OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

On 04/19/2018 06:12 AM, Wolf K wrote:
> Windows and OS-X have the advantage of large small user bases that are
> willing to pay for improvements and enhancements to existing software,
> but see no reason for switching to alternatives just to run on a more
> secure OS. Not that Linux could not compete on its merits, but merits
> aren't enough.

Remove Apple from that statement and I would have to reluctantly agree.

Linux need to come up with something that wins them the applications
wars.s  But what, I have no idea.

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 4/20/2018 6:06 PM, T wrote:

> On 04/19/2018 05:36 AM, Caver1 wrote:
>> I do agree about the accountants and Quickbooks.
>
> I have had customer with Apple and Quickbooks for
> Apple show up at an accounting firm and get told
> to go home, get a Windows machine and a Windows copy
> of Quickbooks, then come back.  These guys do not
> want to learn ANYTHING NEW.  In there defense, Quickbooks
> for Apple is tragic.

As one who has failed to do so, the first thing to do is learn
bookkeeping from scratch.  You'll have a better grasp of the software if
you know what it's doing.  Some have got it, some ain't.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

On 04/21/2018 02:28 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:
> As one who has failed to do so, the first thing to do is learn
> bookkeeping from scratch.  You'll have a better grasp of the software if
> you know what it's doing.  Some have got it, some ain't.

No fooling.

I wrote my own software using Lotus Approach.  Each
form prints out what block things go on Schedule C, etc.

All charges balance all payments to zero.

I am currently running the database under Wine Staging.
A few glitches but it is twice as fast as running it under
native Windows.  Approach in now abandon-ware.  I haven't
found anything better to replace it.

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

caver1-5
On 04/21/2018 07:24 AM, T wrote:

> On 04/21/2018 02:28 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:
>> As one who has failed to do so, the first thing to do is learn
>> bookkeeping from scratch.  You'll have a better grasp of the software if
>> you know what it's doing.  Some have got it, some ain't.
>
> No fooling.
>
> I wrote my own software using Lotus Approach.  Each
> form prints out what block things go on Schedule C, etc.
>
> All charges balance all payments to zero.
>
> I am currently running the database under Wine Staging.
> A few glitches but it is twice as fast as running it under
> native Windows.  Approach in now abandon-ware.  I haven't
> found anything better to replace it.

Why don't you release it so others can use it?

--
Caver1

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

On 04/21/2018 06:27 AM, Caver1 wrote:

> On 04/21/2018 07:24 AM, T wrote:
>> On 04/21/2018 02:28 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:
>>> As one who has failed to do so, the first thing to do is learn
>>> bookkeeping from scratch.  You'll have a better grasp of the software if
>>> you know what it's doing.  Some have got it, some ain't.
>>
>> No fooling.
>>
>> I wrote my own software using Lotus Approach.  Each
>> form prints out what block things go on Schedule C, etc.
>>
>> All charges balance all payments to zero.
>>
>> I am currently running the database under Wine Staging.
>> A few glitches but it is twice as fast as running it under
>> native Windows.  Approach in now abandon-ware.  I haven't
>> found anything better to replace it.
>>

> Why don't you release it so others can use it?

IBM's official "excuse" is that there are license agreements
in the software with other software vendors and that they
have lost track of who they are.  So they can't give it
away or sell it because some parts of it are not theirs.
It is annoying.

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

accountholder
On 04/21/2018 03:28 PM, T wrote:

> On 04/21/2018 06:27 AM, Caver1 wrote:
>>>
>>> No fooling.
>>>
>>> I wrote my own software using Lotus Approach.  Each
>>> form prints out what block things go on Schedule C, etc.
>>>
>>> All charges balance all payments to zero.
>>>
>>> I am currently running the database under Wine Staging.
>>> A few glitches but it is twice as fast as running it under
>>> native Windows.  Approach in now abandon-ware.  I haven't
>>> found anything better to replace it.
>>>

>> Why don't you release it so others can use it?
>>

> IBM's official "excuse" is that there are license agreements
> in the software with other software vendors and that they
> have lost track of who they are.  So they can't give it
> away or sell it because some parts of it are not theirs.
> It is annoying.

Huh? What did you write, and what can't IBM give away?

Lotus SmartSuite free download...
https://archive.org/details/LotusSmartSuite99

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

On 04/21/2018 10:29 PM, accountholder wrote:

> On 04/21/2018 03:28 PM, T wrote:

>>> Why don't you release it so others can use it?
>>>

>> IBM's official "excuse" is that there are license agreements
>> in the software with other software vendors and that they
>> have lost track of who they are.  So they can't give it
>> away or sell it because some parts of it are not theirs.
>> It is annoying.
>
> Huh? What did you write, and what can't IBM give away?

IBM can't or won't turn over Smart Suite's code to a new owner

> Lotus SmartSuite free download...
> https://archive.org/details/LotusSmartSuite99

Cool!  Thank you!

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Luis-2
Luis wrote:
> Absolutely yes! I purchased a Samsung Evo 950 500GB SSD and now my i7
> computer fly. I'm surprised how fast is FF now. Installation and cloning
> is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and overall performance is amazing. I guess any
> SSD will fit the bill so I will revamp my laptop as well although will
> search for a cheaper 1 TB cause my old Toshiba has 1 drive only.

In my opinion several of the received negative comments are based on old
SSD's reviews dated 2011-2016 or bad experience with old ssd's.
I decided to buy the Samsung EVO 850 500GB after visiting this page
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/ and I'm happy with the results so far. It
seems to me that I have a new more powerful machine.
Of course I saved an image of the old HDD just in case plus the old HDD
with the Windows 10 system. My recommendation is read new reviews and
don't buy old SSD's or cheaper ones. Also, be sure the SSD's firmware is
up to date.

And by the way, thanks to the SSD Firefox is again my default browser.
Why? Faster overall response.