Not possible to compile SM 31 under Windows

Not possible to compile SM 31 under Windows

markus.moenig
Hi,

myself and several contractors I put on it are unable to get SM 31 to compile on Windows.

I use Windows 8.1 with Visual Express 2013 and always get

Cannot open include file 'prcvar.h' which indicates that the NSPR include directory is not found. Copying files, editing makefiles was in vain.

I tried all the command line options explained in the guide and in this forum.

I know that there is another thread open for this, but it did not receive too much attention. As far as I can see it is impossible to build under Windows right now without inside knowledge or the perfect system.

Thanks, Markus

Re: Not possible to compile SM 31 under Windows

Terrence Cole-3
Here's what I did to build SpiderMonkey on Windows 8.1:

1) Install Visual Express 2013; boot it up once to make sure all MS's yaks
are shaved and the thing is more or less working.
2) Close Visual Studio.
3) Install mozilla-build. The version I have installed is 1.11.0, but
whatever is most recent should work fine.
4) I created a shortcut on the desktop for start-shell-msvc2013.bat.
5) Double click the shortcut to get a new shell.
6) mkdir -p moz/trunk; cd moz/trunk
7) hg clone http://hg.mozilla.org/integration/mozilla-inbound # Or any
other mozilla tree; you probably want http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-release
8) cd ..; mkdir branch; cd branch
9) hg clone ../trunk/mozilla-inbound 1
10) cd 1/js/src
11) autoconf-2.13
12) mkdir objdir; cd objdir
13) ../configure --enable-debug --enable-optimize
14) mozmake.exe -s -j4

And to test that everything actually worked:

15) ./dist/bin/jsapi-tests.exe
16) ../jit-test/jit_test.py dist/bin/js --tbpl

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Markus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> myself and several contractors I put on it are unable to get SM 31 to
> compile on Windows.
>
> I use Windows 8.1 with Visual Express 2013 and always get
>
> Cannot open include file 'prcvar.h' which indicates that the NSPR include
> directory is not found. Copying files, editing makefiles was in vain.
>
> I tried all the command line options explained in the guide and in this
> forum.
>
> I know that there is another thread open for this, but it did not receive
> too much attention. As far as I can see it is impossible to build under
> Windows right now without inside knowledge or the perfect system.
>
> Thanks, Markus

Re: Not possible to compile SM 31 under Windows

markus.moenig

Thanks Terrence, that worked !!

However I cannot compile against it using my cmake script, I get stuff like

C:\Users\markusm\Documents\visualgraphics\sdl2_host\main.cpp(49) : error C2065:
'JS_DeletePropertyStub' : undeclared identifier
C:\Users\markusm\Documents\visualgraphics\sdl2_host\main.cpp(52) : error C2065:
'JS_EnumerateStub' : undeclared identifier
C:\Users\markusm\Documents\visualgraphics\sdl2_host\main.cpp(53) : error C2065:
'JS_ResolveStub' : undeclared identifier
C:\Users\markusm\Documents\visualgraphics\sdl2_host\main.cpp(54) : error C2065:
'JS_ConvertStub' : undeclared identifier
C:\Users\markusm\Documents\visualgraphics\sdl2_host\main.cpp(92) : error C2065:
'JS_USE_HELPER_THREADS' : undeclared identifier
C:\Users\markusm\Documents\visualgraphics\sdl2_host\main.cpp(100) : error C2664:
 'JSErrorReporter JS_SetErrorReporter(JSRuntime *,JSErrorReporter)' : cannot con
vert argument 1 from 'JSContext *' to 'JSRuntime *'
        Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-
style cast or function-style cast

Any ideas ? Do I use the wrong version of SpiderMonkey ? In http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release should be SM 31 right ?

Thanks, Markus

Re: Not possible to compile SM 31 under Windows

Ryan VanderMeulen
On 6/9/2015 12:14 AM, Markus wrote:
> Any ideas ? Do I use the wrong version of SpiderMonkey ? In http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release should be SM 31 right ?

Spidermonkey 31 is based on the esr31 tree.
http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-esr31

Re: Not possible to compile SM 31 under Windows

Jason Orendorff-2
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Markus <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Any ideas ? Do I use the wrong version of SpiderMonkey ? In
> http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release should be SM 31 right ?

No, mozilla-release is 38. You want the link Ryan sent.

Thank you, Terrence.

-j

On 6/9/2015 7:53 AM, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Markus <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Any ideas ? Do I use the wrong version of SpiderMonkey ? In
>> http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release should be SM 31 right ?
>>

> No, mozilla-release is 38. You want the link Ryan sent.
>
> Thank you, Terrence.
>
> -j

Even for SM38, you want the esr38 tree rather than mozilla-release.

Re: Not possible to compile SM 31 under Windows

markus.moenig
Thanks for all the suggestions. While I could compile all the SM 38 builds, switching to mozilla-esr31 generates these errors:

generating out/tmp/coll/res_index.txt (list of installed collation locales)
generating out/tmp/brkitr/res_index.txt (list of installed break locales)
./out/tmp/brkitr\res_index.txt:3: warning: Encountered empty array
generating out/tmp/rbnf/res_index.txt (list of installed RBNF locales)
./out/tmp/rbnf\res_index.txt:3: warning: Encountered empty array
ALL_CFU_SOURCE: c:/Users/markusm/moz/branch/3/intl/icu/source/data/unidata/confu
sables.txt c:/Users/markusm/moz/branch/3/intl/icu/source/data/unidata/confusable
sWholeScript.txt
CFU_FILES: ./out/build/icudt52l/confusables.cfu
CFU_FILES_SHORT: confusables.cfu
gencfu writes dummy out/build/icudt52l/confusables.cfu because of UCONFIG_NO_REG
ULAR_EXPRESSIONS and/or UCONFIG_NO_NORMALIZATION and/or UCONFIG_NO_FILE_IO, see
uconfig.h
generating out/tmp/icudata.lst (list of data files)
genccode: --match-arch cpu=332 bits=32 big-endian=0
pkgdata: LIB.exe /nologo /out:"../lib/sicudtd.lib" "./out/tmp\icudt52l_dat.obj"
Note: rebuild with "c:/mozilla-build/mozmake/mozmake VERBOSE=1 all-local" to sho
w all compiler parameters.
c:/Users/markusm/moz/branch/3/config/recurse.mk:39: recipe for target 'compile'
failed
mozmake[1]: *** [compile] Error 2
c:/Users/markusm/moz/branch/3/config/rules.mk:592: recipe for target 'default' f
ailed
mozmake: *** [default] Error 2

---

Seems I am out of luck with SM31 somehow. Any ideas ?

Thanks, Markus