OT Re: AV program

Jay Garcia

Re: OT Re: AV program

Jay Garcia

Re: OT Re: AV program

PhillipJones
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 05.09.2007 10:34, Terry R. wrote:

  Sentence should be (and from a fellow that just merely made a C in
English) tada !:

Katrina has AFFECTED that area; but, I had no idea how much "of an"
EFFECT its had!"

Re: OT Re: AV program

"Fred W. <"
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 05.09.2007 10:34, Terry R. wrote:

Additional nitpick:

An apostrophe is used to form a contraction

"it's" is the proper contraction of "it is" or "it has".

Re: OT Re: AV program

PhillipJones
Terry R. wrote:

> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 30.08.2007 10:20, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

  Actually you have it wrong as well.

"Katrina has AFFECTED that area; but, I had no idea how much "of an"
EFFECT Its, had!"

Re: OT Re: AV program

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:

another nit-pick: using but after a semicolon is considered
bad.  Either start a new sentence, or revising with a comma.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: OT Re: AV program

Terry R.
On 9/5/2007 10:36 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
the keyboard

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 05.09.2007 10:34, Terry R. wrote:

If you know andrew at all, the semi-colon is not needed, nor the comma,
as his lines are meant to be spoken all in one breath.  And you can't
correct someones speech adding "of an".  "...an effect" is okay.

Don't brag about "C's"...

--
Terry R.

Re: OT Re: AV program

Terry R.
On 9/5/2007 10:45 AM On a whim, Fred W. > pounded out on the keyboard

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 05.09.2007 10:34, Terry R. wrote:

Nitpick for what?  There shouldn't have been an apostrophe in Andrew's
usage and I corrected it.

--
Terry R.

Re: OT Re: AV program

Terry R.
On 9/5/2007 10:48 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
the keyboard

> Terry R. wrote:

Please Phillip, you've already lost the jist of it.  See my prior
response...

--
Terry R.

Re: OT Re: AV program

Terry R.
On 9/5/2007 11:12 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
out on the keyboard

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard

That's because a semi-colon wasn't needed at all.  Phillip is trying to
show us something with his "C" average in English.

Terry R. wrote:

> On 9/5/2007 11:12 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
> out on the keyboard
>
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

you mean American English.

Fred W. > wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 05.09.2007 10:34, Terry R. wrote:

Even more nits. Technically he is using Its for a contraction of It has.
  And therefore should either be It has, Had. Or leave the Had off
altogether when using the un-contracted form. ;-)

Re: OT Re: AV program

PhillipJones
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the
>>> keyboard

When I went to school the rules of grammar stated the only proper way to
use "but" in a sentence is to signify a section that could if broken
apart could stand on its own. But proper usage dictated you always used
a semicolon before the word "but" and immediately follow it by a comma.
Other wise it appears and sounds like a run on sentence. I came up
through schools in the 50's and 60's. If the rules have changed then so
be it.

Like I said I had to work hard to maintain a C average with occasional
bouts of B's  (that more than one B - contraction . not a contraction
for BS) ;-)

Re: OT Re: AV program

PhillipJones
Terry R. wrote:

> On 9/5/2007 11:12 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
> out on the keyboard
>
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

  Actually when I wen through English 64-68 If you used "But" in the
Middle of a sentence Rules of Grammar stated you but use a semicolon
before and a coma after Other wise the sentence would look and sound
like a run on sentence. It also Signifies a Portion of a sentence That
could actually stand on its own as sentence.

Re: OT Re: AV program

PhillipJones
Terry R. wrote:

> On 9/5/2007 10:36 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
> the keyboard
>
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 05.09.2007 10:34, Terry R. wrote:

  Since we are not allowed to you html in these groups  using the ", was
to emphasize the words that were left out. Had I used html instead I
would boldfaced these words or underlined to indicate the missing words.
I have not found any way in Plain text any way to bold face words I want
to emphasize. So I use " hoping folks are smart enough to know what I am
trying to do.

That's one reason I detest having to use Plain text. they is no way to
boldface or underline words to show a point.

Re: OT Re: AV program

Ed Mullen
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the
>> keyboard

'"It's" had.'  A contraction of "It is" needs the apostrophe.  "Its" is
a possessive, as in "This discussion has run its course." As opposed to:
  "It's silly to argue about its relevance to this discussion."  Or,
"It's true that its qualities lack relevance."  Or, "Its lack of sense
tells me that it's no longer worth arguing about."  Kay?  Oh!  I had an
Aunt Kay!  'Til she died.  But it's not germane to the discussion.

Ok, I'm feeling contraction overload.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: OT Re: AV program

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 9/5/2007 11:30 AM, Terry R. wrote:

> On 9/5/2007 10:45 AM On a whim, Fred W. > pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

I believe Andrew's usage is "it has" as in "it has had", so an
apostrophe is appropriate.

--
Irwin

Re: OT Re: AV program

squaredancer
On 06.09.2007 02:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip M.
Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

> Fred W. > wrote:
>
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

and here's me thinkin':
contractions are things that women suffer before giving birth??? :-\

reg

Re: OT Re: AV program

squaredancer
On 06.09.2007 02:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip M.
Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

Nitpick:
occasional bouts of B's

should read *without* the apostrophe, as the "B's" is meant to be a
*plural* of B - which is the grammatical addition of an "s"

reg

Re: OT Re: AV program

squaredancer
On 06.09.2007 03:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ed Mullen to
generate the following:? :

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the
>>> keyboard

tell us if it's a boy or a girl, and we'll drink to it (or even to them)
8-)

reg
ps: I mean, of course, *after* the contractions!