Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

WaltS48
First MyYahoo, now this.

[quote]You spoke and we listened. We are proud to show you our new
experience...[/quote]

Can't use the Weather Channel without disabling Adblock Plus for the domain.

I'm glad it isn't my main weather site.

[/rant off]

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

David E. Ross-3
On 10/7/2013 7:30 AM, WaltS wrote:

> First MyYahoo, now this.
>
> [quote]You spoke and we listened. We are proud to show you our new
> experience...[/quote]
>
> Can't use the Weather Channel without disabling Adblock Plus for the domain.
>
> I'm glad it isn't my main weather site.
>
> [/rant off]

I get my forecasts for Southern California from the National Weather
Service.  If you are in the U.S., go to <http://www.nws.noaa.gov/> to
find your own local forecasts.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam, flames, and trolling from that source.

On 10/07/2013 12:57 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 10/7/2013 7:30 AM, WaltS wrote:
>> First MyYahoo, now this.
>>
>> [quote]You spoke and we listened. We are proud to show you our new
>> experience...[/quote]
>>
>> Can't use the Weather Channel without disabling Adblock Plus for the domain.
>>
>> I'm glad it isn't my main weather site.
>>
>> [/rant off]
>>

> I get my forecasts for Southern California from the National Weather
> Service.  If you are in the U.S., go to <http://www.nws.noaa.gov/> to
> find your own local forecasts.

I suppose I could add the NWS site to my other three weather bookmarks,
now that I have removed the Weather Channel.

My favorite is Intellicast, which is a member of the Weather Channel
group. They haven't messed it up yet.

Also have Wunderground, and (In)Accuweather bookmarked.

I'll peruse the NWS site after the ball game. GO BUCS!

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

NFN Smith-2
WaltS wrote:
> First MyYahoo, now this.
>
> [quote]You spoke and we listened. We are proud to show you our new
> experience...[/quote]

... actually, I didn't say anything at all.

But it's yet another site that has succumbed to the idea the delivery
has to have lots of pop-ups, animations, and other script-heavy content
management.

To me, this is an example of one of those places where they trumpet "for
your benefit", where the changes are there for their benefit, any real
or perceived benefit to the end user is merely a coincidence.

> Can't use the Weather Channel without disabling Adblock Plus for the domain.

And temporary disabling of NoScript.

Taking a look at the number of scripting hosts, I can guess that they've
contracted with a number of ad delivery networks, and that by doing a
lot script-based stuff that requires user response, they're getting a
lot more data that they can monetize.

As for AdBlock, I suspect that their filters will get updated.
Unfortunately, one of the effects of script-based stuff is that it makes
it harder on tools like AdBlock.  Maybe that's part of the intent.

As for Yahoo, I'm finding that if I'm logged in to my.yahoo, the content
display is fine, but any content deliver that happens outside of that is
abominable, especially in working around AdBlock and NoScript

> I'm glad it isn't my main weather site.
>
> [/rant off]

Me, too.  Glad I found that weatherunderground still supports "classic"
mode.

Smith

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
NFN Smith wrote:

> But it's yet another site that has succumbed to the idea the delivery
> has to have lots of pop-ups, animations, and other script-heavy content
> management.

How true.

I read about ten different news sites every day. In the last month, seven
of them -- *seven* -- have been "redesigned" to "improve my experience."
Every single one of them has gotten worse; one is now completely unusable
in any browser. Contacting them has not produced a single response.

--
   -bts

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

Jay Garcia
On 07.10.2013 09:30, WaltS wrote:

> [quote]You spoke and we listened. We are proud to show you our new
> experience...[/quote]
>
> Can't use the Weather Channel without disabling Adblock Plus for the
> domain.
>
> I'm glad it isn't my main weather site.
>
> [/rant off]

Wow, you got to the comment before I did ... yup!!

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

On 07.10.2013 14:35, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>> But it's yet another site that has succumbed to the idea the delivery
>> has to have lots of pop-ups, animations, and other script-heavy content
>> management.
>
> How true.
>
> I read about ten different news sites every day. In the last month, seven
> of them -- *seven* -- have been "redesigned" to "improve my experience."
> Every single one of them has gotten worse; one is now completely unusable
> in any browser. Contacting them has not produced a single response.

I liked it better when sites programmed for Lynx back in the day!

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/
Mozilla Mozillian Member - www.mozillians.org

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

NFN Smith-2
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> NFN Smith wrote:
>
>> But it's yet another site that has succumbed to the idea the delivery
>> has to have lots of pop-ups, animations, and other script-heavy content
>> management.
>
> How true.
>
> I read about ten different news sites every day. In the last month, seven
> of them -- *seven* -- have been "redesigned" to "improve my experience."
> Every single one of them has gotten worse; one is now completely unusable
> in any browser. Contacting them has not produced a single response.

"La, la, la.... I can't HEAR you!"

And if you get any response, it will be a canned PR message, with drivel
about how they listen to their customers and are looking for the best
possible experience for them.

And they'll keep insisting that right up until the time that they
quietly change things (in response to intense customer objection) --
that is, of course if there is enough customer objection to force them
to change.  Even Microsoft can sometimes be bullied into changing
things, but if a site is successful enough in raising its revenue
streams, they're unlikely to change.

Smith

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

Joy Beeson
On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 09:57:46 -0700, "David E. Ross"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I get my forecasts for Southern California from the National Weather
> Service.  If you are in the U.S., go to <http://www.nws.noaa.gov/> to
> find your own local forecasts.

AND senators like to fly, so the weather-service Web pages were
granted an exemption from the shut-up.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

The Real Bev
On 10/07/2013 01:00 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 07.10.2013 14:35, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> NFN Smith wrote:
>>
>>> But it's yet another site that has succumbed to the idea the delivery
>>> has to have lots of pop-ups, animations, and other script-heavy content
>>> management.
>>
>> How true.
>>
>> I read about ten different news sites every day. In the last month, seven
>> of them -- *seven* -- have been "redesigned" to "improve my experience."
>> Every single one of them has gotten worse; one is now completely unusable
>> in any browser. Contacting them has not produced a single response.
>>

> I liked it better when sites programmed for Lynx back in the day!

Me too.  What's wrong with text?  Pictures are OK, but text is the whole
point...mostly.

I think people are becoming dumber and less demanding.  If I go to a
company's website I generally want information, not an "experience".
Same with email.

OTOH, some things DO need to be experienced.  This is one of them:
http://www.wimp.com/bestcoin/

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

Daniel-257
The Real Bev wrote:

> On 10/07/2013 01:00 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

>>> How true.
>>>
>>> I read about ten different news sites every day. In the last month,
>>> seven
>>> of them -- *seven* -- have been "redesigned" to "improve my experience."
>>> Every single one of them has gotten worse; one is now completely
>>> unusable
>>> in any browser. Contacting them has not produced a single response.
>>>

>> I liked it better when sites programmed for Lynx back in the day!
>
> Me too.  What's wrong with text?  Pictures are OK, but text is the whole
> point...mostly.
>
> I think people are becoming dumber and less demanding.  If I go to a
> company's website I generally want information, not an "experience".
> Same with email.
>
> OTOH, some things DO need to be experienced.  This is one of them:
> http://www.wimp.com/bestcoin/

"A picture is worth a thousand words", and a word is, on average (I
think), five characters (which includes the space between words, I
think), that would mean a picture is worth five thousand characters!!

So a 5k jpeg gets you what sort of a picture??

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/21.0 SeaMonkey/2.18 Build identifier: 20130418192405

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/24.0 SeaMonkey/2.21 Build identifier: 20130827183508

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

Was Greywolf
On 2013-10-10 2:21 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/07/2013 01:00 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
[...]

>>> I read about ten different news sites every day. In the last month,
>>> seven
>>> of them -- *seven* -- have been "redesigned" to "improve my experience."
>>> Every single one of them has gotten worse; one is now completely
>>> unusable
>>> in any browser. Contacting them has not produced a single response.
>>>

>> I liked it better when sites programmed for Lynx back in the day!
>
> Me too.  What's wrong with text?  Pictures are OK, but text is the whole
> point...mostly.
>
> I think people are becoming dumber and less demanding.  If I go to a
> company's website I generally want information, not an "experience".
> Same with email. [...]

Ditto.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

The Real Bev wrote:
> I think people are becoming dumber and less demanding.  If I go to a
> company's website I generally want information, not an "experience".
> Same with email.

Either people want to be entertained, or developers think that people
want to be entertained.  And it's reinforced by the "everybody is doing
it" idea.  And of course, there's the Millennial/Gen-Y angle, as well.

I think in some cases, some of it is overkill by developers who have new
tools that are trying to show them off, and the result is gratuitous
use, where the tools are used because they're there, rather than because
there's a real need for them.

Smith

On 2013-10-10 12:22 PM, NFN Smith wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> I think people are becoming dumber and less demanding.  If I go to a
>> company's website I generally want information, not an "experience".
>> Same with email.
>

> Either people want to be entertained, or developers think that people
> want to be entertained.  And it's reinforced by the "everybody is doing
> it" idea.  And of course, there's the Millennial/Gen-Y angle, as well.
>
> I think in some cases, some of it is overkill by developers who have new
> tools that are trying to show them off, and the result is gratuitous
> use, where the tools are used because they're there, rather than because
> there's a real need for them.
>
> Smith

Consider that in some jurisdictions, ISPs charged by metered usage. In
others, a data-cap is part of the contract. That flim-flam and glitz can
cost you money.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

On 10/07/2013 10:30 AM, WaltS wrote:

> First MyYahoo, now this.
>
> [quote]You spoke and we listened. We are proud to show you our new
> experience...[/quote]
>
> Can't use the Weather Channel without disabling Adblock Plus for the
> domain.
>
> I'm glad it isn't my main weather site.
>
> [/rant off]

The update to Adblock Plus 2.4 allows me to black ads on this site
again, and the site now loads without problems.

Still don't like the unwarranted and unrequested change.

Wolf K. wrote:

> Consider that in some jurisdictions, ISPs charged by metered usage. In
> others, a data-cap is part of the contract. That flim-flam and glitz can
> cost you money.

Yep.  There's a lot of people for whom "push everything to the net"
doesn't work very well.

Hey, there's still plenty of people out there who still use dial-up
connections -- especially outside of North America, Western Europe and
East Asia.

Smith

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

LnrB-3
The Real Bev wrote:

> On 10/07/2013 01:00 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> >> How true.
> >>
> >> I read about ten different news sites every day. In the last month, seven
> >> of them -- *seven* -- have been "redesigned" to "improve my experience."
> >> Every single one of them has gotten worse; one is now completely unusable
> >> in any browser. Contacting them has not produced a single response.
> >>

> > I liked it better when sites programmed for Lynx back in the day!
>
> Me too.  What's wrong with text?  Pictures are OK, but text is the whole
> point...mostly.
>
> I think people are becoming dumber and less demanding.  If I go to a
> company's website I generally want information, not an "experience".
> Same with email.
>
> OTOH, some things DO need to be experienced.  This is one of them:
> http://www.wimp.com/bestcoin/

WOW!!
(';')

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

Ned-18
On 10/10/2013 1:21 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> OTOH, some things DO need to be experienced.  This is one of them:
> http://www.wimp.com/bestcoin/

Thank you, that made my whole day.
-- Ned --

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

jetjock
Ned wrote:

>On 10/10/2013 1:21 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>

>>OTOH, some things DO need to be experienced.  This is one of them:
>>http://www.wimp.com/bestcoin/
>>

>Thank you, that made my whole day.
>-- Ned --

A big +1!

Re: Now the developers have ruined the Weather Channel

Ant-21
On 10/7/2013 7:30 AM PT, WaltS typed:

> First MyYahoo, now this.
>
> [quote]You spoke and we listened. We are proud to show you our new
> experience...[/quote]
>
> Can't use the Weather Channel without disabling Adblock Plus for the
> domain.
>
> I'm glad it isn't my main weather site.
>
> [/rant off]

Report the false positives then?
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the