OT - Font Manager Recommendations

Ann Watson
This is totally off topic to mozilla but does anyone have any
recommendations for a free or inexpensive font management utility for
WinXP  that can handle as many font types as possible (true-type, open,
post script, etc.) ?

Regards,
Ann
--
Remove the FISH from the net to reply

Re: OT - Font Manager Recommendations

Michael Gordon
Ann Watson created this reply On 6/15/2007 8:00 AM
> This is totally off topic to mozilla but does anyone have any
> recommendations for a free or inexpensive font management utility for
> WinXP  that can handle as many font types as possible (true-type, open,
> post script, etc.) ?
>
> Regards,
> Ann

Hello Ann,

Take a look at AMP Font Viewer it will display all your installed fonts
in a list and show a sample in a display window, and you can select the
option to "tile" the font titles and select a font for further study.

http://www.ampsoft.net/

Michael

--
Armadillo Web Design
Opening your door of opportunity

Armadillo Web Design
www.armadilloweb.com

Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...

SeaMonkey
www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
The all in one browser, mail, and composer.
SeaMonkey the "All In One Internet Application Suite"

Re: OT - Font Manager Recommendations

Robert Blair-2
Ann Watson wrote:
> This is totally off topic to mozilla but does anyone have any
> recommendations for a free or inexpensive font management utility for
> WinXP  that can handle as many font types as possible (true-type, open,
> post script, etc.) ?
>
> Regards,
> Ann

I really like (and need) FontSmart Lite.  I have over 240 fonts, with
about 130 of them "installed".

Originally developed by Hewlett Packard for Windows 95, FontSmart works
quite well with WindowsXP.  No longer available from HP, it's still
available at <http://www.activedesign.co.za/software/>.

FontSmart allows you to uninstall fonts (disable them without removing
them).  I categorized my fonts, with each category in a separate folder.
 When I install them using FontSmart, the font file remains in its
folder; but a shortcut to the file is then placed in [C:\WINDOWS\Fonts].

FontSmart displays the list of installed fonts in a right-hand pane and
the list of uninstalled fonts (and their folders) in a left hand pane.
In those lists, a sample of each font is also shown.   You can view any
font, either installed or uninstalled.  You can select a few fonts in
one of the panes and display them together to compare them.  You can
display some of the properties of each font's files.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997

Michael Gordon wrote:

> Ann Watson created this reply On 6/15/2007 8:00 AM
>> This is totally off topic to mozilla but does anyone have any
>> recommendations for a free or inexpensive font management utility for
>> WinXP  that can handle as many font types as possible (true-type,
>> open, post script, etc.) ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ann
>>
> Hello Ann,
>
> Take a look at AMP Font Viewer it will display all your installed fonts
> in a list and show a sample in a display window, and you can select the
> option to "tile" the font titles and select a font for further study.
>
> http://www.ampsoft.net/
>
> Michael

Thank you, Michael, I will have a look at that one.

Ann

David E. Ross wrote:

> Ann Watson wrote:
>> This is totally off topic to mozilla but does anyone have any
>> recommendations for a free or inexpensive font management utility for
>> WinXP  that can handle as many font types as possible (true-type, open,
>> post script, etc.) ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ann
>
> I really like (and need) FontSmart Lite.  I have over 240 fonts, with
> about 130 of them "installed".
>
> Originally developed by Hewlett Packard for Windows 95, FontSmart works
> quite well with WindowsXP.  No longer available from HP, it's still
> available at <http://www.activedesign.co.za/software/>.
>
> FontSmart allows you to uninstall fonts (disable them without removing
> them).  I categorized my fonts, with each category in a separate folder.
>  When I install them using FontSmart, the font file remains in its
> folder; but a shortcut to the file is then placed in [C:\WINDOWS\Fonts].
>
> FontSmart displays the list of installed fonts in a right-hand pane and
> the list of uninstalled fonts (and their folders) in a left hand pane.
> In those lists, a sample of each font is also shown.   You can view any
> font, either installed or uninstalled.  You can select a few fonts in
> one of the panes and display them together to compare them.  You can
> display some of the properties of each font's files.

Thank you, David, for the suggestion.  Only around 240 fonts?  I just
discovered I have somewhere around 625 fonts - which is why I
desperately need a font manager!  My only concern with Font Smart with
what I've been reading about it is that it may only work with TrueType
Fonts.

Ann

Ann Watson wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> Ann Watson wrote:
>>> This is totally off topic to mozilla but does anyone have any
>>> recommendations for a free or inexpensive font management utility for
>>> WinXP  that can handle as many font types as possible (true-type, open,
>>> post script, etc.) ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ann
>> I really like (and need) FontSmart Lite.  I have over 240 fonts, with
>> about 130 of them "installed".
>>
>> Originally developed by Hewlett Packard for Windows 95, FontSmart works
>> quite well with WindowsXP.  No longer available from HP, it's still
>> available at <http://www.activedesign.co.za/software/>.
>>
>> FontSmart allows you to uninstall fonts (disable them without removing
>> them).  I categorized my fonts, with each category in a separate folder.
>>  When I install them using FontSmart, the font file remains in its
>> folder; but a shortcut to the file is then placed in [C:\WINDOWS\Fonts].
>>
>> FontSmart displays the list of installed fonts in a right-hand pane and
>> the list of uninstalled fonts (and their folders) in a left hand pane.
>> In those lists, a sample of each font is also shown.   You can view any
>> font, either installed or uninstalled.  You can select a few fonts in
>> one of the panes and display them together to compare them.  You can
>> display some of the properties of each font's files.
>>
> Thank you, David, for the suggestion.  Only around 240 fonts?  I just
> discovered I have somewhere around 625 fonts - which is why I
> desperately need a font manager!  My only concern with Font Smart with
> what I've been reading about it is that it may only work with TrueType
> Fonts.

It works with .fon, .ttf, and .tt_ files.  It also works with fonts
embedded in a compressed font database (such as provided by HP).  Those
are the only font-file extensions I have.

It works with both the .ttf files whose icons show either TT or O.  I'm
not sure what the difference is between these.

I'm looking for some fonts (especially if they're free):
        Pritchard and Pritchard Lineout
        Optima, Omega, or Zapf Humanist
        Bauhaus light and geometric
        Bordeaux
        Ondine (or any of its alternatives: Formal Script 421,
                Mermaid, Marlin, Calligraphic, Flat Brush, Old Oak,
                Gem [grunged]), Calligrapher)

David E. Ross wrote:

> Ann Watson wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> I really like (and need) FontSmart Lite.  I have over 240 fonts, with
>>> about 130 of them "installed".
>>>
>>> Originally developed by Hewlett Packard for Windows 95, FontSmart works
>>> quite well with WindowsXP.  No longer available from HP, it's still
>>> available at <http://www.activedesign.co.za/software/>.
>>>
>>> FontSmart allows you to uninstall fonts (disable them without removing
>>> them).  I categorized my fonts, with each category in a separate folder.
>>>  When I install them using FontSmart, the font file remains in its
>>> folder; but a shortcut to the file is then placed in [C:\WINDOWS\Fonts].
>>>
>>> FontSmart displays the list of installed fonts in a right-hand pane and
>>> the list of uninstalled fonts (and their folders) in a left hand pane.
>>> In those lists, a sample of each font is also shown.   You can view any
>>> font, either installed or uninstalled.  You can select a few fonts in
>>> one of the panes and display them together to compare them.  You can
>>> display some of the properties of each font's files.
>>>
>> Thank you, David, for the suggestion.  Only around 240 fonts?  I just
>> discovered I have somewhere around 625 fonts - which is why I
>> desperately need a font manager!  My only concern with Font Smart with
>> what I've been reading about it is that it may only work with TrueType
>> Fonts.
>
> It works with .fon, .ttf, and .tt_ files.  It also works with fonts
> embedded in a compressed font database (such as provided by HP).  Those
> are the only font-file extensions I have.
>
> It works with both the .ttf files whose icons show either TT or O.  I'm
> not sure what the difference is between these.
>
> I'm looking for some fonts (especially if they're free):
> Pritchard and Pritchard Lineout
> Optima, Omega, or Zapf Humanist
> Bauhaus light and geometric
> Bordeaux
> Ondine (or any of its alternatives: Formal Script 421,
> Mermaid, Marlin, Calligraphic, Flat Brush, Old Oak,
> Gem [grunged]), Calligrapher)

Thanks, David, for the additional information on this program - perhaps
I did not give it long enough of a shake down.  A few of the fonts
you've mentioned sound familiar and I will start looking at my fonts to
see if they're among them.

Regards,
Ann

David E. Ross wrote:

> Ann Watson wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> I really like (and need) FontSmart Lite.  I have over 240 fonts, with
>>> about 130 of them "installed".
>>>
>>> Originally developed by Hewlett Packard for Windows 95, FontSmart works
>>> quite well with WindowsXP.  No longer available from HP, it's still
>>> available at <http://www.activedesign.co.za/software/>.
>>>
>>> FontSmart allows you to uninstall fonts (disable them without removing
>>> them).  I categorized my fonts, with each category in a separate folder.
>>>  When I install them using FontSmart, the font file remains in its
>>> folder; but a shortcut to the file is then placed in [C:\WINDOWS\Fonts].
>>>
>>> FontSmart displays the list of installed fonts in a right-hand pane and
>>> the list of uninstalled fonts (and their folders) in a left hand pane.
>>> In those lists, a sample of each font is also shown.   You can view any
>>> font, either installed or uninstalled.  You can select a few fonts in
>>> one of the panes and display them together to compare them.  You can
>>> display some of the properties of each font's files.
>>>
>> Thank you, David, for the suggestion.  Only around 240 fonts?  I just
>> discovered I have somewhere around 625 fonts - which is why I
>> desperately need a font manager!  My only concern with Font Smart with
>> what I've been reading about it is that it may only work with TrueType
>> Fonts.
>
> It works with .fon, .ttf, and .tt_ files.  It also works with fonts
> embedded in a compressed font database (such as provided by HP).  Those
> are the only font-file extensions I have.
>
> It works with both the .ttf files whose icons show either TT or O.  I'm
> not sure what the difference is between these.
>
> I'm looking for some fonts (especially if they're free):
> Pritchard and Pritchard Lineout
> Optima, Omega, or Zapf Humanist
> Bauhaus light and geometric
> Bordeaux
> Ondine (or any of its alternatives: Formal Script 421,
> Mermaid, Marlin, Calligraphic, Flat Brush, Old Oak,
> Gem [grunged]), Calligrapher)

Would the following fonts I know I have fit the bill? - Calligrapher
Regular, Flat Brush Normal, Bauhaus 93.  I have other resources on CD
that I will check later.

Ann

On 6/17/2007 5:51 PM, Ann Watson wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> Ann Watson wrote:

>>> Thank you, David, for the suggestion.  Only around 240 fonts?  I just
>>> discovered I have somewhere around 625 fonts - which is why I
>>> desperately need a font manager!  My only concern with Font Smart with
>>> what I've been reading about it is that it may only work with TrueType
>>> Fonts.
>> It works with .fon, .ttf, and .tt_ files.  It also works with fonts
>> embedded in a compressed font database (such as provided by HP).  Those
>> are the only font-file extensions I have.
>>
>> It works with both the .ttf files whose icons show either TT or O.  I'm
>> not sure what the difference is between these.
>>
>> I'm looking for some fonts (especially if they're free):
>> Pritchard and Pritchard Lineout
>> Optima, Omega, or Zapf Humanist
>> Bauhaus light and geometric
>> Bordeaux
>> Ondine (or any of its alternatives: Formal Script 421,
>> Mermaid, Marlin, Calligraphic, Flat Brush, Old Oak,
>> Gem [grunged]), Calligrapher)
>>

> Would the following fonts I know I have fit the bill? - Calligrapher
> Regular, Flat Brush Normal, Bauhaus 93.  I have other resources on CD
> that I will check later.
>
> Ann

Those might be the right ones.  If you could create an image file (JPEG,
GIF, or Bit Map) with samples of upper and lower case, post it on a Web
site, and send me the URL, I can check it to see if any of these are the
ones I want.  My E-mail address can be unmunged from the Organization
header of this message.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997

Re: OT - Font Manager Recommendations

squaredancer
On 15/06/2007 15:00, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ann Watson to
generate the following:? :
> This is totally off topic to mozilla but does anyone have any
> recommendations for a free or inexpensive font management utility for
> WinXP  that can handle as many font types as possible (true-type, open,
> post script, etc.) ?
>
> Regards,
> Ann

may be something here for you....

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwfont.html

but I don't know just how "up to date" the links are!
reg

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 6/17/2007 5:51 PM, Ann Watson wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> It works with .fon, .ttf, and .tt_ files.  It also works with fonts
>>> embedded in a compressed font database (such as provided by HP).  Those
>>> are the only font-file extensions I have.
>>>
>>> It works with both the .ttf files whose icons show either TT or O.  I'm
>>> not sure what the difference is between these.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for some fonts (especially if they're free):
>>> Pritchard and Pritchard Lineout
>>> Optima, Omega, or Zapf Humanist
>>> Bauhaus light and geometric
>>> Bordeaux
>>> Ondine (or any of its alternatives: Formal Script 421,
>>> Mermaid, Marlin, Calligraphic, Flat Brush, Old Oak,
>>> Gem [grunged]), Calligrapher)
>>>
>> Would the following fonts I know I have fit the bill? - Calligrapher
>> Regular, Flat Brush Normal, Bauhaus 93.  I have other resources on CD
>> that I will check later.
>>
>> Ann
>>

> Those might be the right ones.  If you could create an image file (JPEG,
> GIF, or Bit Map) with samples of upper and lower case, post it on a Web
> site, and send me the URL, I can check it to see if any of these are the
> ones I want.  My E-mail address can be unmunged from the Organization
> header of this message.

I'll see what I can do, David, about posting those samples.  It probably
won't be until early next week, though, as am going out of town today
for a few days.

Regards,
Ann

--
Remove the FISH from the net to reply

Re: OT - Font Manager Recommendations

desertgal
David E. Ross wrote:

> Ann Watson wrote:
>
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> I really like (and need) FontSmart Lite.  I have over 240 fonts, with
>>> about 130 of them "installed".
>>>
>>> Originally developed by Hewlett Packard for Windows 95, FontSmart works
>>> quite well with WindowsXP.  No longer available from HP, it's still
>>> available at <http://www.activedesign.co.za/software/>.
>>>
>>> FontSmart allows you to uninstall fonts (disable them without removing
>>> them).  I categorized my fonts, with each category in a separate folder.
>>>  When I install them using FontSmart, the font file remains in its
>>> folder; but a shortcut to the file is then placed in [C:\WINDOWS\Fonts].
>>>
>>> FontSmart displays the list of installed fonts in a right-hand pane and
>>> the list of uninstalled fonts (and their folders) in a left hand pane.
>>> In those lists, a sample of each font is also shown.   You can view any
>>> font, either installed or uninstalled.  You can select a few fonts in
>>> one of the panes and display them together to compare them.  You can
>>> display some of the properties of each font's files.
>>>

>> Thank you, David, for the suggestion.  Only around 240 fonts?  I just
>> discovered I have somewhere around 625 fonts - which is why I
>> desperately need a font manager!  My only concern with Font Smart with
>> what I've been reading about it is that it may only work with TrueType
>> Fonts.
>>

> It works with .fon, .ttf, and .tt_ files.  It also works with fonts
> embedded in a compressed font database (such as provided by HP).  Those
> are the only font-file extensions I have.
>
> It works with both the .ttf files whose icons show either TT or O.  I'm
> not sure what the difference is between these.
>
> I'm looking for some fonts (especially if they're free):
> Pritchard and Pritchard Lineout
> Optima, Omega, or Zapf Humanist
> Bauhaus light and geometric
> Bordeaux
> Ondine (or any of its alternatives: Formal Script 421,
> Mermaid, Marlin, Calligraphic, Flat Brush, Old Oak,
> Gem [grunged]), Calligrapher)

David,

I'm just catching up on the messages.  I have several styles of
Bordeaux  & a Calligraphy style if you still need them.  Surprisingly,
out of my 1100 fonts, these are the only ones I have that you're looking
for.
If you want them, my email is below, you should be able to figure it out.

Nancy
desertgal at hudnuts3 dot com