No DVD Playback in Windows 8

WaltS-3
Just came across this on the interwebs. Do you have it in the CP?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/windows_media_dvd_playback_dead/

--
Thunderbird (14.0a2) Earlybird | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
Some people just have to pass on the right, when you are supposed to

Re: No DVD Playback in Windows 8

Tarkus-3
On 5/4/2012 7:13 AM, WLS wrote:
> Just came across this on the interwebs. Do you have it in the CP?
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/windows_media_dvd_playback_dead/

Yes, it looks just like WMC7 in the CP.

Re: No DVD Playback in Windows 8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/4/2012 7:13 AM:
> Just came across this on the interwebs. Do you have it in the CP?
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/windows_media_dvd_playback_dead/

Un-frigging-believable! I don't know who's been advising them on these
decisions but somebody with some sense really ought to tell Ballmer and
company that the emperor has no cloths.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

On 05/04/2012 12:39 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/4/2012 7:13
> AM:
>> Just came across this on the interwebs. Do you have it in the CP?
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/windows_media_dvd_playback_dead/
>>
> Un-frigging-believable! I don't know who's been advising them on these
> decisions but somebody with some sense really ought to tell Ballmer and
> company that the emperor has no cloths.

Maybe no clothes or cloths. LOL!

It has been all over the news that DVD is going the way of 8-track,
cassette, VHS, vinyl, https in the address bar, favicons in the identity
block, and whatever.

Streaming media is the future, so I guess this is a kick in the butt to
help it along.

It annoys me that Netflix doesn't support my OS, or I probably would
stream, instead of getting a DVD in the mail a couple times a week.

--
Thunderbird (14.0a2) Earlybird | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
Some people just have to pass on the right, when you are supposed to
pass on the left. Depending on the country.

Re: No DVD Playback in Windows 8

Jay Garcia
On 04.05.2012 12:04, WLS wrote:

>> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/4/2012 7:13
>> AM:
>>> Just came across this on the interwebs. Do you have it in the CP?
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/windows_media_dvd_playback_dead/
>>>
>> Un-frigging-believable! I don't know who's been advising them on these
>> decisions but somebody with some sense really ought to tell Ballmer and
>> company that the emperor has no cloths.
>>

> Maybe no clothes or cloths. LOL!
>
> It has been all over the news that DVD is going the way of 8-track,
> cassette, VHS, vinyl, https in the address bar, favicons in the identity
> block, and whatever.
>
> Streaming media is the future, so I guess this is a kick in the butt to
> help it along.
>
> It annoys me that Netflix doesn't support my OS, or I probably would
> stream, instead of getting a DVD in the mail a couple times a week.

Things are going to have to change a lot before 3D Movies will stream to
my LG Cinerama TV and be 100% viewable w/o problems.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: No DVD Playback in Windows 8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/4/2012
10:04 AM:

> On 05/04/2012 12:39 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/4/2012 7:13
>> AM:
>>> Just came across this on the interwebs. Do you have it in the CP?
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/windows_media_dvd_playback_dead/
>>>
>> Un-frigging-believable! I don't know who's been advising them on these
>> decisions but somebody with some sense really ought to tell Ballmer and
>> company that the emperor has no cloths.
>>

> Maybe no clothes or cloths. LOL!
>
> It has been all over the news that DVD is going the way of 8-track,
> cassette, VHS, vinyl, https in the address bar, favicons in the identity
> block, and whatever.
>
> Streaming media is the future, so I guess this is a kick in the butt to
> help it along.
>
> It annoys me that Netflix doesn't support my OS, or I probably would
> stream, instead of getting a DVD in the mail a couple times a week.

Perhaps, but very few desktops come without them and I've read that CD
sales are still doing quite well and expected to be around well into the
foreseeable future. Many, like me, purchase CDs and rip them and store
the CD as a master. That way if my digital copy gets trashed (disk
crash, deleted, &c) I still have the master to go back to.

It really is becoming more and more obvious that Microsoft has no real
expectations on the existing Win-x install base moving to Win8, imo.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: No DVD Playback in Windows 8

Ron Hunter
On 5/4/2012 11:39 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/4/2012 7:13
> AM:
>> Just came across this on the interwebs. Do you have it in the CP?
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/windows_media_dvd_playback_dead/
>>
> Un-frigging-believable! I don't know who's been advising them on these
> decisions but somebody with some sense really ought to tell Ballmer and
> company that the emperor has no cloths.

Right, and no clothes, either.  Grin.

On 5/4/2012 12:24 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 04.05.2012 12:04, WLS wrote:

I guess it depends on how fast your connection is.  I can imagine that
HD 3D movies would take a bit of bandwidth.

On 5/4/2012 12:40 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/4/2012
> 10:04 AM:
>> On 05/04/2012 12:39 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/4/2012 7:13
>>> AM:

>>> Un-frigging-believable! I don't know who's been advising them on these
>>> decisions but somebody with some sense really ought to tell Ballmer and
>>> company that the emperor has no cloths.
>>>

>> Maybe no clothes or cloths. LOL!
>>
>> It has been all over the news that DVD is going the way of 8-track,
>> cassette, VHS, vinyl, https in the address bar, favicons in the identity
>> block, and whatever.
>>
>> Streaming media is the future, so I guess this is a kick in the butt to
>> help it along.
>>
>> It annoys me that Netflix doesn't support my OS, or I probably would
>> stream, instead of getting a DVD in the mail a couple times a week.
>>
> Perhaps, but very few desktops come without them and I've read that CD
> sales are still doing quite well and expected to be around well into the
> foreseeable future. Many, like me, purchase CDs and rip them and store
> the CD as a master. That way if my digital copy gets trashed (disk
> crash, deleted, &c) I still have the master to go back to.
>
> It really is becoming more and more obvious that Microsoft has no real
> expectations on the existing Win-x install base moving to Win8, imo.

It is my sincere hope that OEMs will tell MS that their customers aren't
going to want to relearn everything they have spent 20 years learning,
and then they won't have features they really liked?  Is MS suicidal?

On 5/4/2012 10:40 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> Many, like me, purchase CDs and rip them and store the CD as a master.
> That way if my digital copy gets trashed (disk crash, deleted, &c) I
> still have the master to go back to.

You know that you can store copies of digital albums too, don't you?
You can even store them on a cloud for free (Google Play).

Re: No DVD Playback in Windows 8

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Tarkus graced us with on 5/4/2012
5:26 PM:
> On 5/4/2012 10:40 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Many, like me, purchase CDs and rip them and store the CD as a master.
>> That way if my digital copy gets trashed (disk crash, deleted, &c) I
>> still have the master to go back to.
>
> You know that you can store copies of digital albums too, don't you? You
> can even store them on a cloud for free (Google Play).

I'm not sure what you mean by "digital albums", MP3 CDs maybe? Sorry, I
don't do or trust the cloud. Also, even what limited amount of CDs that
I've ripped already accounts for close to 40GBs and 11K tracks. It's
much easier for me to add hard disk storage when the need arises.

On 5/4/2012 10:44 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Tarkus graced us with on 5/4/2012
> 5:26 PM:
>> On 5/4/2012 10:40 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> Many, like me, purchase CDs and rip them and store the CD as a master.
>>> That way if my digital copy gets trashed (disk crash, deleted, &c) I
>>> still have the master to go back to.
>>
>> You know that you can store copies of digital albums too, don't you?
>> You can even store them on a cloud for free (Google Play).
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "digital albums", MP3 CDs maybe? Sorry, I
> don't do or trust the cloud. Also, even what limited amount of CDs that
> I've ripped already accounts for close to 40GBs and 11K tracks. It's
> much easier for me to add hard disk storage when the need arises.

When considering cloud services, I always consider just how much data I
need to SEND, at 3mpbs (which is faster than most cable users have), and
conclude my connection isn't really 'cloud ready'.  My cloud usage right
now is just as a temporary conduit between my phone and my computers.

Re: No DVD Playback in Windows 8

Sailfish-2
5/5/2012 1:03 AM:

> On 5/4/2012 10:44 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Tarkus graced us with on 5/4/2012
>> 5:26 PM:
>>>
>>> You know that you can store copies of digital albums too, don't you?
>>> You can even store them on a cloud for free (Google Play).
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "digital albums", MP3 CDs maybe? Sorry, I
>> don't do or trust the cloud. Also, even what limited amount of CDs that
>> I've ripped already accounts for close to 40GBs and 11K tracks. It's
>> much easier for me to add hard disk storage when the need arises.
>>
> When considering cloud services, I always consider just how much data I
> need to SEND, at 3mpbs (which is faster than most cable users have), and
> conclude my connection isn't really 'cloud ready'.  My cloud usage right
> now is just as a temporary conduit between my phone and my computers.

That's about all I would use it for until forced.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: No DVD Playback in Windows 8

Was Greywolf
On 04/05/2012 8:26 PM, Tarkus wrote:
> On 5/4/2012 10:40 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Many, like me, purchase CDs and rip them and store the CD as a master.
>> That way if my digital copy gets trashed (disk crash, deleted, &c) I
>> still have the master to go back to.
>
> You know that you can store copies of digital albums too, don't you? You
> can even store them on a cloud for free (Google Play).

I don't trust anything electronic for permanent storage. If you need
power to read it, it's not archival.

Wolf K.

On 5/5/2012 7:12 AM, Greywolf wrote:

> On 04/05/2012 8:26 PM, Tarkus wrote:
>> On 5/4/2012 10:40 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> Many, like me, purchase CDs and rip them and store the CD as a master.
>>> That way if my digital copy gets trashed (disk crash, deleted, &c) I
>>> still have the master to go back to.
>>
>> You know that you can store copies of digital albums too, don't you? You
>> can even store them on a cloud for free (Google Play).
>

> I don't trust anything electronic for permanent storage. If you need
> power to read it, it's not archival.
>
> Wolf K.
Chisel it in stone, and it STILL isn't permanent.  20 or 30 thousand
years from now, it will be eroded away.  Grin.

On 5/5/2012 5:12 AM, Greywolf wrote:

> On 04/05/2012 8:26 PM, Tarkus wrote:
>> On 5/4/2012 10:40 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> Many, like me, purchase CDs and rip them and store the CD as a master.
>>> That way if my digital copy gets trashed (disk crash, deleted, &c) I
>>> still have the master to go back to.
>>
>> You know that you can store copies of digital albums too, don't you? You
>> can even store them on a cloud for free (Google Play).
>
> I don't trust anything electronic for permanent storage. If you need
> power to read it, it's not archival.

I guess that rules out CDs.

On 06.05.2012 00:48, Tarkus wrote:

>>> You know that you can store copies of digital albums too, don't you? You
>>> can even store them on a cloud for free (Google Play).
>>
>> I don't trust anything electronic for permanent storage. If you need
>> power to read it, it's not archival.
>
> I guess that rules out CDs.

Hmmm, we knew what the Egyptians were doing 5000 years ago by
deciphering the chisel marks on the walls. Maybe we should just opt for
that method. :-)