OT: Is SSD worth the price?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Luis-2
Absolutely yes! I purchased a Samsung Evo 950 500GB SSD and now my i7
computer fly. I'm surprised how fast is FF now. Installation and cloning
is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and overall performance is amazing. I guess any
SSD will fit the bill so I will revamp my laptop as well although will
search for a cheaper 1 TB cause my old Toshiba has 1 drive only.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 17/04/2018 01:20, Luis wrote:
> Absolutely yes! I purchased a Samsung Evo 950 500GB SSD and now my i7
> computer fly. I'm surprised how fast is FF now. Installation and
> cloning is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and overall performance is amazing. I
> guess any SSD will fit the bill so I will revamp my laptop as well
> although will search for a cheaper 1 TB cause my old Toshiba has 1
> drive only.

NO

They are overpriced and the value compared to 5 second improvement is
not worth it!!

I just tossed away250GB SSD and replaced it with Seagate Firecuda 2TB drive.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> /--- This email has been checked for viruses by
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Windows Defender software.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> //https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/


--
With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Jeff Barnett
Good Guy wrote on 4/16/2018 6:56 PM:

> On 17/04/2018 01:20, Luis wrote:
>> Absolutely yes! I purchased a Samsung Evo 950 500GB SSD and now my i7
>> computer fly. I'm surprised how fast is FF now. Installation and
>> cloning is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and overall performance is amazing. I
>> guess any SSD will fit the bill so I will revamp my laptop as well
>> although will search for a cheaper 1 TB cause my old Toshiba has 1
>> drive only.
>
> NO
>
> They are overpriced and the value compared to 5 second improvement is
> not worth it!!
>
> I just tossed away250GB SSD and replaced it with Seagate Firecuda 2TB drive.

Welcome back to the 20th century. Some people actually use their
computer - wait for it - to compute things. It's rather amazing how much
faster computers are with proper hardware. Of course since you are using
Windows 10 you have no need for speed since that software provides it
for you. For those of us using such things as Photo Shop or playing
games the differences are rather spectacular. Those confined to lobbing
bombs in newsgroups can do without.
--
Jeff Barnett

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
T
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

T
In reply to this post by Luis-2
On 04/16/2018 05:20 PM, Luis wrote:
> Absolutely yes! I purchased a Samsung Evo 950 500GB SSD and now my i7
> computer fly. I'm surprised how fast is FF now. Installation and cloning
> is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and overall performance is amazing. I guess any
> SSD will fit the bill so I will revamp my laptop as well although will
> search for a cheaper 1 TB cause my old Toshiba has 1 drive only.


Yes, but ...

The only ones I have found that are reliable are Samsung.
I have taken it in the shorts having to replace crappy Intel
SSD's on my own dime.  Pay the extra money.

Here is a good bench mark for you.  This computer takes
SEVEN seconds to boot of my NVMe drive and over two minutes
to boot of an identical clone on to a mechanical drive.

This same motherboard takes about 20 seconds to boot
(real boot, not fast boot) THAT operating system that
can't count (W10) whose name I shall not mention.
This is extraordinary as THAT OS is a crappy, bug
riddled dog.

Fedora 27 on an NMVe drive is a total charm to operate.




_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Luis-2
T wrote:

> On 04/16/2018 05:20 PM, Luis wrote:
>> Absolutely yes! I purchased a Samsung Evo 950 500GB SSD and now my i7
>> computer fly. I'm surprised how fast is FF now. Installation and
>> cloning is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and overall performance is amazing. I
>> guess any SSD will fit the bill so I will revamp my laptop as well
>> although will search for a cheaper 1 TB cause my old Toshiba has 1
>> drive only.
>
>
> Yes, but ...
>
> The only ones I have found that are reliable are Samsung.
> I have taken it in the shorts having to replace crappy Intel
> SSD's on my own dime.  Pay the extra money.

The problem is price due to my limited budget. For my laptop I need 1TB
disk partitioned for Windows system and data (50/50).

>
> Here is a good bench mark for you.  This computer takes
> SEVEN seconds to boot of my NVMe drive and over two minutes
> to boot of an identical clone on to a mechanical drive.
>
> This same motherboard takes about 20 seconds to boot
> (real boot, not fast boot) THAT operating system that
> can't count (W10) whose name I shall not mention.
> This is extraordinary as THAT OS is a crappy, bug
> riddled dog.
I have tweaked hundreds of computers in my life and I'm convinced that
much more important is perception or sense if you prefer than
bench-marking. In fact it is not realistic to compare two different
machines based on bench-marking results. Let alone that tweaking to a
maximum of the hardware capabilities ends in instability.
>
> Fedora 27 on an NMVe drive is a total charm to operate.
I agree with you M$ is crap but they lead the industry along with Intel
and the others I also prefer not to mention. However, I have tried Linux
many times and still I'm not convinced. Maybe some day in the future...
who knows... By the way, I have never tried Fedora... hmmmm... Is it the
same gal with different... you know?
>


_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

s|b-2
In reply to this post by T
On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 21:35:44 -0700, T wrote:

> Yes, but ...
>
> The only ones I have found that are reliable are Samsung.
> I have taken it in the shorts having to replace crappy Intel
> SSD's on my own dime.  Pay the extra money.

I have an SSD from Intel. Been running it since 2012. No problems
whatsoever.

--
s|b
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
T
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

T
On 04/17/2018 12:38 PM, s|b wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 21:35:44 -0700, T wrote:
>
>> Yes, but ...
>>
>> The only ones I have found that are reliable are Samsung.
>> I have taken it in the shorts having to replace crappy Intel
>> SSD's on my own dime.  Pay the extra money.
>
> I have an SSD from Intel. Been running it since 2012. No problems
> whatsoever.
>

There first models were boiler plate.  Still got some running
out there.  But their later models are crap.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
T
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

T
In reply to this post by Luis-2
On 04/17/2018 07:42 AM, Luis wrote:
> In fact it is not realistic to compare two different machines based on
> bench-marking results. Let alone that tweaking to a maximum of the
> hardware capabilities ends in instability.

Actually, they were "identical" machines.  On the first one,
I installed Fedora 27 on it, then wiped and installed Windows
"I can't count" on it.  On the second machine (my main office)
machine, I only have/had Fedora 27 on it.

And you make a good point.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
T
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

T
In reply to this post by Luis-2
On 04/17/2018 07:42 AM, Luis wrote:
> I agree with you M$ is crap but they lead the industry along with Intel
> and the others I also prefer not to mention. However, I have tried Linux
> many times and still I'm not convinced. Maybe some day in the future...
> who knows... By the way, I have never tried Fedora... hmmmm... Is it the
> same gal with different... you know?

I forced myself to become a Linux shop.  When I need to
look something up for a Windows customer, I use my virtual
machines.

M$ has won the application wars.  In my opinion, that is the only
reason folks use Windows.  It is because they have to: no quick books,
no quicken, no point of sale software, yada, yada, yada.   I good
fast NVMe drive does go a long way to improving Windows Nein's,
oops, Ten's stability.

I adore Fedora as they keep up on things.  It is a shining example
of Kaisen (constant improvement) in action.  RHEL and clones
(CentOS) has the antidote.  I use to use them, but the instability
and the outright stress caused by them not keeping things fixed
almost drove me INSANE.  RHEL is an anti-Kaisen OS.  Windows,
on the other hand, especially Nein, is just a mess.

I am absolutely tickled with Fedora, where things get fix.

I had to write my own accounting software.



_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

caver1-5
On 04/17/2018 11:59 PM, T wrote:

> On 04/17/2018 07:42 AM, Luis wrote:
>> I agree with you M$ is crap but they lead the industry along with Intel
>> and the others I also prefer not to mention. However, I have tried Linux
>> many times and still I'm not convinced. Maybe some day in the future...
>> who knows... By the way, I have never tried Fedora... hmmmm... Is it the
>> same gal with different... you know?
>
> I forced myself to become a Linux shop.  When I need to
> look something up for a Windows customer, I use my virtual
> machines.
>
> M$ has won the application wars.  In my opinion, that is the only
> reason folks use Windows.  It is because they have to: no quick books,
> no quicken, no point of sale software, yada, yada, yada.   I good
> fast NVMe drive does go a long way to improving Windows Nein's,
> oops, Ten's stability.
>
> I adore Fedora as they keep up on things.  It is a shining example
> of Kaisen (constant improvement) in action.  RHEL and clones
> (CentOS) has the antidote.  I use to use them, but the instability
> and the outright stress caused by them not keeping things fixed
> almost drove me INSANE.  RHEL is an anti-Kaisen OS.  Windows,
> on the other hand, especially Nein, is just a mess.
>
> I am absolutely tickled with Fedora, where things get fix.
>
> I had to write my own accounting software.
>
>
>

No point of sale software or none that you care for?

--
Caver1
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

tanstaafl-2
In reply to this post by Jeff Barnett
On Tue Apr 17 2018 22:38:27 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Good Guy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17/04/2018 05:01, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>>
>> Welcome back to the 20th century. Some people actually use their
>> computer - wait for it - to compute things. It's rather amazing how
>> much faster computers are with proper hardware.
>
> Whatever it means by "Proper Hardware", let me tell you old boy.

<snip> You're an asshole. AND you're wrong.

> Hardware has become much faster but life on a computer hasn't changed
> at all. The reason for this is software makers are introducing more
> and more features to make any minute speed increase by your "Proper
> Hardware" become useless.
Not useless, but yes, they are taking advantage of more power to do
things that they couldn't otherwise do.

Yes, there are issues with sloppy/lazy programming, but that is a
separate problem, and not a new one either.

> Adobe products are the slowest on any hardware and spending a fortune on
> that toy called SSD is not going to improve anything what-so-ever.

Being more adamant doesn't make you right when you're wrong, and...
boy... you're wrong.

> 5 seconds is all you'll gain but you'll spend 22 seconds to access
> your Apps on any other drive you might have installed.
You toss these numbers around like you know something, but you're just
an ignorant ass.

Case in point... our ole Dell 9010 AIO workstations went from cold boot
times of about 150 seconds, all the way down to 12 seconds. You do the
math, but I'll give you a hint: it is much more than '5 seconds'.

> You can't install Apps on SSD because the size is not likely to be
> enough.
Depends on the applications. We upgraded these to 256GB drives, and they
have a lot of applications installed, no problems.

If you are using software that requires a lot of storage, that is very
different than most people's requirements.

> I tossed it up because I could,'t update my Adobe CC and Microsoft
> Visual Studio regularly.
Most people don't use those applications. If you do, then you should be
able to afford a 512GB or 1+TB SSD.

>> Those confined to lobbing bombs in newsgroups can do without.
>
> WTF are you talking about here. You need your brain to be scanned
> for any viruses. Old age can create dementia. Is this you I am
> describing?

His joke (at your expense) was hardly cloaked...

> In summary, don't waste money on small SSD.

It isn't a waste if its all you need.

> If you can afford 1TB and more than perhaps but not other wise.

If you NEED a 1+TB. Again, the average person doesn't.

> To me I go for value for money. Saving 5 seconds is simply not worth
> it. even saving 30 seconds is not worth it.
I guess the same goes for 138 seconds?

You're an odd duck, but still an asshole.

> I haven't seen any tests on youtube that shows much
> improvement than 30 seconds.

Oh, well, if it isn't on youtube, then it didn't happen...

Riiiiiiiiiight...

> SSD prices will come down but not for another two years.

And now you're clairvoyant too?
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Jeff Barnett
In reply to this post by Jeff Barnett
Good Guy wrote on 4/17/2018 8:38 PM:

> On 17/04/2018 05:01, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>>
>> Welcome back to the 20th century. Some people actually use their
>> computer - wait for it - to compute things. It's rather amazing how
>> much faster computers are with proper hardware.
>
> Whatever it means by "Proper Hardware", let me tell you old boy. It's
> nothing to do with hardware.  Hardware has become much faster but life
> on a computer hasn't changed at all.  The reason for this is software
> makers are introducing more and more features to make any minute speed
> increase by your "Proper Hardware" become useless. You need proper
> software IOW proper Operating System and Proper application packages.
>> Of course since you are using Windows 10 you have no need for speed
>> since that software provides it for you. For those of us using such
>> things as Photo Shop or playing games the differences are rather
>> spectacular.
> Don't talk to me about Photoshop.  I use Photoshop and I use Adobe
> Creative Cloud and I have been made MVP (Most Valuable Participator) by
> Adobe for my specialism about Adobe products.

Well I see vast differences. If your processing smallish jpg files one
at a time you might even be able to satisfy yourself with an old 32 bit
CPU and machine. On the other hand, if you are doing serious image
processing you can't live without an SSD. Unless you like pain. By the
way MVP, have you ever batch processed dozens of raw images from a
competent camera? You might save 5, 15, or 50 minutes. You might save a
whole lot of money if you do that enough and you make enough per hour.

> Adobe products are the slowest on any hardware and spending a fortune on
> that toy called SSD is not going to improve anything what-so-ever.  5
> seconds is all you'll gain but you'll spend 22 seconds to access your
> Apps on any other drive you might have installed.  You can't install
> Apps on SSD because the size is not likely to be enough.  I tossed it up
> because I could,'t update my Adobe CC and Microsoft Visual Studio
> regularly.  the Apps were installed on D drive but the Operating System
> needs to write some files on C drive which in my case has only 250GB.  
> It was there because a Company that sold me the Desktop put it there.  
> The second drive was 2TB.

You seem to have a love/hate relation with Adobe: Your an MVP who
detests their products. Fits in with your persona in this newsgroup.

> I removed the 250GB drive and cloned it to another Seagate FireCuda 2TB
> drive and now I have 4 TB disk space and my machine runs much faster
> now.  the OS doesn't need to think where to save the data because the
> disk space is quite big for it to put things.  with limited disk space,
> the OS stalls.

Seems like a nice consumer rig for a casual user. I too use an SSD for
the OS, program stores, images to process, and game states but use a few
4TB spinners for longer term storage and utilities, e.g., holding
backups. It seems your making the silly assumption that your 250GB was
to hold everything. You found that wasn't a good idea - most reading
this group would have figured that out before buying and assembling the
iron. Oh, did I mention that I have 64GB 0f 2400 memory and that makes a
good impedance match with my SSD. If you don't have serious memory, the
SSD is throttled.

>> Those confined to lobbing bombs in newsgroups can do without.
>
> WTF are you talking about here.  You need your brain to be scanned for
> any viruses.  Old age can create dementia.  Is this you I am describing?

No. It sounds like you. Are you foaming at the mouth with these
invectives? I really am not convinced you do anything with your
computer(s) except post yellow background messages with bilious contents
to newsgroups.

> In summary, don't waste money on small SSD. If you can afford 1TB and
> more than perhaps but not other wise.  To me I go for value for money.  
> Saving 5 seconds is simply not worth it.  even saving 30 seconds is not
> worth it.  I haven't seen any tests on youtube that shows much
> improvement than 30 seconds.
>
> SSD prices will come down but not for another two years.

For many of us, the price trade point off was crossed several years ago.
Of course that point depends on what you do with your computer. One
other thing: you-tube isn't the greatest place to find vetted technical
data. And about you, I'm suspicious. But I guess with that excellent
Windows 10 you use, all trade offs look different.
--
Jeff Barnett



_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Daniel-2
In reply to this post by Jeff Barnett
Jeff Barnett wrote on 17/04/18 14:01:
> Good Guy wrote on 4/16/2018 6:56 PM:

<Snip>

>> I just tossed away250GB SSD and replaced it with Seagate Firecuda 2TB
>> drive.
>
> Welcome back to the 20th century. Some people actually use their
> computer - wait for it - to compute things. It's rather amazing how much
> faster computers are with proper hardware. Of course since you are using
> Windows 10 you have no need for speed since that software provides it
> for you. For those of us using such things as Photo Shop or playing
> games the differences are rather spectacular. Those confined to lobbing
> bombs in newsgroups can do without.

"Welcome back to the 20th century."??? Really?? Or did you really mean
"Welcome back to the 21st century."??

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
T
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

T
In reply to this post by caver1-5
On 04/18/2018 06:56 AM, Caver1 wrote:

> On 04/17/2018 11:59 PM, T wrote:
>> On 04/17/2018 07:42 AM, Luis wrote:
>>> I agree with you M$ is crap but they lead the industry along with Intel
>>> and the others I also prefer not to mention. However, I have tried Linux
>>> many times and still I'm not convinced. Maybe some day in the future...
>>> who knows... By the way, I have never tried Fedora... hmmmm... Is it the
>>> same gal with different... you know?
>>
>> I forced myself to become a Linux shop.  When I need to
>> look something up for a Windows customer, I use my virtual
>> machines.
>>
>> M$ has won the application wars.  In my opinion, that is the only
>> reason folks use Windows.  It is because they have to: no quick books,
>> no quicken, no point of sale software, yada, yada, yada.   I good
>> fast NVMe drive does go a long way to improving Windows Nein's,
>> oops, Ten's stability.
>>
>> I adore Fedora as they keep up on things.  It is a shining example
>> of Kaisen (constant improvement) in action.  RHEL and clones
>> (CentOS) has the antidote.  I use to use them, but the instability
>> and the outright stress caused by them not keeping things fixed
>> almost drove me INSANE.  RHEL is an anti-Kaisen OS.  Windows,
>> on the other hand, especially Nein, is just a mess.
>>
>> I am absolutely tickled with Fedora, where things get fix.
>>
>> I had to write my own accounting software.
>>
>>
>>
>
> No point of sale software or none that you care for?
>

Oh there are some, just not anything my customers will use.
For every one Linux offering, there must be over 200
for Windows.

What really gets my goat is that I also do PCI (payment
card industry) consulting and Windows is the ABSOLUTE WORST
choice security speaking for a Point-of-Sale software.

And on the medical side, HIPAA compliance will fine the
crap out of you for catching ransomware, which is
a Windows thing and there are ZERO HIPAA packages
that I know out there for Linux.  Windows
again is the WORST choice.

Speaking of none that I care for, GNU Cash look every bit
as good if not better than Quickbooks, except that it
does not do payroll or inventory, which vastly reduces
its acceptance.  And there are ZERO accountants
that will take GNU Cash's files.  They literally
tell you to go home, get a Windows computer and get
Quickbooks.  Do you see a pattern here?

I would adore more Linux customers.  It is just plane fun to
work on and I feel that I am giving my customer's
something of value, instead of a bug riddles hose of cards.








_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

caver1-5
On 04/19/2018 05:00 AM, T wrote:

> On 04/18/2018 06:56 AM, Caver1 wrote:
>> On 04/17/2018 11:59 PM, T wrote:
>>> On 04/17/2018 07:42 AM, Luis wrote:
>>>> I agree with you M$ is crap but they lead the industry along with Intel
>>>> and the others I also prefer not to mention. However, I have tried Linux
>>>> many times and still I'm not convinced. Maybe some day in the future...
>>>> who knows... By the way, I have never tried Fedora... hmmmm... Is it the
>>>> same gal with different... you know?
>>>
>>> I forced myself to become a Linux shop.  When I need to
>>> look something up for a Windows customer, I use my virtual
>>> machines.
>>>
>>> M$ has won the application wars.  In my opinion, that is the only
>>> reason folks use Windows.  It is because they have to: no quick books,
>>> no quicken, no point of sale software, yada, yada, yada.   I good
>>> fast NVMe drive does go a long way to improving Windows Nein's,
>>> oops, Ten's stability.
>>>
>>> I adore Fedora as they keep up on things.  It is a shining example
>>> of Kaisen (constant improvement) in action.  RHEL and clones
>>> (CentOS) has the antidote.  I use to use them, but the instability
>>> and the outright stress caused by them not keeping things fixed
>>> almost drove me INSANE.  RHEL is an anti-Kaisen OS.  Windows,
>>> on the other hand, especially Nein, is just a mess.
>>>
>>> I am absolutely tickled with Fedora, where things get fix.
>>>
>>> I had to write my own accounting software.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> No point of sale software or none that you care for?
>>
>
> Oh there are some, just not anything my customers will use.
> For every one Linux offering, there must be over 200
> for Windows.

Many times this is from a lack of wanting to learn a new system.
And some complain about the plethora of choices in Linux.  :)

> What really gets my goat is that I also do PCI (payment
> card industry) consulting and Windows is the ABSOLUTE WORST
> choice security speaking for a Point-of-Sale software.
>
> And on the medical side, HIPAA compliance will fine the
> crap out of you for catching ransomware, which is
> a Windows thing and there are ZERO HIPAA packages
> that I know out there for Linux.  Windows
> again is the WORST choice.
>
> Speaking of none that I care for, GNU Cash look every bit
> as good if not better than Quickbooks, except that it
> does not do payroll or inventory, which vastly reduces
> its acceptance.  And there are ZERO accountants
> that will take GNU Cash's files.  They literally
> tell you to go home, get a Windows computer and get
> Quickbooks.  Do you see a pattern here?


Once again there are other programs then Gnu Cash. I do agree about the
accountants and Quickbooks.
I thought there was a couple that could spit out the files in Quickbook
format. I could be mistaken as I always did my own accounting.


> I would adore more Linux customers.  It is just plane fun to
> work on and I feel that I am giving my customer's
> something of value, instead of a bug riddles hose of cards.
>
--
Caver1
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Wolf K.
In reply to this post by T
On 2018-04-19 05:00, T wrote:
[...]
> And on the medical side, HIPAA compliance will fine the
> crap out of you for catching ransomware, which is
> a Windows thing and there are ZERO HIPAA packages
> that I know out there for Linux.  Windows
> again is the WORST choice.
[...]

This and the POS software examples I think show why Linux will remain a
niche OS in the small business, professional, and enterprise markets.
There's just not enough money invested in developing Linux applications
for those markets. Devs have to eat, most have families with all that
that implies, etc. Windows and OS-X have the advantage of large small
user bases that are willing to pay for improvements and enhancements to
existing software, but see no reason for switching to alternatives just
to run on a more secure OS. Not that Linux could not compete on its
merits, but merits aren't enough.

Linux competes well in network markets, in large part I think because
historically it was deployed there first. I recall a comment on a Linux
forum some years ago that dissed the attempts to make Linux single-user
friendly. Linux, it claimed, was not a desktop OS and was never intended
to be. But that's another topic.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"The next conference for the time travel design team will be held two
weeks ago."
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

WaltS48-9
In reply to this post by Daniel-2
On 4/19/18 2:39 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Jeff Barnett wrote on 17/04/18 14:01:
>> Good Guy wrote on 4/16/2018 6:56 PM:
>
> <Snip>
>
>>> I just tossed away250GB SSD and replaced it with Seagate Firecuda 2TB
>>> drive.
>>
>> Welcome back to the 20th century. Some people actually use their
>> computer - wait for it - to compute things. It's rather amazing how
>> much faster computers are with proper hardware. Of course since you
>> are using Windows 10 you have no need for speed since that software
>> provides it for you. For those of us using such things as Photo Shop
>> or playing games the differences are rather spectacular. Those
>> confined to lobbing bombs in newsgroups can do without.
>
> "Welcome back to the 20th century."??? Really?? Or did you really mean
> "Welcome back to the 21st century."??
>


No, the 20th because they installed a 2TB hard drive.

If they were in the 21st, they would have replaced it with another SSD
drive.

I'm still in the 20th with my computer.

Plan on moving into the 21st sometime this year with a Ryzen processor,
more RAM, but the drive might still be in the 20th.

--
GO PENS!
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Jeff Barnett
In reply to this post by Daniel-2
Daniel wrote on 4/19/2018 12:39 AM:

> Jeff Barnett wrote on 17/04/18 14:01:
>> Good Guy wrote on 4/16/2018 6:56 PM:
>
> <Snip>
>
>>> I just tossed away250GB SSD and replaced it with Seagate Firecuda 2TB
>>> drive.
>>
>> Welcome back to the 20th century. Some people actually use their
>> computer - wait for it - to compute things. It's rather amazing how
>> much faster computers are with proper hardware. Of course since you
>> are using Windows 10 you have no need for speed since that software
>> provides it for you. For those of us using such things as Photo Shop
>> or playing games the differences are rather spectacular. Those
>> confined to lobbing bombs in newsgroups can do without.
>
> "Welcome back to the 20th century."??? Really?? Or did you really mean
> "Welcome back to the 21st century."??

As written!
--
Jeff Barnett

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

Daniel-2
In reply to this post by WaltS48-9
WaltS48 wrote on 20/04/18 00:01:

> On 4/19/18 2:39 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Jeff Barnett wrote on 17/04/18 14:01:
>>> Good Guy wrote on 4/16/2018 6:56 PM:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>>> I just tossed away250GB SSD and replaced it with Seagate Firecuda
>>>> 2TB drive.
>>>
>>> Welcome back to the 20th century. Some people actually use their
>>> computer - wait for it - to compute things. It's rather amazing how
>>> much faster computers are with proper hardware. Of course since you
>>> are using Windows 10 you have no need for speed since that software
>>> provides it for you. For those of us using such things as Photo Shop
>>> or playing games the differences are rather spectacular. Those
>>> confined to lobbing bombs in newsgroups can do without.
>>
>> "Welcome back to the 20th century."??? Really?? Or did you really mean
>> "Welcome back to the 21st century."??
>
> No, the 20th because they installed a 2TB hard drive.
>
> If they were in the 21st, they would have replaced it with another SSD
> drive.
>
> I'm still in the 20th with my computer.
>
> Plan on moving into the 21st sometime this year with a Ryzen processor,
> more RAM, but the drive might still be in the 20th.
>
"If you're on a good thing, stick to it", Walt!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
T
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

T
In reply to this post by caver1-5
On 04/19/2018 05:36 AM, Caver1 wrote:
> I do agree about the accountants and Quickbooks.

I have had customer with Apple and Quickbooks for
Apple show up at an accounting firm and get told
to go home, get a Windows machine and a Windows copy
of Quickbooks, then come back.  These guys do not
want to learn ANYTHING NEW.  In there defense, Quickbooks
for Apple is tragic.


_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
12