OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

Hi All,

Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.

Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
the Blink engine.

-T

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

Peter-2
On 6/1/2019 1:36 AM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.
>
> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
> the Blink engine.
>
> -T
Don't know which OS you're using.  On my Win 10 Home 64 bit PC, I'm
using up to date Chrome Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit).
  No problem using the current (ver. 3.48) version of AdBlock.

---

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

C. St-Luke
On 2019-06-01 1:36 AM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.

Do you expect us to take your word for it.
Proof required. Links where uBlock origin doesn't work in Chrome.

> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
> the Blink engine.

Isn't Brave a Chrome clone?

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

Don Spam's Reckless Son
EnDeeGee wrote:

> On 2019-06-01 1:36 AM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
>> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.
>>

> Do you expect us to take your word for it.
> Proof required. Links where uBlock origin doesn't work in Chrome.
>
>> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
>> the Blink engine.
>
> Isn't Brave a Chrome clone?

https://developers.slashdot.org/story/19/05/31/2110257/google-struggles-to-justify-why-its-restricting-ad-blockers-in-chrome
carries the story, I did not actually bother to RTFA but it appears to
be a change which is scheduled but has not been released yet.  I've
known about it for around a year (a guess) just by following the
appropriate media.
Since I don't use Chrome (tested but rejected) I don't really care.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

On 2019-06-01 2:20 PM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> EnDeeGee wrote:
>> On 2019-06-01 1:36 AM, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
>>> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.
>>>

>> Do you expect us to take your word for it.
>> Proof required. Links where uBlock origin doesn't work in Chrome.
>>
>>> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
>>> the Blink engine.
>>
>> Isn't Brave a Chrome clone?
>>
> https://developers.slashdot.org/story/19/05/31/2110257/google-struggles-to-justify-why-its-restricting-ad-blockers-in-chrome
> carries the story, I did not actually bother to RTFA but it appears to
> be a change which is scheduled but has not been released yet.  I've
> known about it for around a year (a guess) just by following the
> appropriate media.
> Since I don't use Chrome (tested but rejected) I don't really care.

Thanks for the link.

So Google will block ad-blockers to protect "User Experience".  rotflmao

Way to go Google, make more friends.

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 01/06/2019 19:51, EnDeeGee wrote:

> So Google will block ad-blockers

What exactly is the main business of Google?  Do you know this? Perhaps
it should answer your question.

--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

EnDeeGee wrote:

> On 2019-06-01 2:20 PM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

>>> Do you expect us to take your word for it.
>>> Proof required. Links where uBlock origin doesn't work in Chrome.

>>> Isn't Brave a Chrome clone?
>>>
>> https://developers.slashdot.org/story/19/05/31/2110257/google-struggles-to-justify-why-its-restricting-ad-blockers-in-chrome
>>
>> carries the story, I did not actually bother to RTFA but it appears to
>> be a change which is scheduled but has not been released yet.  I've
>> known about it for around a year (a guess) just by following the
>> appropriate media.
>> Since I don't use Chrome (tested but rejected) I don't really care.
>>

> Thanks for the link.
>
> So Google will block ad-blockers to protect "User Experience".  rotflmao
>
> Way to go Google, make more friends.

At least you read the article.  I'm ill at the moment, with the
attention span of a gnat so I gave it a pass.

On 01/06/2019 20:57, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> At least you read the article.  I'm ill at the moment, with the
> attention span of a gnat so I gave it a pass.

You gave it a pass but I didn't even bother to click on your crap link.
I never do when the site is known to contain crap stuff. slashDot  is
one such site.  Why you bothered to post that link here is beyond me.
Could it be because you call yourself Reckless Spam?

--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
😉 Good Guy 😉 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/06/2019 20:57, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> >
> > At least you read the article.  I'm ill at the moment, with the
> > attention span of a gnat so I gave it a pass.
>
> You gave it a pass but I didn't even bother to click on your crap
> link. I never do when the site is known to contain crap stuff.
> slashDot  is one such site.  Why you bothered to post that link here
> is beyond me. Could it be because you call yourself Reckless
> Spam?

The slashdot link was extremely useful, as drilling through links from
it quickly leads to an interesting analysis by a (the?) uBlock Origin
and uMatrix maintainer.

OTOH, if you remain angry and ignorant and switch from saying "crap
stuff" to saying "fake news", you might grow up to be president.

On 01/06/2019 23:27, »Q« wrote:
> OTOH, if you remain angry and ignorant and switch from saying "crap
> stuff" to saying "fake news", you might grow up to be president.

I don't want to be a president of any country so I shall not call
anything "fake news" because of your low IQ and consequently low
intelligence.

On 6/1/19 8:42 AM, EnDeeGee wrote:

>> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
>> the Blink engine.
>
> Isn't Brave a Chrome clone?

Both use the "Blink" engine.  Brave has build in spay
and add blocking.  Like Firefox with ublock orgin,
but is more cleaver about it and works with more
sites that piss at you if you have an add blocker
installed

On 6/1/19 10:35 PM, T wrote:
> build in spay

spy

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

Richard Alan
T wrote:

> On 6/1/19 10:35 PM, T wrote:
>> build in spay
>
> spy

Thanks for explaining "spay." That was tough to figure out.

build -> built
add -> ad
orgin -> origin
cleaver -> clever

On 6/2/19 5:03 AM, Richard Alan wrote:

> T wrote:
>
>> On 6/1/19 10:35 PM, T wrote:
>>> build in spay
>>
>> spy
>
> Thanks for explaining "spay." That was tough to figure out.
>
> build -> built
> add -> ad
> orgin -> origin
> cleaver -> clever

Stinkin' typos

yo -> you
you -> your
thing -> think
nect -> next
widows -> windows
Windows Nien -> Windows Ten

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

WaltS48-9
On 6/1/19 4:07 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> On 01/06/2019 20:57, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>>
>> At least you read the article.  I'm ill at the moment, with the
>> attention span of a gnat so I gave it a pass.
>>

> You gave it a pass but I didn't even bother to click on your crap link.
> I never do when the site is known to contain crap stuff. slashDot  is
> one such site.  Why you bothered to post that link here is beyond me.
> Could it be because you call yourself Reckless Spam?

Here ere are a couple more.

<https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/30/google-still-on-track-to-limit-ad-blockers-in-chrome/>

<https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/29/google_webrequest_api/>

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.
>
> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
> the Blink engine.
>
> -T

Update to this saga: According to
https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-promises-to-play-nice-with-ad-blockers-again/
the "customer" reaction to this planned change has caused Google to
re-think this change.  I'm still not convinced though, the changes may
be just cosmetic.

On 6/1/19 1:36 AM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.
>
> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
> the Blink engine.
>
> -T

I always thought they were ads. Don't know why they are going to block adds.

<https://www.thefreedictionary.com/adds>

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

Wolf K.
On 2019-06-13 13:11, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 6/1/19 1:36 AM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
>> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.
>>
>> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
>> the Blink engine.
>>
>> -T
>
> I always thought they were ads. Don't know why they are going to block
> adds.
>
> <https://www.thefreedictionary.com/adds>

I think the error is the effect of diminishing reading of extended text,
and hence diminished sensitivity to homonyms. I mean, how would you know
the difference between "adds" and "ads" without reading them often
enough to absorb the difference? In speech, they sound the same, but
their use in phrases and sentences makes perfectly clear what you mean,
Which it also does in text when read aloud. So why the different
spellings? Practically _speaking_, it makes no difference.

Not to mention that spelling is not taught well in Anglo-Saxon
countries, beginning with the confusion of letters and sounds, as in
"long a" and "short "a", which any kid with functioning ears knows is
somehow wrong.

Problem: How do you teach spelling when almost all English sounds have
two or more spellings, and almost all English spellings represent two or
more sounds? Plus, a vowel following a consonant may define the sound
represented by the vowel before the consonant. Plus two consonants
following a vowel may define the sound represented by the vowel.
Plus, the only spelling rules without exceptions are the ones that
describe unique spellings. Plus etc.

Answer: you start by carefully and consistently distinguishing between
sounds and spellings.

It worked for the pupils I taught.

Have a good day,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

rebro
Am 13.06.2019 um 20:16 schrieb Wolf K:

> On 2019-06-13 13:11, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 6/1/19 1:36 AM, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
>>> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.
>>>
>>> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
>>> the Blink engine.
>>>
>>> -T
>>
>> I always thought they were ads. Don't know why they are going to block
>> adds.
>>
>> <https://www.thefreedictionary.com/adds>
>
> I think the error is the effect of diminishing reading of extended text,
> and hence diminished sensitivity to homonyms. I mean, how would you know
> the difference between "adds" and "ads" without reading them often
> enough to absorb the difference? In speech, they sound the same, but
> their use in phrases and sentences makes perfectly clear what you mean,
> Which it also does in text when read aloud. So why the different
> spellings? Practically _speaking_, it makes no difference.
>
> Not to mention that spelling is not taught well in Anglo-Saxon
> countries, beginning with the confusion of letters and sounds, as in
> "long a" and "short "a", which any kid with functioning ears knows is
> somehow wrong.
>
> Problem: How do you teach spelling when almost all English sounds have
> two or more spellings, and almost all English spellings represent two or
> more sounds? Plus, a vowel following a consonant may define the sound
> represented by the vowel before the consonant. Plus two consonants
> following a vowel may define the sound represented by the vowel.
> Plus, the only spelling rules without exceptions are the ones that
> describe unique spellings. Plus etc.
>
> Answer: you start by carefully and consistently distinguishing between
> sounds and spellings.
>
> It worked for the pupils I taught.
>
> Have a good day,

I fully agree. And doing so I remembered a beautiful text from the days
when we were taught English pronunciation: "The Chaos" by Gerard Nolst
Trenité (cf. e. g. <http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html>)

Re: OT: Google forced adds on Chrome

The Real Bev
On 06/13/2019 11:16 AM, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2019-06-13 13:11, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 6/1/19 1:36 AM, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Google just killed to ability to use add blockers from Chrome.
>>> I did notice that you can no longer use ublock orgin on Chrome.
>>>
>>> Brave is the alternative if you really have your heart set on using
>>> the Blink engine.
>>>
>>> -T
>>
>> I always thought they were ads. Don't know why they are going to block
>> adds.
>>
>> <https://www.thefreedictionary.com/adds>
>
> I think the error is the effect of diminishing reading of extended text,
> and hence diminished sensitivity to homonyms. I mean, how would you know
> the difference between "adds" and "ads" without reading them often
> enough to absorb the difference? In speech, they sound the same, but
> their use in phrases and sentences makes perfectly clear what you mean,
> Which it also does in text when read aloud. So why the different
> spellings? Practically _speaking_, it makes no difference.
>
> Not to mention that spelling is not taught well in Anglo-Saxon
> countries, beginning with the confusion of letters and sounds, as in
> "long a" and "short "a", which any kid with functioning ears knows is
> somehow wrong.
>
> Problem: How do you teach spelling when almost all English sounds have
> two or more spellings, and almost all English spellings represent two or
> more sounds? Plus, a vowel following a consonant may define the sound
> represented by the vowel before the consonant. Plus two consonants
> following a vowel may define the sound represented by the vowel.
> Plus, the only spelling rules without exceptions are the ones that
> describe unique spellings. Plus etc.
>
> Answer: you start by carefully and consistently distinguishing between
> sounds and spellings.

An E after a consonant makes the previous vowel say its name.

Make the kids read a lot.  I think I just absorbed the rules (which I
never actually learned;  I didn't learn any grammar until I took French
in 9th grade) along with the memory of how words were spelled.

It also makes a difference in the language a word came from.  French and
German  rules are pretty consistent  and aren't hard to learn.

This stuff was always important to me;  if it's not important to kids,
there's not much you can do except beat them.

> It worked for the pupils I taught.
>
> Have a good day,

Likewise.

--
Cheers, Bev
    There's something wrong with my keyboard.