OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

1234 ... 12

OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
NoOp wrote:

> On 02/22/2008 08:05 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> Not trying to be a group-mom;
>> yes you are!  Or correction: you're starting to be like
>> chris I and the rest of his spam moose brigade.  Has he
>> mustered in you, too?
>>
>> FU to the general
>>

> Back to mozilla.support.seamonkey - the reply was in regards to *this*
> group, not general.

off topic discussions belong in the general group [which
this is], not the support.  Just ask the "spam moose
brigade."  Since you're the one that quotes the etiquette
page, then I'll quote this:

<quote>
Most of these groups are high-traffic and read by busy
people, so please pay attention to the topic of your
messages, and check that it still relates to the charter of
the forum to which you are posting. Off-topic discussion not
taken to private email, mozilla.general, . . .
</unquote>

this means that now the subject matter at hand is no longer,
its now off topic, therefore, its to be taken to the general.

> Point being is that when the thread gets to be over a hundred lines or
> more and contains only 3 lines of response, do you think that it would
> be too much trouble to at least trim the post a little?

yes!

> I've no idea what a "spam moose brigade" is, but I guess all things come
> around.

the "spam moose brigade" consists of Chris I, Nir, Q, and
JoeS.  They're the newsgroup police.  They're the ones that
enforce the cancellation policy and the off topic discussions

>  You don't seem to mind telling someone to bottom post (and
> correctly so IMO), but as soon as someone request similar regarding
> group etiquette & trimming
> (http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html) you now become defensive?

the only one that has become defensive is you!  This doesn't
bother me, but apparently it does you. This is the second
time you've complained.

FU back to the general

Oh geeez, after reading what I just typed, I'm starting to
sound like the head spam mooser.  Oh crappers!

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speach
Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 22.02.2008 23:15, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

either that or I'll have to ban myself from the groups :-D

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speach
Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

[Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

NoOp-5
On 02/22/2008 09:15 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

> this means that now the subject matter at hand is no longer,
> its now off topic, therefore, its to be taken to the general.
>
>> Point being is that when the thread gets to be over a hundred lines or
>> more and contains only 3 lines of response, do you think that it would
>> be too much trouble to at least trim the post a little?
>
> yes!

OK I'll bite.

So you find that trimming your posts is too much trouble?

You conveniently snipped this part when moving this thread over to
general. From the original thread:

> Guys, *please* trim your posts:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
> <quote>
> Trim your follow-ups.
>
>     Do not quote the entire content of the message to which you are
> replying. Include only as much as is necessary for context. Remember
> that if someone wants to read the original message, they can; it is
> easily accessible. A good rule of thumb is, don't include more quoted
> text than new text.
>
>     There is always a need for some trimming - either a salutation, a
> signature, some blank lines or whatever. If you are doing no trimming
> whatsoever of the quoted text, then you aren't trimming enough.
> </quote>

It was simply a polite request to trim the thread posts
w/http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html quoted.

> the only one that has become defensive is you!  This doesn't
> bother me, but apparently it does you. This is the second
> time you've complained.

Perhaps... cite? And if indeed it is the second time I've complained
about you/others/whoever not trimming your posts, then perhaps you
should actually read http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html -
Trim your follow-ups.

> Oh geeez, after reading what I just typed, I'm starting to
> sound like the head spam mooser.  Oh crappers!

Or perhaps to quote your own post in another thread regarding top posting:
> If you refuse to follow the way of the group, then good luck
> in having people try to help you.

So I'll leave it at that & "Let sleeping dogs lie.".

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

NoOp wrote:
> Or perhaps to quote your own post in another thread regarding top posting:
>> If you refuse to follow the way of the group, then good luck
>> in having people try to help you.
>
> So I'll leave it at that & "Let sleeping dogs lie.".

thats fine.  I rarely get help anyways.  I've posted several
questions and most have gone unanswered. If you haven't
guessed by now, most posters ignore me anyways.

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speach
Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

Jay Garcia-2
On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> thats fine.  I rarely get help anyways.  I've posted several
> questions and most have gone unanswered. If you haven't
> guessed by now, most posters ignore me anyways.

Not ignoring you but would you please correct the spelling in your sig
from Speach to Speech .. :-)

See, you're not being ignored.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

goodwin-4
On 2/24/2008 5:23 AM Jay Garcia scribbled:

> On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

As an academic exercise only, why can't I find the post you're replying
to - it's not Peter's...

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

Leonidas Jones-2
goodwin wrote:

> On 2/24/2008 5:23 AM Jay Garcia scribbled:
>
>> On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Yes it is, there is a typo in Grant/Peter's sig file.

Lee

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

it was a test.  See, people do ignore my postings.  Its been
changed for some time, and it taken you this long to notice it.

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

PhillipJones
NoOp wrote:
-------------------------snip-------------------------

> OK I'll bite.
>
> So you find that trimming your posts is too much trouble?

The problem with trimming is on most group trimming even so much as an
extra period is frowned on. Some of the moz groups are this way.
and others if you don't trim after third round of replies or even short
you are booed for not doing so.

Almost every time I've ever tried trimming I have been fussed at for
doing it. If you had a policy that was exactly the same on every
newsgroup then it would be easier to know which way to do. It depends
upon the moderator and the purpose of the group.

So I can't seem to please any one.
-------------------------snip-------------------------

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

PhillipJones
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>> Or perhaps to quote your own post in another thread regarding top
>> posting:
>>> If you refuse to follow the way of the group, then good luck in
>>> having people try to help you.
>>
>> So I'll leave it at that & "Let sleeping dogs lie.".
>
> thats fine.  I rarely get help anyways.  I've posted several questions
> and most have gone unanswered. If you haven't guessed by now, most
> posters ignore me anyways.

People that march to the beat of a different drummer always gets ignored.

People in power tend to want other to be like lemmings just follow the
leader even if the leader doesn't know or care what they are doing.

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

That's odd I hadn't noticed and SeaMonkey and Thunderbird's  dictionary
hasn't noticed either.

goodwin wrote:

> On 2/24/2008 5:23 AM Jay Garcia scribbled:
>
>> On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Too much snipping. ;-)

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

Blinky the Shark
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

But I doubt that "free speech laws" *do* exist everywhere (think about
China, for instance), as he claims for "free speach laws".  So this
correction might move him from the benignly unverifiable directly to the
patently untrue.  ;)

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

At your house, do they spell check what's already been posted?  They
shouldn't; they should only check what you're composing.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
> -------------------------snip-------------------------
>
>> OK I'll bite.
>>
>> So you find that trimming your posts is too much trouble?
>

> The problem with trimming is on most group trimming even so much as an
> extra period is frowned on. Some of the moz groups are this way.
> and others if you don't trim after third round of replies or even short
> you are booed for not doing so.
>
> Almost every time I've ever tried trimming I have been fussed at for
> doing it. If you had a policy that was exactly the same on every
> newsgroup then it would be easier to know which way to do. It depends
> upon the moderator and the purpose of the group.
>
> So I can't seem to please any one.
> -------------------------snip-------------------------

in other words:

you're damned if you snip, and
you're damned if you don't.

you're damned if you snip too little, and
you're damned if you snip too much

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

»Q«
"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem with trimming is on most group trimming even so much as
> an extra period is frowned on.

That's certainly not true.

> Some of the moz groups are this way.

I don't think that's true either -- could you point out which groups?

goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/24/2008 5:23 AM Jay Garcia scribbled:
>
> > On 24.02.2008 02:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Jay's References header shows it was Peter's.

»Q« wrote:

> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The problem with trimming is on most group trimming even so much as
>> an extra period is frowned on.
>
> That's certainly not true.
>
>> Some of the moz groups are this way.
>
> I don't think that's true either -- could you point out which groups?

I am quite sure he is referring to secnews, which does have a no
snipping policy.

Lee

Re: [Please Trim Posts] was - Re: OT: Re: "hidden" entries in bookmarks.

Rich Gray-3
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> Not ignoring you but would you please correct the spelling in your sig
>> from Speach to Speech .. :-)
>
> But I doubt that "free speech laws" *do* exist everywhere (think about
> China, for instance), as he claims for "free speach laws".  So this
> correction might move him from the benignly unverifiable directly to the
> patently untrue.  ;)

What laws would that be anyway that would apply to private
forums (newsgroups)?   Mozilla servers, Mozilla rules.

--
Rich        (Pull thorn from address to e-mail me.)
SeaMonkey - Surfing the net has never been so suite!

Rich Gray wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> Not ignoring you but would you please correct the spelling in your sig
>>> from Speach to Speech .. :-)
>> But I doubt that "free speech laws" *do* exist everywhere (think about
>> China, for instance), as he claims for "free speach laws".  So this
>> correction might move him from the benignly unverifiable directly to the
>> patently untrue.  ;)
>
> What laws would that be anyway that would apply to private
> forums (newsgroups)?   Mozilla servers, Mozilla rules.

None that I know of (speaking *general*ly, to stay on topic), but I'm no
international rights lawyer.  :)

But I have noticed that a lot of people seem not to understand that
even, say, in the US where I live, that Constitutional guarantee only
refers to suppression by government.