which I can't move around by grabbing with the mouse.  No
>> aerial/street view etc.  I get a messate at the top "Still loading slow?
>>   Try basic HTML."  If I do that I get an empty one-line google box to
>> fill in, which then shows me the base map.
>>
>> Not happy, folks.  Hackers at work, or did Balmer write a check?
>
> Solved by installing ff3.0.3.  Had to tell it which profile to use and
> forced everything to be compatible.  I suppose I'll find something else
> wrong with it soon...

That was quick!  I really *HATE* what they've done to the bookmarks.
What was so wrong with the way it was before?  I set the 'auto-export'
thing as directed earlier (which I was smart enough to save) but that's
nowhere near good enough.

Re: OT -- What's wrong with google maps?

Ron Hunter
The Real Bev wrote:
> Looks normal with ff3/windows but with ff2.0.0.17/linux all I can get is
> a base map which I can't move around by grabbing with the mouse.  No
> aerial/street view etc.  I get a messate at the top "Still loading slow?
>   Try basic HTML."  If I do that I get an empty one-line google box to
> fill in, which then shows me the base map.
>
> Not happy, folks.  Hackers at work, or did Balmer write a check?

Local problem.  I used Google maps extensively just yesterday evening.
Everything functioned normally.  Maybe your Linux system needs a reboot?

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

The Real Bev wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> Looks normal with ff3/windows but with ff2.0.0.17/linux all I can get is
>>> a base map which I can't move around by grabbing with the mouse.  No
>>> aerial/street view etc.  I get a messate at the top "Still loading slow?
>>>   Try basic HTML."  If I do that I get an empty one-line google box to
>>> fill in, which then shows me the base map.
>>>
>>> Not happy, folks.  Hackers at work, or did Balmer write a check?
>> Solved by installing ff3.0.3.  Had to tell it which profile to use and
>> forced everything to be compatible.  I suppose I'll find something else
>> wrong with it soon...
>
> That was quick!  I really *HATE* what they've done to the bookmarks.
> What was so wrong with the way it was before?  I set the 'auto-export'
> thing as directed earlier (which I was smart enough to save) but that's
> nowhere near good enough.

There are MANY advantages to the new way of handling bookmarks.  I am
sure that when programmers begin to offer new features that make use of
the new potential, you will realize that this really IS an improvement.
  For now, I can't really see any great difference, good or bad.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Re: OT -- What's wrong with google maps?

Jean-Marc Desperrier
Ron Hunter wrote:
> [...]
> There are MANY advantages to the new way of handling bookmarks. I am
> sure that when programmers begin to offer new features that make use of
> the new potential, you will realize that this really IS an improvement.
> For now, I can't really see any great difference, good or bad.

No advantage in having a "Recently Bookmarked list" ?
No advantage in having a "Recent tag" ?
No advantage in having a "Most visited list" ?

As well as many mix like "Recently Stared Pages", "Most visited Stared
Pages", "Recently Stared Pages".

Programmers *have* already started to offer useful features using the
new potential.

Re: OT -- What's wrong with google maps?

Barnes
Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> [...]
>> There are MANY advantages to the new way of handling bookmarks. I am
>> sure that when programmers begin to offer new features that make use of
>> the new potential, you will realize that this really IS an improvement.
>> For now, I can't really see any great difference, good or bad.
>
> No advantage in having a "Recently Bookmarked list" ?
> No advantage in having a "Recent tag" ?
> No advantage in having a "Most visited list" ?

For me:   no, no, & no

You can also add "Bookmarks Toolbar:  no  (in fact, it is a DISadvantage).

I like my bookmarks simple - let me group them how I want, and put them
in the order I want (ie. don't auto-alphabatize).  Don't add a bunch of
extra junk (or at the least, let me get rid of it from the screen so I
don't have to look at it).

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes                              AOL IM: CNBarnes

You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
consequence.

Re: OT -- What's wrong with google maps?

Blinky the Shark
The Real Bev wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> Looks normal with ff3/windows but with ff2.0.0.17/linux all I can get is
>>> a base map which I can't move around by grabbing with the mouse.  No
>>> aerial/street view etc.  I get a messate at the top "Still loading slow?
>>>   Try basic HTML."  If I do that I get an empty one-line google box to
>>> fill in, which then shows me the base map.
>>>
>>> Not happy, folks.  Hackers at work, or did Balmer write a check?
>> Solved by installing ff3.0.3.  Had to tell it which profile to use and
>> forced everything to be compatible.  I suppose I'll find something else
>> wrong with it soon...
>
> That was quick!  I really *HATE* what they've done to the bookmarks.
> What was so wrong with the way it was before?  I set the 'auto-export'
> thing as directed earlier (which I was smart enough to save) but that's
> nowhere near good enough.

Bookmarking is a main reason I have not moved to FF3.  I keep my
bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up to
date, regardless of what machine I'm on.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> [...]
>> There are MANY advantages to the new way of handling bookmarks. I am
>> sure that when programmers begin to offer new features that make use of
>> the new potential, you will realize that this really IS an improvement.
>> For now, I can't really see any great difference, good or bad.
>
> No advantage in having a "Recently Bookmarked list" ?
> No advantage in having a "Recent tag" ?
> No advantage in having a "Most visited list" ?

No.  I don't tag.  I arrange my bookmarks by subject and generally just
use they type-to-find feature to get to the one I want.  I also edit the
titles, which are sometimes wildly uninformative in their natural form.
  I put the bookmarks I use most frequently at the top of the list.

> As well as many mix like "Recently Stared Pages", "Most visited Stared
> Pages", "Recently Stared Pages".

What is "stared"?  I probably don't do stuff like that either.

> Programmers *have* already started to offer useful features using the
> new potential.

I'm sure they have, I just haven't seen any.

Chris Barnes wrote:

> Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> There are MANY advantages to the new way of handling bookmarks. I am
>>> sure that when programmers begin to offer new features that make use of
>>> the new potential, you will realize that this really IS an improvement.
>>> For now, I can't really see any great difference, good or bad.
>>
>> No advantage in having a "Recently Bookmarked list" ?
>> No advantage in having a "Recent tag" ?
>> No advantage in having a "Most visited list" ?
>
> For me:   no, no, & no

Ah.  "Starred" pages.  I don't do that either.

> You can also add "Bookmarks Toolbar:  no  (in fact, it is a DISadvantage).

Actually, I find that useful (as long as I can put the code at the
bottom of the bookmarks.html file so I don't have to keep skipping over
it).  I put about:config, google advanced, remember password, allow no
option, and a couple of rss feeds up there.

> I like my bookmarks simple - let me group them how I want, and put them
> in the order I want (ie. don't auto-alphabatize).  Don't add a bunch of
> extra junk (or at the least, let me get rid of it from the screen so I
> don't have to look at it).

YESSSSSSSSSS!

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> The Real Bev wrote:

"If you're one of those people who talks to herself while she's walking
down the street, just hook a bluetooth thing over your ear and everybody
will think you're normal."

>>> Solved by installing ff3.0.3.  Had to tell it which profile to use and
>>> forced everything to be compatible.  I suppose I'll find something else
>>> wrong with it soon...
>>
>> That was quick!  I really *HATE* what they've done to the bookmarks.
>> What was so wrong with the way it was before?  I set the 'auto-export'
>> thing as directed earlier (which I was smart enough to save) but that's
>> nowhere near good enough.
>
> Bookmarking is a main reason I have not moved to FF3.

Likewise.  It does seem faster, though.  Or maybe it's just wishful
thinking.

> I keep my
> bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up to
> date, regardless of what machine I'm on.

That's a good idea.  I don't think you get a choice about where you save
the bookmarks as an html file, so you'd have to do a 'save to the
thumbdrive' script after you shut down FF.

Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> [...]
>> There are MANY advantages to the new way of handling bookmarks. I am
>> sure that when programmers begin to offer new features that make use of
>> the new potential, you will realize that this really IS an improvement.
>> For now, I can't really see any great difference, good or bad.
>
> No advantage in having a "Recently Bookmarked list" ?
> No advantage in having a "Recent tag" ?
> No advantage in having a "Most visited list" ?
>
> As well as many mix like "Recently Stared Pages", "Most visited Stared
> Pages", "Recently Stared Pages".
>
> Programmers *have* already started to offer useful features using the
> new potential.
To YOU perhaps, but can you really generalize that for everyone?  Some
users probably like those 'statistical' features, even if you and I don't.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Solved by installing ff3.0.3.  Had to tell it which profile to use and
>>> forced everything to be compatible.  I suppose I'll find something else
>>> wrong with it soon...
>> That was quick!  I really *HATE* what they've done to the bookmarks.
>> What was so wrong with the way it was before?  I set the 'auto-export'
>> thing as directed earlier (which I was smart enough to save) but that's
>> nowhere near good enough.
>
> Bookmarking is a main reason I have not moved to FF3.  I keep my
> bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up to
> date, regardless of what machine I'm on.

And just why can't you do that on FF3?  It has the option to export new
bookmarks to html.
You can also use 'portable FF'.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

The Real Bev wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>
> "If you're one of those people who talks to herself while she's walking
> down the street, just hook a bluetooth thing over your ear and everybody
> will think you're normal."

>>> That was quick!  I really *HATE* what they've done to the bookmarks.
>>> What was so wrong with the way it was before?  I set the 'auto-export'
>>> thing as directed earlier (which I was smart enough to save) but that's
>>> nowhere near good enough.
>> Bookmarking is a main reason I have not moved to FF3.
>
> Likewise.  It does seem faster, though.  Or maybe it's just wishful
> thinking.
>
>> I keep my
>> bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up to
>> date, regardless of what machine I'm on.
>
> That's a good idea.  I don't think you get a choice about where you save
> the bookmarks as an html file, so you'd have to do a 'save to the
> thumbdrive' script after you shut down FF.

Use Portable Firefox and put it all on the thumb drive.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> That was quick!  I really *HATE* what they've done to the bookmarks.
>>> What was so wrong with the way it was before?  I set the 'auto-export'
>>> thing as directed earlier (which I was smart enough to save) but that's
>>> nowhere near good enough.
>>
>> Bookmarking is a main reason I have not moved to FF3.  I keep my
>> bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up to
>> date, regardless of what machine I'm on.
>>
> And just why can't you do that on FF3?  It has the option to export new
> bookmarks to html.
> You can also use 'portable FF'.

I tried that.  Conceptually nice, but intolerably slow and I never
figured out exactly how to do updates -- and the configuration wasn't
all that clean either.  I just used portable thunderbird for mail,
reading news was an exercise in slothitude.

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> That was quick!  I really *HATE* what they've done to the bookmarks.
>>> What was so wrong with the way it was before?  I set the 'auto-export'
>>> thing as directed earlier (which I was smart enough to save) but that's
>>> nowhere near good enough.
>> Bookmarking is a main reason I have not moved to FF3.  I keep my
>> bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up to
>> date, regardless of what machine I'm on.
>>
> And just why can't you do that on FF3?  It has the option to export new
> bookmarks to html.

I don't wish to have to export bookmarks.  Right now, I have to do
nothing to keep bookmarks available for multiple machines.  And  since
there's quite simply and efficiently only one bookmarks.html file
involved, there's no need for synching.

> You can also use 'portable FF'.

I could if I wanted to, yes.  I think that's a chain saw approach to
something I've been happily doing with a scalpel for years -- simply
using the same bookmarks file for all instances of FF.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Need a new news feed?  http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Re: OT -- What's wrong with google maps?

»Q«
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:27:03 -0500
Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> > Blinky the Shark wrote:
> >
> >> I keep my
> >> bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up
> >> to date, regardless of what machine I'm on.
> >
> > That's a good idea.  I don't think you get a choice about where you
> > save the bookmarks as an html file, so you'd have to do a 'save to
> > the thumbdrive' script after you shut down FF.
>
> Use Portable Firefox and put it all on the thumb drive.

That won't help in Blinky's situation or he would have done it
already.  Portable Firefox requires a Windows host, but he uses
multiple OSes.

Re: OT -- What's wrong with google maps?

Ed Mullen
sssssBlinky the Shark wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Bookmarking is a main reason I have not moved to FF3.  I keep my
>>> bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up to
>>> date, regardless of what machine I'm on.
>>>
>> And just why can't you do that on FF3?  It has the option to export
>> new bookmarks to html.
>
> I don't wish to have to export bookmarks.  Right now, I have to do
> nothing to keep bookmarks available for multiple machines.  And  since
> there's quite simply and efficiently only one bookmarks.html file
> involved, there's no need for synching.
>
>> You can also use 'portable FF'.
>
> I could if I wanted to, yes.  I think that's a chain saw approach to
> something I've been happily doing with a scalpel for years -- simply
> using the same bookmarks file for all instances of FF.

I just love the "export" and "import" proponents.  Umm, whatever
happened to "copy" and "paste" at the OS level?  Pretty damned simple,
no GUI needed.

In fact, that's the beauty of the whole Mozilla profile concept:
There's your data, copy it somewhere and you have a backup!  No programs
or extensions needed.  Sheesh.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen wrote:

> sssssBlinky the Shark wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> And just why can't you do that on FF3?  It has the option to export
>>> new bookmarks to html.
>> I don't wish to have to export bookmarks.  Right now, I have to do
>> nothing to keep bookmarks available for multiple machines.  And  since
>> there's quite simply and efficiently only one bookmarks.html file
>> involved, there's no need for synching.
>>
>>> You can also use 'portable FF'.
>> I could if I wanted to, yes.  I think that's a chain saw approach to
>> something I've been happily doing with a scalpel for years -- simply
>> using the same bookmarks file for all instances of FF.
>
> I just love the "export" and "import" proponents.  Umm, whatever
> happened to "copy" and "paste" at the OS level?  Pretty damned simple,
> no GUI needed.

I just love having one copy of bookmarks.html that the Firefoxen on my
computers all use.  ;)

The Real Bev wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Bookmarking is a main reason I have not moved to FF3.  I keep my
>>> bookmarks.html file on a thumb drive, so that it is there, and up to
>>> date, regardless of what machine I'm on.
>>>
>> And just why can't you do that on FF3?  It has the option to export new
>> bookmarks to html.
>> You can also use 'portable FF'.
>
> I tried that.  Conceptually nice, but intolerably slow and I never
> figured out exactly how to do updates -- and the configuration wasn't
> all that clean either.  I just used portable thunderbird for mail,
> reading news was an exercise in slothitude.

Perhaps if your machine has only a USB 1.1 interface, or your thumb
drive itself is USB 1.1, it would be slower.  You might check to see if
you have a USB 2.0 'hi-speed' interface, and a USB 2.0 thumb drive.  IF
the drive is slow, new ones up to 4GB are only about $15 to $20 locally.

--
Ron Hunter  [hidden email]