OS/2 support thread in mozilla.dev.platform

OS/2 support thread in mozilla.dev.platform

Cameron Kaiser-2
Heads up, they're talking about pulling more code out.

Cameron Kaiser
Tier-3 port, A-1 guy

Re: OS/2 support thread in mozilla.dev.platform

Steve Wendt
On 7/25/2017 8:05 PM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> Heads up, they're talking about pulling more code out.

Thanks!  People already pointed out that NSPR and NSS are separate
projectes, and that Cairo isn't their code, and I pointed out that's
true for libvpx and libffi as well.  Hopefully, they don't get carried
away on purging stuff they shouldn't, although bitwise has been steadily
moving away from using bundled libraries for their branch.

Re: OS/2 support thread in mozilla.dev.platform

Frank-Rainer Grahl-3
Unless you port Rust you can forget new releases anyway. The sourcecode is
going to the dogs also with or after Fx 57 when the classic extensions code is
removed. I would try to get ESR52 building next. SeaMonkey 2.49.1 is working
nice too.
FRG

Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 7/25/2017 8:05 PM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>
>> Heads up, they're talking about pulling more code out.
>
> Thanks!  People already pointed out that NSPR and NSS are separate projectes,
> and that Cairo isn't their code, and I pointed out that's true for libvpx and
> libffi as well.  Hopefully, they don't get carried away on purging stuff they
> shouldn't, although bitwise has been steadily moving away from using bundled
> libraries for their branch.

Re: OS/2 support thread in mozilla.dev.platform

Dave Yeo-3
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> Unless you port Rust you can forget new releases anyway.

It's hard to imagine Rust getting ported, sounds hard enough for systems
already supporting LLVM.

> The sourcecode
> is going to the dogs also with or after Fx 57 when the classic
> extensions code is removed. I would try to get ESR52 building next.
> SeaMonkey 2.49.1 is working nice too.

Eventually Bitwise will hopefully port 52ESR, unluckily they're always a
year behind it seems and I don't have the skills to port it.
Has SeaMonkey decided what its future will be?
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> Unless you port Rust you can forget new releases anyway.
>
> It's hard to imagine Rust getting ported, sounds hard enough for systems
> already supporting LLVM.

I agree. Its essentially Alpha software and a moving target. But it
needs to be ported or you won't see an Fx release beyond 53.

> Eventually Bitwise will hopefully port 52ESR, unluckily they're always a
> year behind it seems and I don't have the skills to port it.
> Has SeaMonkey decided what its future will be?

Continue to being called dead I assume. The walking fossil :)

Next hurdle is Fx 57. We try to get an ESR 59 (2.56) with classic
extensions still enabled out. This is only possible if not too much code
is removed so that we can add it back. I think TB plans to do the same
Then its porting Web Extensions and we are also now starting setting up
our own build infrastructure.

e10s and Web Extensions will probably cause a long delay for getting out
stable releases. But I still don't see a Gecko fork getting off the
ground to which we could dock on.

The future is uncertain but we don't plan to discontinue the project yet.

FRG

On 7/30/17 10:44 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> Unless you port Rust you can forget new releases anyway.
>
> It's hard to imagine Rust getting ported, sounds hard enough for systems
> already supporting LLVM.

I pretty much abandoned that effort for TenFourFox; recent LLVM doesn't
even work on Tiger OS X, and Rust needs thread-local storage on top of
that. At this point it's consisting of keeping 45 alive with backported
security and some feature patches. That might be what has to be done for
the OS/2 version, except you could do it with ESR52, potentially.

Cameron Kaiser
3-tiers for May, see Emily play