[OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

1234 ... 8

[OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Matt Nordhoff
On 04/21/06 13:13, The Real Bev wrote:
> Come on, admit it, penguins are cute.  What I really want is a machine
> that JUST WORKS, preferably easily-configurable to work the way I want
> it to.  Remember the joke about "I don't want to learn that technical
> stuff, I just want to drive the car"?  That's me.  I used to like
> learning that technical stuff, but now it's just an unpleasant chore and
> a means to the end...
>
> Another quote:  "I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers..."

....And you use *nix?

(Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to have
forgotten that group exists.)
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

gwtc-4
Matt Nordhoff wrote:

> (Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to have
> forgotten that group exists.)
No, its too much trouble to go from one newsgroup where the
conversation is going on in, to another.  Only you can Chris I do this.

--
Things to Ponder about: Why do toasters always have a setting that
burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

The Real Bev
Matt Nordhoff wrote:

> On 04/21/06 13:13, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Come on, admit it, penguins are cute.  What I really want is a machine
>> that JUST WORKS, preferably easily-configurable to work the way I want
>> it to.  Remember the joke about "I don't want to learn that technical
>> stuff, I just want to drive the car"?  That's me.  I used to like
>> learning that technical stuff, but now it's just an unpleasant chore and
>> a means to the end...
>>
>> Another quote:  "I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers..."
>
> ....And you use *nix?

Yeah, well...

My live-in consultant is a linux addict, as is our son.  The consultant,
however, exhibits actual pain when asked about anything not involving
slackware and a command line (not even an xterm;  I just copied over my
.fvwm95rc and he uses only a few bits of it) and uses Mozilla (which I
installed for him a couple of years ago) only when forced.  Accordingly,
"I have always depended..."

Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet and go with the flow.  Or
something...  I really LIKE linux for a lot of reasons, there are just a
lot of things about which I'm totally ignorant.  Really basic things.  I
don't do basic, at least not very well.  "Thou shalt get programmers,
though thou be none."

> (Crossposted to and Followup-To mozilla.general. Everybody seems to have
> forgotten that group exists.)

Yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah...

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Chris Ilias-2
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 23/04/2006 2:05 PM:
> No, its too much trouble to go from one newsgroup where the conversation
> is going on in, to another.  Only you can Chris I do this.

User says to spammer, "Please remove my email address from your mailing
list."
Spammer replies, "No, it's too much trouble to remove an address, just
because the owner of that address requests it."

Conversely, it's inconvenient for people who use the support groups to
give and receive tech support, to weed through many posts of pointless
chatter.

This has nothing to do with convenience. It's about the people in
control of this server requesting that you take OT posts to a place
where it is on topic, or mozilla.general. (and the mozilla.general
option was very nice of Gerv.)

There was a lot of work put into setting up these groups, and
maintaining them. The purpose of which was not to give you, Reg, and Bev
a general chat room. If you abuse this support tool, why would the
owners care about your requests?

Consider this: The more OT discussion there is, the more likely MoFo is
to grant me the ability to remove other's posts, or ban certain posters.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

On 04/23/06 14:05, gwtc wrote:
> No, its too much trouble to go from one newsgroup where the conversation
> is going on in, to another.  Only you can Chris I do this.

At least mark off-topic messages [OT].

Chris Ilias wrote:

> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 23/04/2006 2:05 PM:
>
>>No, its too much trouble to go from one newsgroup where the conversation
>>is going on in, to another.  Only you can Chris I do this.
>

> User says to spammer, "Please remove my email address from your mailing
> list."
> Spammer replies, "No, it's too much trouble to remove an address, just
> because the owner of that address requests it."
>
> Conversely, it's inconvenient for people who use the support groups to
> give and receive tech support, to weed through many posts of pointless
> chatter.
>
> This has nothing to do with convenience. It's about the people in
> control of this server requesting that you take OT posts to a place
> where it is on topic, or mozilla.general. (and the mozilla.general
> option was very nice of Gerv.)
>
> There was a lot of work put into setting up these groups, and
> maintaining them. The purpose of which was not to give you, Reg, and Bev
> a general chat room. If you abuse this support tool, why would the
> owners care about your requests?
>
> Consider this: The more OT discussion there is, the more likely MoFo is
> to grant me the ability to remove other's posts, or ban certain posters.
so these groups ARE moderated.  And, why grant you that power!?

--
Things to Ponder about: If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make
a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Chris Ilias wrote:

> The purpose of which was not to give you, Reg, and Bev
> a general chat room. If you abuse this support tool, why would the
> owners care about your requests?

I wonder why didn't you also include the Champs in that list, after
all, they too provide lots of chit-chat.  Champs like Jay, Dan, Irwin,
and yes, even yourself.  Only you do it sneaky.  You respond, giving
your 2cents and then put a followup to the general group.

"why would the owners care about your requests?"  I've already noticed
it now!

On 04/24/06 08:46, gwtc wrote:
> I wonder why didn't you also include the Champs in that list, after all,
> they too provide lots of chit-chat.  Champs like Jay, Dan, Irwin, and
> yes, even yourself.  Only you do it sneaky.  You respond, giving your
> 2cents and then put a followup to the general group.

By setting a followup-to, he only spams the on-topic groups with one
message and forces all replies to go to mozilla.general. That's the best
you can do, short of not replying at all.
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Chris Ilias-2
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 8:30 AM:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> Consider this: The more OT discussion there is, the more likely MoFo is
>> to grant me the ability to remove other's posts, or ban certain posters.
> so these groups ARE moderated.  And, why grant you that power!?

As it has always said on <http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo>, "Posting
messages will not require approval, but the Mozilla Foundation can
remove messages."
When I asked about having moderators, the reply I got was that message
removal would be an exceptional and unusual event, starting with one or
two people having that power on the entire server, and people emailing
them as necessary. The approach is very much a "Let's see if we need it
first" philosophy.

Why me? It doesn't have to be me; but right now, no-one with that power
is looking after the support groups, and I'm the 'list-owner' of the
support lists, where the OT problems are.

Right now, I think banning a couple of poster would be the simplest, and
most affective method. Some people like to take discussions off topic,
while others just take part in whatever is being discussed. The best
evidence of this was on secnews, when Reg had computer problems for a
couple weeks last July. I remember noting in the Champs group that
during that time secnews had no OT problems whatsoever.

Chris Ilias wrote:

> Right now, I think banning a couple of poster would be the simplest, and
> most affective method.
I don't think too many people would like that!  I for one wouldn't.  I
guess we should get the one or two that were banned from the secnews
in on this one, too.  I'm sure that A and L would love to hear this --
Mozilla banning people.

Chris Ilias wrote:

Some people like to take discussions off topic,
> while others just take part in whatever is being discussed. The best
> evidence of this was on secnews, when Reg had computer problems for a
> couple weeks last July. I remember noting in the Champs group that
> during that time secnews had no OT problems whatsoever.

I sure don't remember that.  Or maybe, when its a topic that I'm not
interested in, like Linux, Macs, or every OT, I colour code it orange.
  That way when a message pops up in that group, I see the rest of the
thread is orange, so I'm not interested in that, and I move on.  I for
one don't make a big fuss about it being OT or what.

As for OT before July, sure there was, and lots of it.  I remember one
thread that had over 600 posts.  The topic started off with "Moz 1.7.3
[being] released," but ended up with other topics that ranged from
politic lessons, to history lessons, to language lessons, and we even
had some cooking lessons, especially the Beverly Hillbillies' type of
cookin'.  That was just a few of the topics that was in that one.
Remember that one Chris.  You started that thread. And that was way
back sometime in 2004.

--
Things to Ponder about: If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make
a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Chris Ilias-2
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 4:57 PM:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> Right now, I think banning a couple of poster would be the simplest, and
>> most affective method.
> I don't think too many people would like that!  I for one wouldn't.

Have you got a solution that will work and please *everyone*? Fixing the
problem without upsetting anyone, would be ideal.

> I guess we should get the one or two that were banned from the secnews in
> on this one, too.

Only one person is banned from secnews, and that person (so far) has not
posted on news.mozilla.org.

>  I'm sure that A and L would love to hear this --
> Mozilla banning people.

I don't know who "A and L" is.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Chris Ilias-2
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 5:09 PM:
> As for OT before July, sure there was, and lots of it.  I remember one
> thread that had over 600 posts.  The topic started off with "Moz 1.7.3
> [being] released," but ended up with other topics that ranged from
> politic lessons, to history lessons, to language lessons, and we even
> had some cooking lessons, especially the Beverly Hillbillies' type of
> cookin'.  That was just a few of the topics that was in that one.
> Remember that one Chris.  You started that thread. And that was way back
> sometime in 2004.

I don't see your point. Are you saying I was to blame for that OT
discussion, because I started the thread? Almost none of the threads
begin OT.

Chris Ilias wrote:

> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 4:57 PM:
>
>>Chris Ilias wrote:
>>

>>>Right now, I think banning a couple of poster would be the simplest, and
>>>most affective method.
>>
>>I don't think too many people would like that!  I for one wouldn't.
>

> Have you got a solution that will work and please *everyone*? Fixing the
> problem without upsetting anyone, would be ideal.

let me think about it

>>I guess we should get the one or two that were banned from the secnews in
>>on this one, too.
>

> Only one person is banned from secnews, and that person (so far) has not
> posted on news.mozilla.org.
>

>> I'm sure that A and L would love to hear this --
>>Mozilla banning people.
>

> I don't know who "A and L" is.
A is the guy who owns the Silly site, and isn't L the person [woman]
who was banned.

--
Things to Ponder about: If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make
a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Chris Ilias-2
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 8:41 PM:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 4:57 PM:
>>
>>> I'm sure that A and L would love to hear this --
>>> Mozilla banning people.
>>
>> I don't know who "A and L" is.
> A is the guy who owns the Silly site, and isn't L the person [woman] who
> was banned.

Obviously, you don't want to discuss it, or you would just say who, and
get on with the discussion, rather than giving me silly riddles.
Name names, or don't waste my time.

Chris Ilias wrote:

> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 8:41 PM:
>
>>Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>>_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 4:57 PM:

>>>I don't know who "A and L" is.
>>
>>A is the guy who owns the Silly site, and isn't L the person [woman] who
>>was banned.
>

> Obviously, you don't want to discuss it, or you would just say who, and
> get on with the discussion, rather than giving me silly riddles.
> Name names, or don't waste my time.
Oh for cryin-out-loud -- its Antony and Lorraine!!!!

--
Things to Ponder about: If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make
a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Chris Ilias-2
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 25/04/2006 2:41 AM:

> Oh for cryin-out-loud -- its Antony and Lorraine!!!!

If anyone were to be banned from the mozilla.* newsgroups, why would
Antony and Lorraine love to hear it?

Chris Ilias wrote:

> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 25/04/2006 2:41 AM:

>>Oh for cryin-out-loud -- its Antony and Lorraine!!!!
>

> If anyone were to be banned from the mozilla.* newsgroups, why would
> Antony and Lorraine love to hear it?
haven't you been reading?  Both of them have been banned from the
secnews groups.

--
Things to Ponder about: If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make
a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Chris Ilias-2
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 25/04/2006 2:59 AM:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> If anyone were to be banned from the mozilla.* newsgroups, why would
>> Antony and Lorraine love to hear it?
> haven't you been reading?  Both of them have been banned from the
> secnews groups.

Actually, Antony has never been banned from secnews; and Lorraine's ban
was lifted years ago. Secnews is not news.mozilla.org. If anyone were to
be banned from the mozilla.* newsgroups, why would I care if Antony and
Lorraine heard about it?
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>

Re: [OT] Re: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Dosen't open pages.

Jay Garcia
On 24.04.2006 15:57, gwtc wrote:

>> Right now, I think banning a couple of poster would be the simplest, and
>> most affective method.
> I don't think too many people would like that!  I for one wouldn't.  I
> guess we should get the one or two that were banned from the secnews
> in on this one, too.  I'm sure that A and L would love to hear this --
> Mozilla banning people.

Butting in ...

There was/is only ONE poster that was/is banned officially and unable to
post on secnews.

Butting out ...

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion