OS with brightness as lumens per screen rather than pixel

OS with brightness as lumens per screen rather than pixel

Jonathan Chetwynd
OS with brightness as lumens per screen rather than pixel

Is there an operating system which calculates the overall brightness
of the screen rather than per pixel, and allows one to adjust this
setting as brightness?

cheers

Jonathan Chetwynd

I've found that for some years I have been maximising the brightness
setting to view films and minimising for other applications such as
writing emails, browsing or playing GO.
I do have sensitive eyes.

one obvious consideration might be that to some extent temporal
changes in brightness might be somewhat muted. eg when headlamps on
beam fill the screen in a film.

as my daughter aged 10 suggests "it should just memorise what one
likes for each application".

Re: OS with brightness as lumens per screen rather than pixel

Calum Benson
On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 18:38 +0000, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

> one obvious consideration might be that to some extent temporal
> changes in brightness might be somewhat muted. eg when headlamps on
> beam fill the screen in a film.
>
> as my daughter aged 10 suggests "it should just memorise what one
> likes for each application".

I'm guessing it also depends on environmental factors though, e.g.
whether the room is bright or dark?  I know Apple laptops have an
ambient light sensor built in so that OSX can adjust the screen
brightness accordingly, so remembering a relative brightness setting
per-app could potentially work there.  Dunno how prevalent that feature
is in other hardware, though.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:[hidden email]            Java Desktop System Group