OT: CCleaner

Luis
Today Talos Intelligence published an article titled "CCleanup: A Vast
Number of Machines at Risk".

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html

I was scared at first but noted that the article mentions CCleaner
32-bit version only and nothing regarding the 64-bit which is the one I
use. Fortunately, if you're interested, Piriform published a
clarification on this matter that is worth reading it.

http://www.piriform.com/news/release-announcements/2017/9/18/security-notification-for-ccleaner-v5336162-and-ccleaner-cloud-v1073191-for-32-bit-windows-users

Re: OT: CCleaner

Jim Fisher
.On 18 Sep 2017 at 10:15, Luis wrote:

> Today Talos Intelligence published an article titled "CCleanup: A Vast
> Number of Machines at Risk".
>
> http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html
>
> I was scared at first but noted that the article mentions CCleaner
> 32-bit version only and nothing regarding the 64-bit which is the one I
> use. Fortunately, if you're interested, Piriform published a
> clarification on this matter that is worth reading it.
>
> http://www.piriform.com/news/release-announcements/2017/9/18/security-notificati
> on-for-ccleaner-v5336162-and-ccleaner-cloud-v1073191-for-32-bit-windows-users

Thanks for the tip. I haven't run CCleaner for ages, but checking I found I
have an ancient version 2 installed. I've now downloaded the latest and will
instal and run it later today.

Jim Fisher
--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy

Re: OT: CCleaner

Ray_Net
Jim Fisher wrote on 18-09-17 21:01:

> .On 18 Sep 2017 at 10:15, Luis wrote:
>
>> Today Talos Intelligence published an article titled "CCleanup: A Vast
>> Number of Machines at Risk".
>>
>> http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html
>>
>> I was scared at first but noted that the article mentions CCleaner
>> 32-bit version only and nothing regarding the 64-bit which is the one I
>> use. Fortunately, if you're interested, Piriform published a
>> clarification on this matter that is worth reading it.
>>
>> http://www.piriform.com/news/release-announcements/2017/9/18/security-notificati
>> on-for-ccleaner-v5336162-and-ccleaner-cloud-v1073191-for-32-bit-windows-users
>>
> Thanks for the tip. I haven't run CCleaner for ages, but checking I found I
> have an ancient version 2 installed. I've now downloaded the latest and will
> instal and run it later today.
>
> Jim Fisher
The first and only time when I runned ccleaner ... ended with 4 programs
not working anymore ...
and Windows had also problems that I was not able to correct.

Re: OT: CCleaner

Poutnik-2
Dne 18/09/2017 v 22:46 Ray_Net napsal(a):

> The first and only time when I runned ccleaner ... ended with 4 programs
> not working anymore ...
> and Windows had also problems that I was not able to correct.

As I have run CC many times during multiple years,
I guess the fault is somewhere else.

--
Poutnik

Re: OT: CCleaner

WaltS48-5
On 9/18/17 11:15 AM, Luis wrote:

> Today Talos Intelligence published an article titled "CCleanup: A Vast
> Number of Machines at Risk".
>
> http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html
>
> I was scared at first but noted that the article mentions CCleaner
> 32-bit version only and nothing regarding the 64-bit which is the one I
> use. Fortunately, if you're interested, Piriform published a
> clarification on this matter that is worth reading it.
>
> http://www.piriform.com/news/release-announcements/2017/9/18/security-notification-for-ccleaner-v5336162-and-ccleaner-cloud-v1073191-for-32-bit-windows-users

Never wasted my time with it.

--
Go Bucs, Pitt, Steelers!
Native Americans should have had a hard line immigration stance

Re: OT: CCleaner

Poutnik-2
Dne 18/09/2017 v 23:24 WaltS48 napsal(a):

> On 9/18/17 11:15 AM, Luis wrote:
>> Today Talos Intelligence published an article titled "CCleanup: A Vast
>> Number of Machines at Risk".
>>
>> http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html
>>
>> I was scared at first but noted that the article mentions CCleaner
>> 32-bit version only and nothing regarding the 64-bit which is the one
>> I use. Fortunately, if you're interested, Piriform published a
>> clarification on this matter that is worth reading it.
>>
>> http://www.piriform.com/news/release-announcements/2017/9/18/security-notification-for-ccleaner-v5336162-and-ccleaner-cloud-v1073191-for-32-bit-windows-users
>>

> Never wasted my time with it.

People should be more scared by Blueborne...

--
Poutnik

Re: OT: CCleaner

Ray_Net
Poutnik wrote on 18-09-17 23:01:
> Dne 18/09/2017 v 22:46 Ray_Net napsal(a):
>
>> The first and only time when I runned ccleaner ... ended with 4 programs
>> not working anymore ...
>> and Windows had also problems that I was not able to correct.
> As I have run CC many times during multiple years,
> I guess the fault is somewhere else.

No, because ccleaner removed important files ....

Re: OT: CCleaner

Poutnik-2
Dne 19/09/2017 v 00:28 Ray_Net napsal(a):

> Poutnik wrote on 18-09-17 23:01:
>> Dne 18/09/2017 v 22:46 Ray_Net napsal(a):
>>
>>> The first and only time when I runned ccleaner ... ended with 4 programs
>>> not working anymore ...
>>> and Windows had also problems that I was not able to correct.
>> As I have run CC many times during multiple years,
>> I guess the fault is somewhere else.
>>
> No, because ccleaner removed important files ....

No, you did. You also did not review properly
what it is going to remove.

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

Re: OT: CCleaner

Ray_Net
Poutnik wrote on 19-09-17 06:37:

> Dne 19/09/2017 v 00:28 Ray_Net napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote on 18-09-17 23:01:

>>> As I have run CC many times during multiple years,
>>> I guess the fault is somewhere else.
>>>
>> No, because ccleaner removed important files ....
> No, you did. You also did not review properly
> what it is going to remove.

How can I know in advance if ONE of the huge list of files is important ?

Re: OT: CCleaner

Ron Hunter
On 9/18/2017 11:37 PM, Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 19/09/2017 v 00:28 Ray_Net napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote on 18-09-17 23:01:

>>> As I have run CC many times during multiple years,
>>> I guess the fault is somewhere else.
>>>
>> No, because ccleaner removed important files ....
>
> No, you did. You also did not review properly
> what it is going to remove.

Correct on both counts, however, when one has been using a program for
several years, and installs an update, one should reasonably expect it
NOT to delete new classes of stored information without warning.  A
mistake I will NOT make again.

Re: OT: CCleaner

Poutnik-2
Dne 19/09/2017 v 08:08 Ray_Net napsal(a):

> Poutnik wrote on 19-09-17 06:37:

>>> No, because ccleaner removed important files ....
>> No, you did. You also did not review properly
>> what it is going to remove.
>>
> How can I know in advance if ONE of the huge list of files is important ?

You could know in advance
it is not safe to remove files
if you are not sure if they are important or not.

Said by other words, one should remove only those files
one does know it is safe to remove.

You have the final responsibility and you have failed.

It is like picking mushrooms.
One should pick only those one knows well.
If one gets poisoned, it is not right
to blame people advising him to pick mushrooms.

Dne 19/09/2017 v 08:13 Ron Hunter napsal(a):

> Correct on both counts, however, when one has been using a program for
> several years, and installs an update, one should reasonably expect it
> NOT to delete new classes of stored information without warning.  A
> mistake I will NOT make again.

People prefer to blame themselves in the last place,
rejecting responsibility for their acting.

Update itself and review list are warnings.

A knife should not be used with the eyes closed.
It can be unexpectedly sharper than last time.
The best to keep it away from those who do not care enough.

People do mistakes.
If that surprises anybody, it is not their fault.
Their fault is their mistake itself only.

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

Re: OT: CCleaner

PietB-2
Poutnik wrote:
> As I have run CC many times during multiple years,

Lots of people have wasted a lot of time running a popular
solution for a non-existent problem.

-p

Re: OT: CCleaner

PietB-2
Poutnik wrote:
> People should be more scared by Blueborne...

Really?
BlueBorne requires Bluetooth to be on plus someone with the
appropriate tools plus this person being within Bluetooth
range of your device. How big then is the risk really?

-p

Re: OT: CCleaner

Luis
Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 19/09/2017 v 08:08 Ray_Net napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote on 19-09-17 06:37:

>>> No, you did. You also did not review properly
>>> what it is going to remove.
>>>
>> How can I know in advance if ONE of the huge list of files is important ?
>
> You could know in advance
> it is not safe to remove files
> if you are not sure if they are important or not.
>
> Said by other words, one should remove only those files
> one does know it is safe to remove.
>
> You have the final responsibility and you have failed.
>
> It is like picking mushrooms.
> One should pick only those one knows well.
> If one gets poisoned, it is not right
> to blame people advising him to pick mushrooms.

I like this.  In short, rookies can't go to pick mushrooms unless they
are supervised by one who knows which mushrooms are safe to eat.

Re: OT: CCleaner

Ray_Net
Luis wrote on 19-09-17 14:39:

> Poutnik wrote:

>>> How can I know in advance if ONE of the huge list of files is
>>> important ?
>>
>> You could know in advance
>> it is not safe to remove files
>> if you are not sure if they are important or not.
>>
>> Said by other words, one should remove only those files
>> one does know it is safe to remove.
>>
>> You have the final responsibility and you have failed.
>>
>> It is like picking mushrooms.
>> One should pick only those one knows well.
>> If one gets poisoned, it is not right
>> to blame people advising him to pick mushrooms.
>>
> I like this.  In short, rookies can't go to pick mushrooms unless they
> are supervised by one who knows which mushrooms are safe to eat.
That's exactly my case - I never know which file can be removed -
CCLEANER is a shit ! And and it's not my fault !

Re: OT: CCleaner

Ray_Net
Poutnik wrote on 19-09-17 08:49:

> Dne 19/09/2017 v 08:13 Ron Hunter napsal(a):
>
>> Correct on both counts, however, when one has been using a program for
>> several years, and installs an update, one should reasonably expect it
>> NOT to delete new classes of stored information without warning.  A
>> mistake I will NOT make again.
>>
> People prefer to blame themselves in the last place,
> rejecting responsibility for their acting.
>
> Update itself and review list are warnings.
>
> A knife should not be used with the eyes closed.
> It can be unexpectedly sharper than last time.
> The best to keep it away from those who do not care enough.
>
> People do mistakes.
> If that surprises anybody, it is not their fault.
> Their fault is their mistake itself only.

So following your idea:
- We never should run ccleaner.
- We never should accept an update ... but SeaMonkey INSIST to upgrade ....

If we do something, this is ALWAYS our fault ....
(If a dog bites you, this is your fault)

Re: OT: CCleaner

Ron Hunter
On 9/19/2017 3:13 AM, PietB wrote:

> Poutnik wrote:
>> People should be more scared by Blueborne...
>
> Really?
> BlueBorne requires Bluetooth to be on plus someone with the
> appropriate tools plus this person being within Bluetooth
> range of your device. How big then is the risk really?
>
> -p

I only turn on Bluetooth when it is necessary to use it.  And someone
who might want to infect me with a virus would have to be within 30 feet
or so.  Not much exposure there.

Re: OT: CCleaner

Ron Hunter
On 9/19/2017 10:06 AM, Ray_Net wrote:

> Poutnik wrote on 19-09-17 08:49:
>> Dne 19/09/2017 v 08:13 Ron Hunter napsal(a):
>>
>>> Correct on both counts, however, when one has been using a program for
>>> several years, and installs an update, one should reasonably expect it
>>> NOT to delete new classes of stored information without warning.  A
>>> mistake I will NOT make again.
>>>
>> People prefer to blame themselves in the last place,
>> rejecting responsibility for their acting.
>>
>> Update itself and review list are warnings.
>>
>> A knife should not be used with the eyes closed.
>> It can be unexpectedly sharper than last time.
>> The best to keep it away from those who do not care enough.
>>
>> People do mistakes.
>> If that surprises anybody, it is not their fault.
>> Their fault is their mistake itself only.
>>
> So following your idea:
> - We never should run ccleaner.
> - We never should accept an update ... but SeaMonkey INSIST to upgrade ....
>
> If we do something, this is ALWAYS our fault ....
> (If a dog bites you, this is your fault)
So, it is my brother's fault that Harvey flooded his home to a depth of
5 feet.  I am sure he will take issue with that.

Re: OT: CCleaner

Sailfish-4
9/19/2017 9:50 AM:

> On 9/19/2017 10:06 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
>> Poutnik wrote on 19-09-17 08:49:

>>> People prefer to blame themselves in the last place,
>>> rejecting responsibility for their acting.
>>>
>>> Update itself and review list are warnings.
>>>
>>> A knife should not be used with the eyes closed.
>>> It can be unexpectedly sharper than last time.
>>> The best to keep it away from those who do not care enough.
>>>
>>> People do mistakes.
>>> If that surprises anybody, it is not their fault.
>>> Their fault is their mistake itself only.
>>>
>> So following your idea:
>> - We never should run ccleaner.
>> - We never should accept an update ... but SeaMonkey INSIST to upgrade
>>
>> If we do something, this is ALWAYS our fault ....
>> (If a dog bites you, this is your fault)
> So, it is my brother's fault that Harvey flooded his home to a depth of
> 5 feet.  I am sure he will take issue with that.

If he lives in Houston or many of its outlying suburbs then, while it's
not his fault but that doesn't mean he's not faultless, if this article
is correct; especially if he hadn't had flood insurance.

Still, it's a tragic situation.

REF:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/31/us/houston-harvey-flooding-urban-planning/index.html

[excerpt quote=\"
It's not like the nation's fourth-largest city isn't aware of the
problem. Tropical Storm Allison triggered mass flooding and caused 20
Texas deaths in 2001. Last April, storms in Houston flooded more than
1,000 homes and were blamed for $5 billion in property damage.
\" /]

--
Sailfish